FROG Jam

by Sarah on September 17, 2012 · 29 comments

When Heather and I decided to do a little ‘Weird Food Twin’ exchange, there was only one special request that I had to make:Considering my slight obsession with frogs–not, as I have to remind the small children I teach, real frogs, but the cute, bright green, googly-eyed kind–it should come as no surprise that a preserve with the name of FROG would catch my eye.

Ribbit. Ribbit.

And then, after seeing both Heather and Debbie rave about them, I was WAY too eager to try them myself.

topping off my blended-with-raspberries greenberry shakeology oatshake...

Of course. I was immediately obsessed…perhaps because it puts together some of my favorite flavors–into a jam that is slightly sweet, with just a tidbit of (citrusy) tartness, and a hint of underlying ginger spice.*

*I’ll tell you what I want…what I really, really want: MORE FROG.

as an after school snack with homemade coconut-almond spread on P28 bread...

Since I’m not sure it would be right and just to demand Heather mail me a regularly scheduled FROG shipment, I knew I would have to figure out a way to make my own version at home.

Hop to it, Miss Smart!

Lucky for me, my other favorite Heather had declared that F is for Figs in her Meatless Mondays A-Z Challenge, providing a perfect excuse* for a little kitchen experiment.

I also had everything I needed already:F(igs)R(aspberries)O(ranges)

In juice form. Whatever. I needed to use it up. (Waste not!)

G(inger)

OK, so I didn’t use any fresh ingredients…but even when figs and raspberries ARE in season, they are never especially budget-friendly.I figured this was a good, year-round, cost-efficient compromise.*

*The ginger puree was just because I’m lazy.Combining all ingredients in a saucepan and allowing to simmer until thickened up (and adding a little extra ground ginger, if you like a little extra kick) is really all it takes.I added some Xagave for a little sweetness–the original has sugar added–but it still is a little less sweet, with more citrus tang, than the original.

It still tastes pretty flippin’ good in a cranberry-fig Greek yogurt bowl paired with a test batch of Maple Cranberry Shortbread Nutty Butter.*

*My lactose-averse stomach loves the FROG Jam, but not this brand of yogurt.Or try it paired with a peanut flour ‘glop,’ Three Sisters Cinnamon Sweets, and Love Grown Cocoa Goodness Granola on oatmeal.

However you use it, this imitation is pretty FROG-in’ fig-tastic. :) FROG Jam

(Makes 2 cups)

• 1 1/3 frozen raspberries
  • 2 cups orange juice
  • 4 large dried Turkish figs
  • 1 Tbsp. ginger puree (or finely minced ginger)
  • 1 Tbsp. agave nectar (or more, to taste)
  • 1/2 tsp. ground ginger [optional]
  1. Finely chop dried figs. [The finer the chop, the less 'chunky' the jam will be.]
  2. Combine figs, raspberries, orange juice, and ginger in a medium saucepan.
  3. Bring to a simmer over medium-low heat.
  4. Cook, stirring regularly, until thickened.
  5. Stir in agave nectar.
  6. Allow to cool before storing in the fridge!

Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean September 17, 2012 at 6:34 am

yep yep yep, this sounds right up my alley!

lindsay September 17, 2012 at 6:51 am

i feel like i am missing out on this frog jam. Do they sell in TX? please say yes!

Sarah September 18, 2012 at 4:43 pm

I have no idea! I had only ever seen it on Heather and Debbie’s blogs, and I know Heather gets it from her farmers’ market in Tennessee…

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List September 17, 2012 at 6:55 am

hmmm…i neeeeeeed some of this!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table September 17, 2012 at 8:39 am

I loooove FROG jam. In fact, I’d say it’s the jam. ;)

So are you going to start a #nuttybutter and JAM movement? Froggy butter?

Debbie (accidently delish) September 17, 2012 at 11:03 am

I like the way you think.

Sarah September 18, 2012 at 4:44 pm

Froggy Butter. Um. Amazing.

Now I need to hunt down dried oranges and raspberries…the other stuff I already have. :)

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli September 24, 2012 at 6:06 am

I’ve seen dried oranges at my TJ Maxx…just sayin ;)

Tianna September 17, 2012 at 9:00 am

ugh, i have ginger root in my fridge and i’m too lazy to thaw it to use it! this jam looks delicious – love the flavor combos … cranberries might be good to replace the raspberries and up the tart factor!

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli September 17, 2012 at 4:10 pm

Oh wow! That’s a GREAT idea! And I have some cranberries in my freezer right now! :D

Laurie @ Love, Laugh, Laurie September 17, 2012 at 9:52 am

I’ve never made my own jam, but this flavor combo sounds amazing! I’ll definitely have to try it out!

Debbie (accidently delish) September 17, 2012 at 11:03 am

You know how happy this makes me.

#ilovemyfoodtwins

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli September 17, 2012 at 4:09 pm

And we LOVE YOU!! :D

Allie September 17, 2012 at 12:22 pm

Jam with a ginger kick? I’m in. Plus I have a slight frog obsession, too–but with the real ones ;) And I may or may not have had a frog-themed bathroom for the larger portion of my life. Now it’s owl-themed. See how adult I am?

Sarah September 18, 2012 at 4:42 pm

We have duck shower curtain rings. Just saying.

Tiff (@LoveSweatBeers) September 17, 2012 at 12:47 pm

Sounds so gross yet so delicious at the same time. ;) I may have to whip some of that up soon.

Sonia the Mexigarian September 17, 2012 at 1:54 pm

i got some fresh black mission figs that i need to use. this would be perfect. LOVE figs :D never had the Froggy jam before. is it only found regionally in the east coast?

Sarah September 18, 2012 at 4:42 pm

Heather sent it to me from Tennessee, and I think she finds it at her farmers’ market. I haven’t seen it in Virginia, so I have no idea where you can get it (except for bribing Heather with homemade Nutty Butter…)

robyn May 27, 2013 at 4:18 pm

we have this in Raleigh, NC.

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli September 17, 2012 at 4:09 pm

“This imitation is pretty FROG-in’ fig-tastic” <- Love it and love YOU!

I was actually hoping you used dried figs in this since I didn't think the flavor of fresh ones would be able to power through the strong flavor of the ginger! But I LOVE that you used fresh ginger! Ground is just not the same! Unless…I started buying mine from the bulk section at Whole Foods and I SWEAR it is like a MILLION times better than any jarred ground ginger I've bought! And you can actually see little dried strings of ginger in it! So good!

I'm so happy to see you're enjoying all your goodies…I've still got to make use of that apple butter bbq sauce! And just fyi, I would bat an eye if you demanded FROG on a regular basis! ;)

Liz @ IHeartVegetables September 17, 2012 at 5:00 pm

Oh yum!!! That sounds really good! (At first, the Frog jam thing sounded kind of weird, not gonna lie.)

Although I don’t really USE Jam that much. I don’t know what to put it on. I prefer my PB to remain untouched, hahaha

Sarah September 18, 2012 at 4:41 pm

To be honest, me too! I tend to open jams and preserves thinking I’m going to get crazy and it lingers in my fridge forever…but I am OBSESSED with this one. :)

Heather @ Better With Veggies September 17, 2012 at 6:15 pm

I haven’t had FROG jam in ages – I love that you created a recipe! And figs are on sale – time to make some homemade jam!! :)

Meg September 17, 2012 at 9:32 pm

OOOOO I LOVE THIS!!!!!!! I need to try it!

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More September 17, 2012 at 11:26 pm

Well I’m intrigued….

Brittany @ Delights and Delectables September 18, 2012 at 7:58 pm

1… I need some of this!! 2… can you come make it with me? 3… I have never had dried figs!