Snap, CRUMBLE, Pop! [WIAW]

by Sarah on September 19, 2012 · 19 comments

Maybe I’m just really obsessed with fractions or something, but lately I have developed a rather significant aversion to food in its whole form.I’m much more into the ‘parts.’

creamsicle 'proats' made with vanilla plant fusion + orange juice topped with blueberries, apples, and spiced peach + date protein + fiber bar crumblies

Specifically, I love crumblies.

Not to be confused with chiplets–which deserve their own recognition as delicious toppers for soups and salads of all kinds–

Pop Chip(let)s are especially delicious when covered in a dressing that tastes like onion dip :)

–I’ve written odes to crumblies before. Just the other night I found myself diving into the bottom of a cereal bag for my favorite part: the cereal dust and crumbled remnants that either make your milk taste really delicious in their akin-to-protein-powder dissolveability OR help create the most amazingly coated yogurt globsfor a tastebud-tingling textural treat. :)

crumblies under lychee grapefruit yogurt topped with FROG preserves and (not as exciting) cinnamon sweets cereal...globs came later.

But getting unnaturally excited to create a Love Grown Cocoa Goodness-covered Greek yogurt snowball from the chocolatey dust indicating your single-handed (stomached?) dominance over deliciousness is one thing…

You know you have fallen into crumb-diction when you start to purposefully make your own.

That’s right, Jenn and my fellow crumb-patriots in What I Ate Wednesdayfall fun, I have taken my old definition of crumblies and taken it to a whole new level.

kashi dark mocha almond bar crumblies in chobani vanilla chocolate chunk

I’m no longer content to sit still and wait for the bottom of the cereal box to peek it’s beautiful tanned face up through a shallow sea of crumblies, I’m taking granola [and other bars] and crumbling THEM up as well.

creamsicle proats (take two) with my homemade FROG jam, cap'n crunch treasures, and the rest of the afore-displayed kashi dark mocha bar

Sure, I love (grown ;) ) granola.

And sure, it would be easier to go straight for that.

running-spired carbfest of scat! morning rhythm granola and spiced peach + date bar crumblies

But I revel in breaking up the bars formed from the coagulation of granola-gredients when combined with naturally sweet syrup or nut butter deliciousness.

strawberries, PB2, and blueberry almond scat! bar crumblies on oats (what else?)

Yet lately, it is not only bars that cannot escape my prone-to-crumble fingers.

Nothing is safe.

My Edamame + Quinoa Faux-quettes with Apple, Basil, and Mint were yummy whole. But by the time they made it into my lunchbox? CRUMBLIES!

My definition of crumblies has been redefined to include cookies and sweet crisps.

soyummi tapioca pudding with black grapes and 34 degrees graham crisps

Veggie burgers? Better to become veggie CRUMBLIES!

these don lee farms veggie patties from costco are the best thing ever. except crumblies of course.

I couldn’t even leave dear Lindsay‘s Apple Parfait Healthy Bites alone…CRUMBLY Bites, anyone?

pie-spiced 'proats' w. the most delicious red bartlett pear and apple parfait healthy bite crumblies

Maybe it’s simply because I treasure texture.

Maybe it’s because I eat like a small child and I like to play with my food.

But even my applesauce needed crumblies added.

wacky apple golden applesauce with squirrel scat! bar (cranberry, peanut, sesame seed) crumblies

Now if only I could figure out how to crumble all the Nutty Butter I’ve been eating testing….

caramel apple nutty butter....it's coming...

Debbie (Accidently Delish) September 19, 2012 at 12:25 am

omg food twin get out of my foodie head.

i LOVE the bottom of cereal bags, the crushed powder, i love how it absorbs the milk into mush.

and i love crumbles as well, but i must admit i am an avid dipper and love dipping everything. seriously i make a sandwich only to deconstruct it and dip it.

#weirdfoodhabits

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table September 19, 2012 at 1:00 am

Since I am a kind soul, I’ll offer to take any excess nutty butter off your hands. I’m practically a saint, right?

Crumbles are the best. So are the flakies left over from eggs, oats, and PB & Jeggs.

lindsay September 19, 2012 at 6:50 am

i’ll take excess nutty butter as well! haha. I live for crumbles. Yes, any and all. You know we think like here. Spreading the taste bud love, yes?

i think i need your proats next.

Tricia @ Saving room for dessert September 19, 2012 at 7:21 am

Love this post! So creative and I always think of you when I get to the bottom of the bag and there are chiplets waiting to be mixed with something smooth. Also love the new nutty butter flavor – another home run I’m sure!

Fran@ Broken Cookies Don't Count September 19, 2012 at 8:21 am

“Crum-patriots!!” I love it! There used to be a commercial for fast food chicken, can’t remember which, that said “Parts is Parts.” I like the “parts” you’ve come up with a whole lot better! ;-)

Ria D. September 19, 2012 at 8:53 am

Miss Smart, once again you leave me in stitches with your word combos. “crumb-patriots” haha love it! After reading your blog, I have a whole new appreciation for the tiny, blue corn tortilla chip-lets at the bottom of the bag.

Looking forward to the release of caramel apple nutty butter!

Laurie @ Love, Laugh, Laurie September 19, 2012 at 9:52 am

I love crumbled food, so I’m right there with you. And caramel apple nut butter? That sounds dangerous :)

sarah @ sarah learns September 19, 2012 at 9:56 am

caramel apple nutty butter. oooohhhhh, it sounds so good!

Danielle @ Itsaharleyyylife September 19, 2012 at 11:36 am

i love crumblies too! yum!

Ashley @ Freckles & Spice September 19, 2012 at 4:27 pm

Girl I do this same thing! Bryan is constantly telling me to stop “playing with my food and just eat it” Nope veggie burgers/bars/field roast sausages/ cereal that is too large/ crackers/ cookies/ nuts / protein bars- everything is subject to crumbling.

I crumbled up a blueberry bliss luna bar into some yogurt on a plane once – the woman next to me looked at me like I was alien. Perhaps, but atleast I know there is a whole group of us alien-crumbling-bloggers :)

I’ve currently been crumbling the kashi pumpkin flax granola bars on things.

Mix some of your nut butter with a little oats and crumble away!

Maria September 19, 2012 at 5:50 pm

I have officially adopted chiplets in my vocabulary. People think I’m crazy. I take it as a compliment.

When are we going to hang out again? So jealous of Molly for getting to visit you, but I get to her this weekend! :P

Cari September 19, 2012 at 9:44 pm

crumbles are THE BEST :)

Brittany @ Delights and Delectables September 20, 2012 at 9:01 pm

I love crumbles too!! I’ll share my crumbles for Nutty Butter! ;) Miss you girl!! We need to catch up and SOON!

sara September 21, 2012 at 5:29 am

haha you just crack me up!! We are kindred spirits though..must be in the name :) I am a sucker for the chiplets, cereal and cookie crumblies, butts of bread, burnt edges..you name it. It’s quite handy because I kind of function like a garbage disposal for those bits no one else wants ha! Man, I need to try me some nutty butter soooon

Gina @Health, Love, and Chocolate September 21, 2012 at 2:41 pm

Haha I am this way as well!

Sarah September 22, 2012 at 11:40 am

The crumbles at the bottom are ALWAYS the best part! I love using them as an oatmeal topper or yogurt, as you show both here :) Caramel apple nutty butter sounds delicious x10000!

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli September 24, 2012 at 6:05 am

THIS: “…tastebud-tingling textural treat.”
THIS: “…formed from the coagulation of granola-gredients”
And most of all THIS: “…my fellow crumb-patriots” is one of the MANY reasons I love you so much! I will never understand how you do it, all I know is that every time I read one of your posts, I yearn to learn (haha, rhyme) the ways of Sarahnglish! Hmm, how was that? Too much? Eh, I’m going with it! ;)

Oh the wonderful world of crumblies and chiplets, fractions and parts! Eating things in they’re whole form just takes the fun out of it! And EVERYBODY must understand the absolute amazingness of granola dust covered yogurt balls! I mean, come on!

Now what you NEED to do is get some crumblies IN some Nutty Butter!! Then life would make sense…heck, they’d probably discover the cure for cancer after such a creation!

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning September 28, 2012 at 2:04 pm

I am definitely a fan of crumblies, chip-lets and all things broken down.
I TOTALLY GET IT. :)