Saying “No” Is (Sometimes) AWESOME.

by Sarah on August 17, 2012 · 11 comments

If we are talking about things that are awesome–and, since it is Friday, we are–being asked to be a part of a Newbie Q&A panel at this year’s Healthy Living Summit ranks pretty high on the scale of one to awesome, don’t you think?I’m good at saying ‘no’ to a lot of things (cigarettes, a second drink,  french fries, candy that isn’t labeled with a lowercase Times New Roman ‘m’…), but the chance to speak on a panel at the Healthy Living Summit?

That’s pretty hard to say ’no’ to.

I love blogger meet-ups of all shapes and sizes, and I love talking to anyone who will listen newbie bloggers about my blogging experience. So I was pretty gosh darn excited about the whole thing.

But–for those of y’all who don’t know–I got a long-term substitute job in first grade until October.*

*Which, when you think about it, is also pretty awesome. As much as I love Nutty Butter, it doesn’t pay the bills. (Yet?)

So, in addition to spending the week cutting out laminate, labeling endless folders and nametags, and attending faculty meetings and trainings, I’ve been adjusting to a ‘back to school’ schedule while also watching the Nutty Butter orders accumulate on my ‘August Orders’ spreadsheet.

This is, I realize, an AWESOME problem.

So, rather than drive 15+ hours, leaving after the Thursday evening Open House, and then back–through every major city in the mid-Atlantic–on Sunday (I might have willpower in the face of drugs, fried foods, and sweets…but I am not immune to the irrational) I made the smart decision to save my sanity and say, “No.”*

*After initially saying yes. But it counts, right?I know I’ll be sad not to make new connections and meet bloggers from around the country. I’ll be envious of everyone’s recaps and Instagram photos and twitter proclamations…and perhaps–should Brother Smart fail in his attempts to graciously retrieve my swag for me–the freebies from sponsors.

But I can’t let the fear of missing out prevent me from being focused on what is important right now: my job, my business, and my health.* (It is called a healthy living summit, isn’t it?) I don’t think lack of sleep and resulting stress would be good for anyone…Besides, think of how much Nutty Butter I can make using my new engraved spatulas from Molly in the time I would be spending driving????[Especially since I'll be giving away some Nutty Butter at HLS. Just because I can't be there doesn't mean Nutty Butter can't!]

———————————–

What about y’all? Have you said ‘no’ to anything recently?

Or just share something awesome. :)

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning August 17, 2012 at 7:43 am

Good for you, Sarah! For some people, saying “no” is the hardest thing. I had a really hard time doing so my first few years of teaching and ended up with way too much on my plate, stressed out, and it ultimately made me burn out. I’ve learned to say “no” pretty easily to things over the last few years- and though it may seem selfish in a way, I ultimately have to do what’s best for me.
I’m sure that you would have been an incredible speaker at HLS, but other opportunities will come along- this is only the beginning for you!

Liz @ iheartvegetables August 17, 2012 at 7:47 am

Im bad at saying no, which is why my schedule ends up so crazy I don’t have time to turn around., Not good!!! I need to accept that sometimes you just CAN’T do it all!!! But Sarah, that’s AWESOME that you were asked to be on the panel!

sarah @ sarah learns August 17, 2012 at 8:55 am

awww, sad face that you’ll miss hls, but you’ve got so much going on right now! i definitely think you’re making the right decision for you & your sanity. :)

Maria August 17, 2012 at 12:23 pm

Saying “No” is one of the hardest things for me to do. Can relate to this so well and am proud of you for making the right decision for YOU. Have a good weekend my friend!

Brittany @ Delights and Delectables August 17, 2012 at 4:20 pm

Congrats on the job!! So sorry about HLS. I wish I could have gone too! Maybe we just need a blend reunion to make up for it??

Kristen @ notsodomesticated August 17, 2012 at 4:28 pm

Wow, props to you. I definitely have a hard time saying no, especially to something that I know I’d enjoy. But you really sound like you’re making the best decision for yourself. Good for you!!

Katie @ Nutrition in a Peanut Shell August 17, 2012 at 5:51 pm

Aw, I’m sure those at HLS will be missing out on something else, but it’s a human tendency to stretch one’s self thin and it’s so good to hear you were able to put a kabosh on that! I give you my kudos :)

Tianna August 18, 2012 at 6:44 pm

I’ll share something awesome and a time when I said, “yes” as in “yes, I will marry you!” :)
I think it’s good you said no to the conference and yes to your sanity & health!

lindsay August 18, 2012 at 11:00 pm

yea!! i love that comment.

And i love that you said no Sarah! you are doing what’s best for you. Enjoy your productivity

Brittany August 19, 2012 at 9:28 pm

First of all, AWESOME that you were asked to do this..congratulations to that. I think it was good to say no with all the other stuff going on in your busy life!! You can join the sulkers club for those of us not going.

Heather @ Better With Veggies August 20, 2012 at 2:05 pm

Good for you – saying no is so hard sometimes, but you have to make time for yourself and finding balance. We’re all way to busy, sometimes.