Apple Lemon Ginger Pesto

by Sarah on September 24, 2012 · 12 comments

Maybe it’s because I’m a redhead that I love ginger so much.

But I’ll be darned if I don’t want to put it in everything.

Considering the plethora of ginger-infused recipes I’ve created in my time* I was ecstatic to see that Heather had chosen G is for Ginger as part of her Meatless Mondays A-Z challenge.

*My time as what is still to be determined: food blogger? food eater? kitchen catastrophe?Of course, then I found myself with a plethora of basil I had acquired for free emitting its fragrance throughout our kitchen, and I needed something to do with it.My Edamame + Quinoa ‘Faux’-quettes used just a few leaves, so I took the rest and did what everyone does with a large amount of beautiful basil on their hands:I stuck it in my food processor with the intention of making pesto and then realized that what looked like a whole lot of basil was really not very much at all.*

*I can relate this feeling to that which comes after cooking spinach or other leafy greens. But before I pushed ‘on’ I did something that only I always do, and added ginger.And because one of my favorite flavor combinations is apple, lemon, and ginger–first came the lemon juice…

…and then the apple (sauce). It was messy.But it was good.

And nutritional yeast and liquid aminos gave it the umami needed to make it even better.So, despite having been extremely excited about this week of ging-spired recipes, I ended up just accidentally creating a recipe–as is often the way with me.

But it turned out so ging-eriffic and tasted great on top of smoked paprika-roasted cauliflower steaks sprinkled with leftover edamame and chopped bell pepper––and also on a portabella ‘pizza,’ somewhat similarly attired in leftovers––that I figured you’ll forgive me for lack of foresight and planning.*

*Esecially since it allowed me to write this post two days early. Which allows me to feel like a high-achieving planner, even though I am a horrific procrastinator.^

^I work better under pressure.**

**That’s what all procrastinators say. :)

Apple Lemon Ginger Pesto

(Makes 1 Cup)

• 2 1/2 cups basil leaves
  • 1/3 cup applesauce
  • 1 1/2 Tbsp. minced ginger
  • 1 tsp. minced garlic
  • 1/2 tsp. liquid aminos or soy sauce
  • 3 Tbsp. lemon juice
  • 2 Tbsp. nutritional yeast

Combine all ingredients in a blender or food processor.

Process until smooth.

Fran@ Broken Cookies Don't Count September 24, 2012 at 7:10 am

I love the taste of ginger but rarely buy it. I guess I need to correct it. The sight of your cauliflower makes me want to go roast veggies. Need to go buy them first !! Have a great week, Sarah!

Liz @ iheartvegetables September 24, 2012 at 7:53 am

YUM! I just recently got addicted to ginger, in the last year or so. I’ve never used fresh ginger though!!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table September 24, 2012 at 8:37 am

You are officially too cool for me. How do you think of this stuff?! I’m totally making this. I bet it would be incredible on salmon. Mmm…

Tiff September 24, 2012 at 10:37 am

Accidental recipes are the best. Except when they’re the worst… but usually they’re the best. ;)

Heather @ Better With Veggies September 24, 2012 at 1:33 pm

I love this combination AND I love that we were both procrastinators turned awesome planners this week, must have been something in the air. :)

Kristina September 24, 2012 at 3:48 pm

that IS what all procrastinators say… ;) (got me through college…)

this sounds amazing – I love the apple – lemon – ginger combination too… and adding basil?? this MUST be made… soon!

Brittany @ Delights and Delectables September 24, 2012 at 5:38 pm

I love how your brain works!! I love ginger… LOVE IT!

Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean September 24, 2012 at 7:00 pm

this.sounds.fabulous!

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli September 25, 2012 at 2:50 am

Dude! I totally had to Google umami! Haha! But besides feeling like a complete goober when it comes to my vocabulary (or lack thereof), I am DEFINITELY intrigued by this! Applesauce?…nooch?…ginger? Who would have thought to combine all of those AND put them in pesto?! You’re culinary genius ceases to amaze me, m’dear!

Oh, and I just HAVE to share something with you….

I was just reading Laura’s MMAZ and she had a link back to one of her old posts about protein powder last year (http://www.sprint2thetable.com/2011/05/what-i-ate-wednesday-ii/). Check out the comment section where you said, and yes, I DO quote, “I actually NEVER use protein powder…” Haha! I got a kick out of that and thought you would too! Funny how much things can change in a year, huh? ;)

Ozlem September 25, 2012 at 9:18 am

Hey there Miss Smart

I have been making and eating your kale carrot and beet salad with miso applesauce garlic dressing. It is yummy!! I can not believe it has no oil in it. Love it!! Thank you.

BTW can you please try an eggplant bacon recipe and put it here sometime??

Elisabeth @ CHAARG October 2, 2012 at 8:50 am

HOLY YUM. saving this recipe and trying it ASAP! Thanks for sharing :)