Oatshake Obsession

by Sarah on September 5, 2012 · 29 comments

In another case of hypocritical me, I used to totally be a smoothie hater.

I mean…why drink when you can eat?

The smoothie cup attachment for my immersion blender only received attention when I needed to make avocado dressing. Ice? Fruit? Never.But then–due to my new, obviously very pressing need to try every new protein powder I can find–the lovely Kaitlin obliged in sending me three varieties of Shakeology to try.And I figured that now was as good a time as any to make a smoothie. [But at least I could be contrary and make it in a bowl.* With food on top of it.]

*Not that contrary considering smoothie-in-a-bowl is (was?) a ‘thing’ for the healthy living blogger set. Like embroidered chinos in Nantucket.

vegan tropical strawberry shakeology made w. extra frozen berries and topped with love grown cocoa goodness and peanut butter cheerios

And yeah. It was pretty darn good.

But it should come with no surprise that I looked upon my recent epic oatmeal creations…

oats with PB2, chia seeds, white peaches, and vanilla blueberry luna bar fiber crumblies

–occasionally served in glass, cup-like containers*–

*also known as (apple butter) jars

i don't remember what was in here, but i know it involved the last of the McCutcheon's apple butter, strawberries, peanut butter...and apparently some granola

–and determined that shakes and oats should just go ahead and get it on.

Hello, Oatshake, you beautiful breakfast love child.

strawberry vanilla Plant Fusion oatshake with. bananas, peached, and homemade (Xagave-sweetened) kiwi berry jam

All you’ve got to do is blend up a portion your favorite protein powder with a little-less-than-called-for almond (or other) milk and water, with the addition of frozen fruit or applesauce to help thicken it up a bit.

[You can, of course, add more liquid, but as I discovered with watermelon it will become an oatzpacho instead. :) ]

too much liquid = oatzpacho quicksand (photos of toppings must be taken prior to supply drop)

While you are working on that and daydreaming which fruit and granola (or granola bar crumblies) you are going to put on top today–

apple cinnamon oatshake w. bananas + Scat Bar Scatterings (including dried cherries and chocolate covered espresso beans)

–cook your oatmeal! (I use a mix of oats and oat bran, occasionally with ginger or cinnamon.)

Both of my oat products come from kroger...because the k-roger makes a great generic product (and generally sells chobani for $1)

Then, mix ‘em together! [If you mix while the oats are still hot, it will blend more smoothly. I tend to let them cool a bit, which gives more texture. I also make it the night before and let it get even thicker in the fridge.]

I'm weird. (For many reasons.) I like some oatmeal globs and not perfectly smooth texture. You do what you want. :)

[Of course, if you actually BLEND in the oatmeal, and don't stir it, you run the risk of blueberry oat borscht once again...]

frozen blueberry vanilla deliciousness with bananas and weetabix crumblies

Once you have your oatshake base…the fun REALLY begins! *

tropical strawberry Shakeology oatshake with white peach and luna bar strawberry peanut butter crumblies

*Toppings are the best part of sundaes…AND oatshakes.

chocolate Plant Fusion oatshake w. cherries and vanilla blueberry luna fiber bar crumblies

I love these oatshakes so much, it may or may not have become lunch on one (or more) occasion(s). I foresee a potential ‘ate overnight oats every day for four months until one morning I could do it no more’ food fixation in my future.

oatshakes: they're not just for breakfast anymore.

It’s Wednesday, isn’t it? So I may as well join the What I Ate Wednesday party over at Jenn‘s (Peas & Crayons) place.* Obviously, I (and my fruit and granola crumblies) have been ‘falling’ into oatshakes.

*Of course, now that I’ve let go of the blog as an obligation, I didn’t feel the need to wake up just past midnight and try to get my WIAW link ‘in’ before everyone else to potentially reach the most number of eyes throughout the day. [Note to everyone: It doesn't really increase number of pageviews to do that.]

And this morning’s might have started out to be the best one yet. :)

————–

P.S. Thanks so much for your positive support about my blog reduction. I feel lighter already, and I hope you’ll still stop by The Smart Kitchen from time to time to see if I’m around for a chat. :)

Debbie (Accidently Delish) September 5, 2012 at 1:09 pm

i love that you said you like “oatmeal globs” i am so weird like that too, i think that’s why i love cold oatmeal so much is the texture. lumpy and wonderful. i love oatmeal smoothies and i don’t over blend mine because it gives it the smooth yet texture feel. yea i’m weird.

loving your combos they all look so tasty!

Sarah September 7, 2012 at 6:39 am

Weird food twins! :)

sarah @ sarah learns September 5, 2012 at 1:12 pm

i just brought smoothies back into my life after i burned out on them majorly a couple months ago! mmm, so so good. i’ve never tried shakeology before though – i’m loving sunwarrior right now – it’s vegan! have you tried it?

Sarah September 7, 2012 at 6:38 am

I don’t think I have tried Sunwarrior, but I hear it is the best. Once I make my way through my PlantFusion (which I love) perhaps I’ll move on to that…

Melissa @ Treats With a Twist September 5, 2012 at 1:37 pm

Yes!! I love doing this! AND yes, the best part is the topping!
This reminds me of my overnight oats obsession. I would make a bowl at night, throw it in the fridge for the overnight (duh), then the second I ate it in the morning, I’d quickly rinse the bowl (I don’t know why I had a need to reuse the bowl…maybe because I ate it so quickly I felt like it didn’t count as a dirty dish?), mix up a different flavor, put it in the fridge and have that one for an after-dinner treat! The cycle continued…yes I would switch out the bowl as often as possible :)

Sarah September 7, 2012 at 6:37 am

Totally been there. In fact, my oatmeal pan and favorite white bowl never make it back into the cabinet. They are either in the drying rack or waiting for me, empty, on the stove.

Ashley @ Freckles & Spice September 5, 2012 at 1:55 pm

I loooove smoothies in a bowl so much. I swear at one point that’s all I wanted for everymeal. Breakfast and dessert for sure.
I need to try the shakeology smoothies. I usually use vega one, sunwarrior, and hemp protein.
I relly like crumbling muffins over mine and also a weetabix biscuit soak up the smoothie nicely too.

Michelle {lively kitchen} September 5, 2012 at 2:54 pm

I’m a loyal smoothie drinker and have been since long before I knew anything about healthy living blogs. I love oatmeal, but for some reason oatmeal in smoothies doesn’t sit too well in the tummy.

I have found great freedom in sitting out some of the WIAWs. Enjoy your blog reduction – you are always on my reader and I’ll look forward to seeing new posts pop up, no matter how infrequently.

Fran@ Broken Cookies Don't Count September 5, 2012 at 3:14 pm

The oatshakes look really tasty! Yes, Yes…I’ll still be keeping my eye on you!!

Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile September 5, 2012 at 3:30 pm

I’d rather chew than drink! I do like smoothies when I’m craving one, though. I go through phases :D

Sarah September 5, 2012 at 5:01 pm

I’ve been meaning to get more into these ‘oatshakes’. I love oatmeal and smoothies, but haven’t tried them together. I guess it’s time to make the leap! Your photography skills do make them more appealing, though :)

Sarah September 7, 2012 at 6:34 am

Thanks. It’s all in the (photo) editing. ;)

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table September 5, 2012 at 6:04 pm

waiiiit… you do this is COOOKED oats? this I must try.

right now i do them raw, but i blend alf the ots and leave the other half raw for a doughy texture. cannot WAIT to play with the cooked variety. :)

Sarah September 7, 2012 at 6:34 am

Get in the kitchen! You’ll probably come up with something crazy delicious. [Actually, scratch the probably. You WILL. Maybe you already have and I just haven't checked yet....]

Brittany @ Delights and Delectables September 5, 2012 at 9:13 pm

I have never tried shakeology! I need to try the vegan ones!! These oat shakes look really good!!!

Julie September 5, 2012 at 9:29 pm

I love the chocolate and vegan variety but that green one is GROSS!

Sarah September 7, 2012 at 6:33 am

How could chocolate be bad? I am a bit nervous about the green one to be honest…

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More September 5, 2012 at 11:06 pm

HA! this was kind of amazing! And I should really try shakeology – I’m always looking for new and yummy protein powder!

Sarah September 7, 2012 at 6:32 am

I really enjoyed the strawberry! It was my first ‘fruity’ protein powder [aside from fitmixer aminos of course ;) ]. I can’t wait to try the others.

Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers September 6, 2012 at 9:08 am

I’ll go for a homemade smoothie every now and again, and it’s usually quite tasty. However, I usually prefer eating to drinking my meals. It’s just a thing, I guess.

Brittany (Healthy Slice of Life) September 6, 2012 at 2:47 pm

I got to try the chocolate shakeology. I didn’t add enough water and it turned out more like pudding than a shake. And… it was AMAZING!! Seriously delicious. If it wasn’t so expensive I would have bought some more!

Sarah September 7, 2012 at 6:30 am

I can’t wait to try the chocolate. I’m thicking I’ll have to make a Shakeology brownie, too. Now, if only I could come up with a catchy name for that…

Kristen @ notsodomesticated September 6, 2012 at 6:13 pm

Just wanted to say that I feel ya on the blog thing. I just did a reduction, and I feel much better having done so! :) I have loved blogging the past year +, and I want to continue to love it … but that just won’t happen if I keep feeling like I HAVE to blog 3 times a week!

Sarah September 7, 2012 at 6:25 am

I loved your post about reducing blogging time and focusing on other priorities. Yours was one of the posts that actually helped me know it was ‘OK’ to do it myself. :)

jessie September 6, 2012 at 7:21 pm

LOVE LOVE LOVE this post.. and all your combos. I’ll eat 2 smoothies a day, and have no shame whatsoever :)

Tianna September 6, 2012 at 9:22 pm

love the oatshakes! they’re like horchata except oats instead of rice!

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli September 10, 2012 at 2:09 am

Oh this post made me SO HAPPY! I love the “oatshake”…it’s not just simply throwing some rolled oats INTO a shake, but rather a graceful fusion of two coveted (and highly contrasted) breakfast items….you my friend, are a genius! But…I’ve already told you that on more than one occasion! Just don’t let it go to your head you hot legged mama! ;)

And it’s good to see the apple butter and Luna bars I sent you are getting a piece of that pie…er, ‘shake…as well! Love ya girl!