Buggin’ Out [WIAW]

by Sarah on October 24, 2012 · 15 comments

It’s not that I hate plates.

I just really like bowls.

french toast 'soy'gurt bowl with cereal and crumbled wasa crackers

Or even, you know, “bowls” made out of food.

kuri squash stuffed with couscous and pineapple, covered in mustard and HP sauce

I do, however, get incredibly frustrated by tiny mugs. [You know, the 'normal' sized ones that hold the amount of coffee we are actually supposed to drink.] With mugs, size does matter.

It should come as no surprise, then, that my favorite servingware piece is a combination of the two: a perfect combination of giant-sized mug and deep, handled bowl.

Bug [noun]: bowl [slash] mug.

raffi inspired o-pple and ban-ono oats. which i like to 'oat.'

There hasn’t been much spookin’ or Halloweenin’ around these parts, Jenn, but there HAS been a whole lot of creepy, crawly buggin’.

Food is a little more comforting when you can cup it in your hands to eat it.

trader joe's vanilla soy yogurt 'bug' w. cereal, apples, and frozen berries

I usually don’t even use the handle.

proats w. roasted grapes and apples, chopped dates, and chai-spiced wegman's fiber essentials cereal

But I really like knowing that it is there.

TVP-roats w. previously frozen berries and Pro Bar crumblies

And although these World Market stackable bugs are my favorite, for their tapered bottoms that fit perfectly into your car cup holder when you need to eat breakfast on the go every day sometimes…

and they color coordinate so well!

…the $7.00 travel bug for breakfast and school lunch was one of my best investments.

caribbean kaleidoscope stew with simply bar chili protein chips (more on those at a later date)

I know you might be wondering if I only eat oatmeal, cereal, and other breakfast foods.*

*Aside from the above photo which I clearly took on purpose to add some diversity to this post.

although, to be fair, these proats with mango + strawberries were eaten in the afternoon

Obviously not, y’all.

I just have a separate special bowl for dinner.

and I really never eat from anything else.

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table October 24, 2012 at 12:18 am

I too am a bowl junkie. And a firm believer that anything counts as a bowl. Jars, squash, empty yogurt containers… wasting would be such a shame! :)

I want to try those chips!!! Are they delish?

Debbie (Accidently Delish) October 24, 2012 at 12:25 am

i love bowls so much more too! i think that’s why i love eating out of jars and empty containers. i like to scrape? i don’t know.

please make me some TVP oats because I have been way too lazy to do it myself. i know i know it’s not even hard to make, but i get in such a routine of my “normal” breakfast i find it hard to switch things up. so come cook for me. kthanks!

Fran@ Broken Cookies Don't Count October 24, 2012 at 7:07 am

I love to use bowls. When I’m not using a bowl, I use a really big dish that I think started life as a pie plate. Got it at a yard sale, I think. It’s great because things aren’t jumping off the side of a regular plate! Works great!

Liz @ iheartvegetables October 24, 2012 at 7:43 am

Hahaha our whole dishwasher is always bowls and spoons and like one plate. I love it.

Also, I need to try the whole TVP-oatmeal thing. I’ve seen it on instagram and I need to get on it.

Michelle @ Eat Move Balance October 24, 2012 at 7:48 am

Funny. I, too, prefer bowls! If I can serve a meal in a bowl, I do it! You’re right about the comfort level of it. :)

Jessie October 24, 2012 at 8:43 am

I love bowls, especially big “mug bowls” for smoothies! They are awesome!!

Brittany @ Delights and Delectables October 24, 2012 at 9:38 am

I much prefer bowls too!! In fact, I have to run the dishwasher all the time b/c we are out of bowls… and spoons!! :)

Allie October 24, 2012 at 11:21 am

Yeah bowls! If it can’t be eaten out of a bowl (or a squash), it ain’t worth eating. And my mugs better be giant, too. Who wants one tiny sip of coffee or tea? It better hold enough to fit at least half a pot, forget how much coffee we’re “supposed” to have ;D Hmm, interested in hearing about those chips. And love the term “bug.” Using that one all the time. As soon as I glue some handles onto all my giant bowls, that is…

Heather @ Better With Veggies October 24, 2012 at 3:17 pm

I go through phases where I eat tons of stuff from bowls, it really just depends in our house I love those big mug/bowls though – I have one from a college friend that I just love. It used to be painted, but it washed off, so now it’s just green. Still love it. :)

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli October 25, 2012 at 12:23 am

Bowls trump plates ANY day! Except, well, I guess I’ve never eaten a pancake out of a bowl…waffles are an entirely different story. Don’t get me started on THAT!

I was JUST eyeing those mugs (again) at World Market this weekend…now that I’ve seen them in “action” I may have to make another trip JUST for them! Lol Oh, and I saw that HP sauce and thought of you. I considered picking up a bottle, but it was like $6 and I wasn’t sure if I would like it. What does it taste like?

So excited to try my Kuri squash this weekend (because my weekend starts TOMORROW)!

Gina @Health, Love, and Chocolate October 25, 2012 at 12:26 am

I love using bowls for a majority of my meals too, totally makes them taste better in my opinion! :-)

Tricia @ Saving room for dessert October 25, 2012 at 11:04 am

Sarah – you can change the way America eats – no more plates! My son (Patrick) loves to put everything in a bowl and make it like a chopped salad. I think you are more a layer girl – be sure to stop by and enter a chance to win a Williams-Sonoma gift card :)

Eating 4 Balance October 25, 2012 at 6:24 pm

No arguing with you there. Everything tastes better in a bowl/mug. It’s a simple fact of life. Never going to change.

Miss Polkadot October 25, 2012 at 7:49 pm

Everything tastes better when eaten from a bowl and immediately feels more homey! And to be fair, I’m going to count those cute ramekins my mum gave me as bowls, too.