Marathon Weekend

by Sarah on October 30, 2012 · 21 comments

An e-mail with the subject “Feeling Spontanous?” couldn’t have come at a better time.

I don’t know that Lauren knew how much I needed a mental (and physical) getaway, so when she invited me up to Frederick for the weekend to surprise our beloved friend-through-blogging Heather, who was running in the Marine Corps Marathon, I quickly jumped at the chance to go.

see how excited I was? (sorry for stealing the pic, Lauren!)

Saturday afternoon–following a 10-mile run (which I did solely because I knew the great FRANKENSTORM of 2012 was on its way and I might not be able to run outside for a few days)and an incredible experiment with a new vegan protein powder

#proats w. hemp hearts, goji berries, thawed mango chunks, and big lots-discovered muesli

(It serously makes my oats taste like a Good Humor strawberry shortcake ice cream bar.)

–I threw together a big ol’ mess of a salad for the road–(Yes, spinach topped with mushrooms, cucumbers, tomatoes, crumbled tofu, hummus, nutritional yeast, BBQ seasoning, and mango-peach salsa is what I consider appropriate road trip food.)–packed lighter than I ever have before*, and headed up to Frederick.

*This would be more impressive without the Sandy-proofing rainboots and jacket. I munched on a Cinnamon Pecan Simply Bar with my salad, but didn’t want to fill up too much. Lauren and her husband, Greg, have been taking on a vegan experiment, and having seen some of her recent recipes, I knew I wanted to be ready to partake with gusto.I am VERY glad I saved room in my stomach. Lauren not only put together an incredible salad––featuring roasted squash, apples, sunflower seeds, sprouts, and a mess of other wonders, topped with homemade apple walnut dressing––she made super delicious vegan veggie pizza on a spelt beer crust, modeled after this recipe.And because it was us, there were matching sides of marinara sauce in bowls for dipping. [The sauce was a blend of crushed tomatoes and Trader Joe's artichoke tapenade.]When she first pulled out the mustard, I said, “Oh, for the salad!” (Because we all know that is a wonderfully weird idea…)

see it lurking in the back there?

But then I remembered one of the weird food movement combinations that brings us blend-friends together, and knew we were eating our pizza Lauren-style. :) If you thought that was all, well, you’d be wrong. We still had a vegan Apple Cranberry Crockpot ‘Cobbler’ (adapted from this recipe) with homemade maple cashew cream to consume. [With baby spoons, of course. Yet another reason our blendship was meant to be.]Lauren did a fabulous job of recapping the rest of the weekend alreadyso much so that I even borrowed her post title-but it passed in a blur of my first Bodypump AND Spinning experiences (she is a WONDERFUL trainer)…

I love visiting someone where it is considered normal to wake up super early on a Sunday, grab fitmixer from the fridge, and SWEAT :)

…a ‘bug’ of TVP ‘proats’ with cranberries, bananas, and a Jackson Pollock-esque drizzle of creamy peanut butter, taken to go…

first time in a long time i haven't had to pack ziploc bags of grains and powders in order to have my usual breakfast

…a successful surprise for Heather at the end of the marathon (!)…

clearly sign-making is how we should all spend a saturday night :)

…and lunch at Pizza Paradisio, which offers vegan cheese, but where I happily chose the Insalate Giardinaria, since I KNOW Lauren’s homemade pizza was 100% better than what they could make.The leftovers of that pizza were sent home with me, along with a bag of carrots and bell peppers, sparkling water, and other yummy goodies. Just when you thought a shared love of tiny silverware, extra sauce on pizza, and flavored coffee in the morning was all we had in common, we also prefer our carrots with their clothes on. :) THANK YOU to Lauren and Greg for taking me in and being such wonderful hosts. I had so much fun visiting and spending a crazy day in the city surprising Heather.

Now, if only I’d remembered to steal some more of those frozen peanut butter chocolate kamut puff balls from your freezer before I left….

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More October 30, 2012 at 7:43 am

What a great weekend! I wish I lived close enough to join you two! :)

Fran@BCDC October 30, 2012 at 8:11 am

Looks like a great weekend, Sarah! I recently heard of adding TVP to your oats. Great idea!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table October 30, 2012 at 9:30 am

Awwww… my Blends! I love your to-go meals, that beer crust, and the fact that you guys are digging the TVP oatmeal!

P.S. You don’t peel carrots before eating them?!

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning October 30, 2012 at 2:44 pm

Heck no- waste of time! Just scrub ‘em real good. :)

lindsay October 30, 2012 at 3:55 pm

is it wrong that i never peel anything. okay except bananas! wish i was there this weekend cheering too! looked like a blast!

lindsay October 30, 2012 at 3:56 pm

ahh and i meant to put a ? in there. Don’t scold me teacher

Sarah November 1, 2012 at 2:36 pm

What she said.

Tiff (@LoveSweatBeers) October 30, 2012 at 2:20 pm

I didn’t realize it was a surprise visit. That makes it even MORE awesome! :) The only thing that could have made it better was getting a pizza a Pizza Paradiso – I miss that place!

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning October 30, 2012 at 2:43 pm

Awwww…. I love this!! :) It was SO great to have you come visit- and even more awesome to surprise Heather! My throat actually HURT after you left from talking so much!
I need that bowl of proats you ate on the way up- sounds delicious!!
And isn’t that beer crust pizza the bomb? That is one of the many reasons why we eat pizza every Friday (or Saturday and Sunday too…)

Allie October 30, 2012 at 3:41 pm

Aww, I love all three of you! And pfft, sign-making is totally an acceptable way to spend a Saturday night. After eating lots and lots of delicious food.

Allie October 30, 2012 at 3:45 pm

I totally vote sauce! Because a thick “meaty” curry sauce over squash? Ohhh my gosh, I want that right now. It’s cold, it’s gray, I can think of nothing better. Well, the sudden ability to comfortably digest lentils would be pretty cool too. But this would totally be worth eating anyway.

Sarah November 1, 2012 at 2:35 pm

I eat the lentils for lunch. It makes for a rather uncomfortable afternoon.

Worth it.

Lindsay's List October 30, 2012 at 3:53 pm

wow! i’m so incredibly jealous! (and not of the mustard pizza)
I miss you guys SO much – I can’t wait to spend a weekend in Utah come May! I’ll braid your hair and we can sing campfire songs.

Sarah November 1, 2012 at 2:35 pm

You can only braid my hair if you eat mustard on your s’more.

I will, however, still sing Kumbaya if you don’t.

char eats greens October 30, 2012 at 3:54 pm

And I think I seriously need to steal your eats!!! Thanks for reminding me about Lauren and her hubby’s journey. I remember reading her original post and can’t wait to go back over to her blog and see where they’re at now. Such an awesome little experiment!!! And so nice of them to take you in!!

Liz @ iheartvegetables October 30, 2012 at 4:38 pm

That sounds like such a fun way to spend the weekend! I’m jealous you got to hang out with Heather!! :) Wanna come make some signs here for Adrienne and I for the Richmond race? ;)

Sarah November 1, 2012 at 2:34 pm

Of COURSE I do…but I will be getting back WAY late Saturday night/wee hours of Sunday morning from going back up to DC for Stephen Kellogg & The Sixers!!!

Heather @ Better With Veggies October 30, 2012 at 6:03 pm

Man, I’m sad I missed out on part of this weekend fun, but can’t tell you how much it meant that you came up to cheer me on. It was a GREAT surprise and one I will remember for a long time!! Love you!!

Brittany @ Delights and Delectables October 30, 2012 at 8:38 pm

Awww!! You girls are too fun. Next time, I’m hiding in your suitcase. We need to plan a meetup for sure!

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli October 31, 2012 at 5:01 am

Strawberry shortcake bar turned proats? Omg!

I just saw Lauren’s weekend recap last night. Looks like you girls had an AMAZING time together…I’m totally jealous! And now I want some pizza…with mustard AND that peanut butter ball!! Yum!

When I headed out to St. Louis, I packed a bowl of roasted eggplant and green beans that were coated in garlic fig spread and hemp seeds…then in the car, I threw in a package of Perky Jerky, stirred it all together and called it lunch! Yeah, so your salad looks totally normal to me! ;) Lol

holly November 2, 2012 at 11:44 am

hope you ladies enjoyed the pizza! i haven’t met either of you, but i’ve heard fabulous things about you both, so i hope that changes very soon :)