Summer AWESOME Series

by Sarah on August 3, 2012 · 15 comments

Forget a summer concert series. ‘Round The Smart Kitchen, Friday means another show in the summer awesome series.I’m not going to beat around the idiomatic bush here, because Rach and I have the watermelon (that she spontaneously bought 10 minutes ago) to eat and The Wedding Date (that she spontaneously got from Red Box 15 minutes ago) to watch, so let’s get right to it, shall we?

Things That Are Awesome, Vol. VIII [I think.]

——————-

1. When you’ve had your food processor for so long, and you’ve use it so much, that its name can hardly be read.[It's similar to the end of the school year when your name tag is so beat up and worn that it's falling off.]

This bad boy has made a LOT of hummus and Nutty Butter...

———————————

2. Trading Nutty Butter for kombucha SCOBY: a Chai Nut (Tea) Butter barter for a taco brain.[Yes, I buried the brain in the back of the fridge in a rather opaque container so as not to freak Rach out too much...or risk her throwing it away thinking it was something deadly or poisonous.]

—————————-

3. Having an atypical amount of empty space in the fridge.

3.5 Using to chill your watermelon before cutting it.[Of course, this also makes it really hard not to eat half a watermelon in the 10-15 minutes* you are cutting it.]

*My record stands at one watermelon in 18 hours. I could do better.  If there were a Watermelon Eating Olympics, I would oh so happily train for it.

—————————

4. Trader Joe’s Reduced Carb Whole Wheat Tortillas. I am not on a low carb diet by any means, but these things are delicious (and oh so soft and chewy).The reason I have no photograph of them being put to Miss Smartsy-creative use is that I pretty much tend to just grab one (or two…or three) straight from the bag in the fridge and rip ‘em apart and consume.

—————————

5. Yogi Sweet Thai Delight Tea.

I stumbled upon this at Cranberry’s Grocery & Eatery while in Staunton last weekend, and couldn’t resist buying it. Flavored with coconut and butterscotch? Yes, please. I steeped a tea bag in a small amount of water for a super long time, then added in cold water and stuck it in the fridge to chill even more. I just drank it. My tastebuds were blown.[They recommended adding coconut milk, but I figured chilling the tea in a former coconut oil jar counted. Maybe?]

———————————

6. Sherlock, the BBC Miniseries starring Benedict [Timothy Carlton] Cumberbatch.

6.5. Benedict [Timothy Carlton] Cumberbatch.

————————–

7. Whole Foods Zesty Tahini DressingI was able to get a jar for free with a coupon from the Richmond Vegetarian Festival. It, along with extra nutritional yeast, make for the greatest tasting bowl of goodness I have ever consumed.*

*Raise your hand if you say this every time you try something new.

I may or may not have eaten some variation of this salad about 12 times.

This week.

——————————–

8. Chips & Salsa “Cereal”

What better use for chiplets, really?

An idea I was first introduced to by Mollee at the Wholesome Goodness Virginia Bloggers “Mocktail” Party, I was reminded of the concept by some members of my fan club attendees of my latest Whole Foods cooking class.Note to self everyone: Mrs. Renfro’s Pomegranate Salsa is a perfect pair for Ginger Mango Guacamole.

——————————

9. When your (locally grown) tomatoes are a little rough around the edges…

…and have secret tattoos.—————————-

10. When you go over to a friend‘s house and she offers up a plethora of homegrown tomatoes for the taking.10.5 The recipe I am planning to test with them this weekend…. ;)

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More August 3, 2012 at 6:15 am

Those are some AWESOME things! ;)
Now, I could definitely go for some of that watermelon – care to share? :)

Liz @ iheartvegetables August 3, 2012 at 7:58 am

Have your seen that tahnii dressing at your Whole foods recently?! I tried to get more at Short Pump yesterday and they didn’t have it!!! I’ve fallen in love with it and my kale doesn’t know what to do :( I must find more!

Brittany August 5, 2012 at 10:17 pm

Liz – I feel the same way! Our Whole Foods hasn’t had it in months and I’m super sad by this. Maybe we should talk to them about it!

If you’re up for making your own, the dressing I use for my Garlicky Kale salad is really similar: http://www.eatingbirdfood.com/2011/02/garlicky-kale/

Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile August 3, 2012 at 10:23 am

Definitely awesome!! I wish I had a trader joe’s near me! :/

Brittany August 3, 2012 at 12:04 pm

I want/neeeeed to make my own kombucha one of these days. Starting that scoby worries me, I worry I will fail. POOP. I eat chip and salsa cereal alll the time, NEVER waste those crumbs at the bottom!! Happy weekend!

Calee (@chimes) August 3, 2012 at 12:32 pm

Okay — tahini dressing? Yum.

What kind of food processor do you have?

And Mark keeps trying to get me into Sherlock, and though I’m interested, I continue to fall asleep …

Living, Learning, Eating August 3, 2012 at 1:17 pm

I have to admit – that scoby looks pretty scary :P

Katie August 3, 2012 at 9:02 pm

Sarah I CANNOT wait to talk to you about Sherlock/Benedict Cumberbatch! I swear he’s my dream man and I have watched both series 3 times. Sooooo goooooooood.

Also… counting the days until Trader Joe’s comes to CVille!

Tianna August 3, 2012 at 9:15 pm

OK, seriously, I just fell in love with you a little more (possible?). I ADORED that Sherlock mini-series and forced J to watch it just so I could see it again. I can’t cut a watermelon without eating half of it. I also sit down with the almost scraped out rinds and take those babies to the white! :) Nothing will be wasted!
Salsa mix-ologist, yest please! Rim that salsa cup in salt and you’ve got yourself a salsa-rita!

Lexi @ You, Me, & A World to See August 3, 2012 at 9:56 pm

I just tried those tortillas too and am decidedly in love. I think we could definitely go head to head in the watermelon olympics ;)

Brittany @ Delights and Delectables August 4, 2012 at 11:31 am

all of these are awesome! I LOVE chips and salsa cereal… do it all the time! My dad makes homemade salsa, and it is glorious!! I wish I could have some of that watermelon. I love it, but I’m allergic. How crappy is that??? ;)

Laurie @ Love, Laugh, Laurie August 5, 2012 at 9:13 am

How awesome would an Olympic watermelon eating competition be? I’ll train with you :)

Mollee August 5, 2012 at 7:10 pm

Thanks for the shout-out, Sarah! It’s good to see we’re not the only ones who eat chips & salsa cereal. Great seeing you yesterday!

Brittany August 5, 2012 at 10:18 pm

Love this post and the Yogi Sweet Thai Delight Tea sounds awesome. I’ll have to be on the lookout for it!

Ashley @ Freckles and Spice August 6, 2012 at 11:31 pm

Ahhhh! SHERLOCK IS AWESOME! 1.5 hr episodes are rough though. B and I couldn’t stop watching…it was like a movie every night. No time for that. We watched the first episode from the new season before he left for AZ for a month – no I’m suffering withdraws.
I love those wraps from TJ’s. I get them everytime I go. Low carbs/cals means more awesome fillings. They are a lunch time staple for me.