Ginger Miso Peanut Dressing

by Sarah on September 11, 2012 · 11 comments

Without it, my Edamame and Quinoa ‘Faux’-quettes looked a little naked.Not only did it work as a great stir fry sauce for my newly acquired (and adored) lotus root––with a little extra vinegar, it quick-pickled that lotus root rather fabulously as well.And when it found its way into my lunchbox…

…I found myself desperately hoping my coworkers didn’t walk into my classroom as I tipped the tup-faux-ware into my mouth.

Like most of my culinary creations, this Ginger Miso Peanut Dressing was inspired by a product I found beckoning on the store shelves, but whose intrigue was not enough to overcome my lack of desire to shell out money for something I figured I could probably make at home.

So I did. Sort of.*

[With a miso unable to actually stick to a plan (or recipe...or list of ingredients...)]

*Do you feel as weird as I do everytime I end a sentence with a preposition. Not that that was a sentence. So maybe since I broke one rule, the other doesn’t matter?Lucky for me, frugality lends itself to food hoarding, and I had stumbled upon a long lost (and unopened) pound of Trader Joe’s peanut flour when I moved in June. So I had a base from which to carry out the kitchen imitational.*

*Like an invitational, except we only accept fake-outs.

Peanut flour + ginger + garlic + rice vinegar + Bragg’s liquid aminos + miso + as much water as you need to thin it to your desired consistency

You could substitute peanut butter or tahini–now there’s an idea!–but you’ll have to alter the amount of water or other liquid you add to thin it out. I’m sure the result will remain the same:When you get to the bottom of the jar, you’ll refill it with water and drink it just to make sure you’ve gotten every last bit out of it.*

*Not that people do that or anything.

Ginger Miso Peanut Dressing

[Makes about 3/4 cup]

• 3 Tbsp. peanut flour
  • 2 tsp. mellow white miso
  • 2 tsp. ginger puree (or super finely minced ginger)
  • 1 Tbsp. rice vinegar
  • 2 Tbsp. Bragg’s liquid aminos, soy sauce, or tamari
  • water, as needed

Combine all ingredients in a blender (or the cup attachment for immersion blender).

Blend well, adding water to reach desired consistency.

Melissa @ Treats With a Twist September 11, 2012 at 10:41 pm

Looks wonderful Sarah! These are my favorite go-to flavors for stir fry and dressing too! Cheers to yummy meals :)

Maria September 11, 2012 at 11:17 pm

I am so wary of dressings and condiments in general (I know, we are so different in this aspect!), but lately, I’ve been all over ginger dressings and I usually add peanuts to the salad too. Such an awesome combination!

And miso soup – the only thing I will at sushi places. Oh and edamame of course.

Tricia @ Saving room for dessert September 12, 2012 at 10:33 am

The dressing sounds wonderful – but that lotus root is so interesting! I’ve never seen it before. Another miracle of nature :)

Sarah September 13, 2012 at 8:13 pm

I stumbled upon it at the new Asian market and decided to buy some after one of my twitter followers suggested it. It’s slightly sweet and starchy like a potato. Absolutely YUM. [I also was able to finally find kohlrabi in Virginia. Asian markets are the best!]

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table September 12, 2012 at 1:02 pm

I am making this right now to go on a salmon burger. You rock.

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table September 12, 2012 at 1:13 pm

OMG -so good. I added 2 tsp nooch and 1/4 tsp chili powder. I left out the aminos and halved the miso (you know my low sodium thing). I’m licking my blender.

Sarah September 13, 2012 at 8:12 pm

I LOVE your changes. To be honest I almost added nutritional yeast, but then I wasn’t sure if it would veer too close to my imitation of Whole Foods Tahini Dressing. Not that that would be a bad thing.

Allie September 12, 2012 at 2:49 pm

I’ll totally drink the bottom of a good dressing ;D Sounds absolutely delicious–I am so in love with everything peanut-flour related!

Brittany @ Delights and Delectables September 12, 2012 at 4:15 pm

You are a genious! I can never get enough ginger!!

Sonia the Mexigarian September 14, 2012 at 3:18 pm

if it tastes like the dressing the put on salads at Japanese hibachi’s then I am all over it. i love that dressing…. though i think it invloves mayo :( is the peanut flour essential for this, or can i sub another flour?

Tt in nyc September 17, 2012 at 12:17 am

This dressing looks so great! My peanut flour is long gone tho…. I adore miso and only buy it at asian markets since its so much cheaper- this sounds really bizarre but you will love it, slice cucumbers and smear with a bit of miso! I love the dark barley miso or aged ones, but those are the strongest flavored too.