B is for Beet (and Watermelon Salsa)

by Sarah on August 13, 2012 · 13 comments

B is for Birthdays.

And I had a beautiful one.

But I’m going to save that bounty of good eats (including an entire beer pairing dinner and Bring Your Own Topping gelato party) for a big bad post later in the week.*

*At which time I’ll also announce a bound-to-be-excited winner of the Birthday Cake Nutty Butter giveaway.

Instead, today, I am going to focus on earning an A instead of a B in the little game my blogger bud at Better with Veggies, Heather, brainstormed and bedubbed* Meatless Mondays A-Z.

*I don’t think that is actually a word.

B is for Beet.

Because I was so busy being bodaciously birthday-ed this weekend, I am actually posting a recipe I bypassed way back during my June beet bonanza.Raw Beet + Watermelon Salsa might seem a bit basic, but it is definitely not boring.It begins with–as you might have guessed–peeled raw beets, finely diced.

Make sure you cut off the tail.*

*Which I would like to point out looks oddly like a rat tail. And NOT the kind sported during the late 80s and early 90s by Billy Ray Cyrus and the boy I had a crush on in second grade. As I have already revealed my watermelon(choly) this summer, it should be no surprise that I not only had watermelon on hand, but also that I wanted to recreate a pairing I had previously attempted.Shoud you all be diligent students of The Smart Kitchen, you know that the rest of the requirements for superb salsa are simple: cilantro, lime juice, red onion, and jalapeno.

Bound together in a bowl…Bellisima!Raw Beet + Watermelon Salsa

1 1/2 cup raw beets, finely diced

1 1/2 cup seedless watermelon, finely diced

1 jalapeno, seeded (or not) and chopped

1/4 cup red onion, finely diced

1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped

Juice of one lime

Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Stir well to combine.

[Flavors develop and beets soften over time. :) ]

————-

B is also for Back-to-School, and today is my first day of pre-service week!

Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean August 13, 2012 at 6:47 am

oooh yum! would never have thought to put both pretty red things together

Liz @ iheartvegetables August 13, 2012 at 7:45 am

That sounds so delicious!!! I love watermelon. I was scared to try beets for the longest time, I have no idea why, but now I like ‘em!

Hope you had an amazing birthday!! I wish I could have been there!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table August 13, 2012 at 8:03 am

This may be one of the most awesome-looking things you’ve ever made. I ALMOST bought a watermelon last night. Why didn’t I?!?!?! Love the different textured from the raw beet and the melon.

Glad you had a good birthday! I was loving the IG pics. :)

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List August 13, 2012 at 8:18 am

am i allowed to say just one more happy birthday?!!
(happy birthday)

Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers August 13, 2012 at 8:26 am

Beer pairings, gelato, and birthdays – oh my! So much good stuff… the nut butter included! :) It sounds great. My fav bday cake was when I was in 5th grade or so. My grandma let me cut my own piece, so naturally I cut about 1/4 the cake. It think it was the only dessert I couldn’t finish.

sarah @ sarah learns August 13, 2012 at 10:25 am

happy birthday yesterday, my dear! :) i’m not sure i’ve ever tried raw beets – crossing my fingers that there are some in our csa box tomorrow!

Danica @ It's Progression August 13, 2012 at 11:25 am

I was reading this with a huge obnoxious emphasis on every ‘B’ haha

Allie August 13, 2012 at 12:21 pm

Love your use of BOLD, nothing like alliteration :) And oh my gosh, RAW beets! Of course! I always munch on the raw beet bits while chopping them up to cook–I’ve never just…stopped there. Will do the next time I find great fresh beets at the farmer’s market!

Brittany @ Delights and Delectables August 13, 2012 at 6:08 pm

I’m so glad you had a great birthday! This salad looks really good. I would have never thought of watermelon and beet together!

Tessa @ Amazing Asset August 13, 2012 at 9:13 pm

That is so wonderful you had a nice birthday! Can’t say I have ever tried raw beats before… the idea makes me a bit nervous to be honest ;) This recipe does look good though and I am sure paired with the watermelon it makes for a nice combo

Heather Blackmon @ Better With Veggies August 14, 2012 at 1:57 pm

This looks beautiful, but you know I’ll have to pass on making this one. Me and watermelon just don’t get along. But I already finished the first 3 Sherlocks and love it, so we can still be friends. :)

Tianna August 14, 2012 at 8:59 pm

From your twitter feed, it seems like you had an amazing birthday and you deserve it!!! Beets + anything = amazing! :) and you add an extra special zest to everything!

Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets August 14, 2012 at 10:05 pm

Your beet salad is bedazzling.