Everything on a Wasa [WIAW]

by Sarah on October 3, 2012 · 14 comments

It started innocently enough, with a (sadly typical) excessive amount of food purchases from Big Lots.

[Little did we all know they were a hot bed of vegan friendly treats, all marked with the orange sticker of discount glory.]The first time I could argue that I bought so much because half some of my purchases would end up going towards my Vegan Food Swap package…but when I went BACK to Big Lots, ostensibly ”for a new brush,” I couldn’t deny the sad truth:

I have developed a minor food fixation* on wasa.

*I prefer fixation to obsession, as I can clearly live without them…but at the moment, I don’t want to.

further fixation proof? ripping open this package in a fit of hunger after school. yes, sometimes laziness prevents me from bringing in dry goods from the car.

Despite my astounding abilities in baking breads, I’ve never been much of a ‘bread head.’ Maybe it is my new running obsession, but lately the (occasionally crunchy) carb cravings have been through the roof. So much so that my life feels a bit like a ‘don’t judge me for finding cardboard appealing’ version of the kid-friendly Newbery Award-winner Everything on a Waffle.

I have a catalogue of children's lit in my head, despite not having read most of them. This is what teaching elementary school does to you.

It’s just a bonus that they are vegan friendly.

Maybe you think they are tasteless, Jenn and followers of the weekly round up that is What I Ate On a Wasa Wednesday, but the way I see it, that just means you get to have more fun with what you jazz them up with.Wonderful.

sourdough topped with trader joe's tomato basil hummus + raw tempeh, with dijon mustard and veggies

Weird.

pinjur sauce-mashed tofu and roasted delicata rings

Wonky.

vanilla plant fusion protein goop with peanut butter applesauce and bananas

Wait.

(Didn’t we just see that?)

a much more composed version, with PB2 drizzle

Wild.

vanilla spice tempt hemp protein + raspberries + granola

Wicked.

chocolate plant fusion + PB2 paste + love grown cocoa goodness granola

Why…

with three sisters cinnamon sweets, kashi indigo morning, and 365 brown rice crisps

….NOT go ahead and crumble them up onto a bowl of cereal?

people say kashi tastes like cardboard...so is this really all that different?

And before you accuse me of just using wasa crispbreads as a means for furthering the advancement of my newfound proclivity for protein powders…

since vanilla plant fusion tastes like cake, i totally should have put sprinkles on this.

…well, that’sanother post for another (what I ate wednes)day.

seeing the picture again is NOT as satisfying as eating it again

What wasa wonder will we witness….next?*

*I hate when alliteration falls apart like that.

Maria October 3, 2012 at 1:31 am

I spotted our sailor friend, Captain Crunch!

I’ve never had a Wasa cracker…looks like I need to get on that.

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table October 3, 2012 at 2:25 am

Is it weird that the one with the hemp powder topping looks the best to me… because it is green?

P.S. You can also toast them a little after topping them with a cinnamon-laced protein goop mix. It’s lke cinnamon-toasty-goop-crackers.

Fran@ Broken Cookies Don't Count October 3, 2012 at 4:38 am

I think I remember eating Wasa years ago. Vaguely cardboard-ish, but it was rye flavor which made up for the cardboardiness!

Jessie October 3, 2012 at 7:07 am

I’ve been debating on purchasing wasa crackers for a while now. Thank you for convincing me to finally get some!

Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers October 3, 2012 at 8:12 am

Ain’t no shame in Wasa love. I too am a big fan, but I can’t say I’ve ever dressed mine up so much.

Eating 4 Balance October 3, 2012 at 8:31 am

I love big lots too! There orange stickers just make me feel so much better buying stuff! And the food selections are out of this world. I mean, they have roasted edamame, NUTELLA and Kashi Cereal… all cheap… in one place?!

Natasha October 3, 2012 at 8:43 am

Hmmm i’ve never had wasa crackers before
you may have convinced me through pictures to pick up some haha

Courtney October 3, 2012 at 10:11 am

you made out at big lot, who knew! i am doing the vegan food swap this month also, seemed like the right thing to do starting vegan mofo!

Carla October 3, 2012 at 10:35 am

Hmm…I’m going to agree with you where you blamed your love of Wasa crackers on running-induced carb cravings…cuz there ain’t a whole lot else that would make me eat those things again… ;) WHICH by the way, I want to say: You go girl, for taking up running so much lately!

Allie October 3, 2012 at 2:10 pm

Okay, so I’ve clearly been drooling all over your wasa-creations on IG already, love that you put ‘em together for a post! You even convinced me to wander into Big Lots the other day ;D Didn’t find any Wasa, but they were in the middle of rearranging the grocery section, so I think that’s why. I WILL return, and find myself some crispy, crunchy, hearty, magnificent cardboard of my own.

Heather @ Better With Veggies October 3, 2012 at 3:34 pm

I want to see a picture of you eating that wasa/protein powder combo with sprinkles – that sounds awesome!! And Big Lots? Really? So impressed!

Susan October 3, 2012 at 5:26 pm

Wow, you got so creative with the Wasa crackers! :)
My husband is Swedish, so he grew up eating these with butter and cheese and maybe a slice of cucumber for decoration. ;)

Miss Polkadot October 3, 2012 at 7:45 pm

“What wasa wonder will we witness…. weekly/wednes-daily?”
Okay, sorry, that’s lame …

I never thought I’d say this but you may or may not have made me crave Wasa – and I never was keen on them. I’ve been associating them as “weird, bland diet food” but looking at your creative concoctions makes me hungry. Never thought of using it as cereal and all of these toppings … yum!

Brittany @ Delights and Delectables October 3, 2012 at 9:11 pm

You are so creative! I wish they were gluten free!! Is that tempt hemp protein good??? I need a hemp protein powder!!