What I Ate (Flying)

by Sarah on July 4, 2012 · 22 comments

Happy 4th of July!

In addition to the American flag, let’s all celebrate something else that’s flying today.*

*Or yesterday….whatever.

No, Jenn, I did not suddenly fulfill a lifelong dream of joining Peter Pan in Neverland. Instead I spent much of the day traveling from Pennsylvania to Wisconsin, in order to commemorate not only the 4th of July, but the 90th (birthday) of Grandpa Smart.I wish I could say that I celebrated fitness as we were all encouraged to do for this month’s weekly What I Ate (and now also “worked”?) blogger show and tell, but instead I spent a lot of time sitting.Fine, I had gone to the gym in the morning, where I impressed myself by running over three miles when I said I’d just run two. [Virtual high-five!] Pre-airport, I had a piece of toast made on the P28 bread that Lauren gifted me, slathered with a bit of Chai Nut (Tea) Butter and some Bitter Orange Marmalade I found in Papa Smart’s pantry.

And berries. Obviously.

Ain't no shame in the paper towel plate, y'all.

En route to the airport, Sister Smart looked at me and asked, “What snacks did you pack this time, sister?” Being known for my often outlandish attempts at smuggling crazy food through TSA baggage checks, I have to say I was rather disappointed in myself on this trip.There was also, however, a bag of cut up veggies that I saved from my powerless fridge in Virginia that returned the favor by saving me from the expensive and not vegan (with or without benefits) friendly airport food.I found some (shockingly delicious)Heinz dijon mustard packets at the Au Bon Pain……which proved to be a good ‘dip’ for my vegetables.*

*I said the Spanish pronunciation of verduras in my head just then…in case you were wondering.Let’s just say by the time we had suffered through sitting on the tarmac for 30 minutes, taken off, and were permitted to get our bags from the overhead compartments, I was VERY eager to dive headfirst into the bag of Peanut Butter Multigrain Cheerios I had packed. [The Pink Lady tasted great, too.]By the time we landed in Milwaukee, I was craving salty snackage, and since I’d already polished off the Special K Crackers I’d confiscated from Papa Smart’s pantry, I proceeded to eat the remnants of both Sister and Papa Smart’s Food Should Taste Good chips.

It appears the 'warmth' meter on their color editing system was slightly off in production.

On the way from Milwaukee to my grandparents’ house in Janesville, Papa Smart queried the rest of the car if anyone needed to stop for a soda “or something.” Obviously, this meant HE needed to stop for a soda…and in the midwest, that means only one thing for a Smart: Diet Sun Drop.Papa Smart also has a propensity for popcorn, and so he picked up some Jay’s O-Ke-Doke White Popcorn as well.This stuff definitely was “more than OK.” It was the perfect balance of salty and buttery…but WAY too potentially addicting…Of course, by the time we got to dinner at the Milwaukee Grill, I had gotten over my earlier popcorn indulgence.But I mean, if your family knows a restaurant as “that place we always go with the really good popcorn at the bar,” you have to eat some, right?There was only one cheeseless vegetarian option on the menu. [This is Wisconsin after all.] Luckily for me, that involved a “Build Your Own (Veggie) Burger” situation.Hey, I did warn the waitress that this was ‘gonna be fun.’ I just don’t think she realized HOW fun as I rambled off ‘open faced on the marble rye, with grilled onions, grilled mushrooms, grilled peppers, pickles, tomato, lettuce’…”oh, and the grilled pineapple from this sandwich in this other section on the menu.”

Um. Yum.

So there you have it. The grand old flag might be high-flying, but forever in food may I wave.

(And yes, I realize I didn’t stick to a theme of what I actually ate while flying…but if Buzz Lightyear can go to infinity and beyond, I can go to the airplane and beyond if I want to.)

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table July 4, 2012 at 12:38 am

I. Love. You. The burger creation alone is impressive. Good call on the pineapple. Forever in food I may wave with you.

Fran@ Broken Cookies Don't Count July 4, 2012 at 6:06 am

Your veggie burger looks delicious! What a treat to find packets of dijon…my favorite…Enjoy your visit, Sarah!

Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile July 4, 2012 at 7:07 am

Haha I always pack snacks!!! You never know when you will randomly get starving and need something out of your purse :)

Kristen @ notsodomesticated July 4, 2012 at 7:11 am

You are always so hilarious! Love this post! And your veggie burger looks amazing!

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin July 4, 2012 at 8:55 am

I thought I packed a lot of snacks when travelling… but I think you have me beat! That’s an impressive haul there. ;)

Also that’s awesome that the restaurant offered a build your own veggie burger. That would be fun to create!

Shelby @ everyday vegan girl July 4, 2012 at 9:07 am

I am going to contact you about that chai nut butter…omg, I’m dying for that now! I love all your traveling snacks…so fun to travel with (healthy) food!

Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers July 4, 2012 at 9:25 am

I’m always inspired and entertained by your food smuggling. :) Great Eats!

Kati Mora, MS, RD, Kellogg's FiberPlus(R) Wellness Advocate July 4, 2012 at 9:29 am

It looks like you had a great set of snacks with you on your trip! Cereal is one of my favorite travel snacks too – its just so portable! Actually, I often have a small baggie of Kellogg’s FiberPlus Cinnamon Oat Crunch cereal with me. Its a great “just-in-case-I-get-hungry” snack option traveling or not. :)

Anne Weber-Falk July 4, 2012 at 10:13 am

Welcome back to the mid-west! I live about an hour south from where you are, but in Illinois. Are you enjoying our heatwave? Feels like you never left home. I hope you are having a great time celebrating with your family. Enjoy!

Katie @ Nutrition in a Peanut Shell July 4, 2012 at 11:07 am

So, after the sundrop picture, I read your entire post with the commercial with the guy and the girl “break dancing” and then meeting, their mutual sundrop loving bringing them together.
Hope you’re having a good time!

Hannah@mindrunningwild July 4, 2012 at 12:12 pm

No one ever sticks to a theme. In fact, I’m sure that not sticking to a theme is far more interesting :)
That said, I always smuggle odd bits and bobs onto the airplane as well, as the food is always sub par. I remember stalking around London Heathrow on my way home this year trying to look for lunch that wasn’t either £12 or wasn’t a candy bar or chip. *sigh*.
A girl after my own heart you are, with your mustard dippage. Mustard is a favourite condiment of mine. Oh yes indeedy.

Brittany @ Delights and Delectables July 4, 2012 at 1:26 pm

lol.. you are so cute! Love how you hoard snacks like me! :) That build your own burger sounds awesome!

teabagginit July 4, 2012 at 1:28 pm

always entertaining! i was a vegan when i visited wisconsin … yup, that was difficult but definitely do-able! although, i have no doubt that your trip will be a lot more creative than mine (which involved multiple trips to subway for veggie delights … which were not all that delightful). can’t wait to see some more re-caps!

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning July 4, 2012 at 2:55 pm

“This is gonna be fun!” LOL!! You are too cute.
I think I always end up eating twice the calories when I fly. Especially traveling out west, since you have 2-3 extra hours!

Jessica July 4, 2012 at 6:12 pm

Eating well while traveling is always such a challenge for me! Looks like you did a great job of keeping your trip healthy!

Sarah @ Learning to Feed Yourself July 4, 2012 at 11:18 pm

Welcome to Wisconsin!

It can definitely be a challenge to find even vegetarian options in parts of the state, but if you look in the right places, we actually have some delicious vegetarian and vegan restaurants; I hope you have to chance to try a few!! :)

Calee (@chimes) July 5, 2012 at 10:30 am

Ha — one smart cookie! I love this post. I actually did pretty well myself. I smuggled oats, protein powder, popcorn, aminos, and all sorts of goodies.

Eating 4 Balance July 6, 2012 at 6:04 pm

I’ve never been a big fan of mustard, but everyone seems to be using dijion these days that I think I will finally have to try it.

Also (I know this is a little random), I think your nut butters look simply fantastic and are such a great idea. If I didn’t have a peanut allergy I would already be ordering that cookie dough one!

Sarah July 8, 2012 at 6:54 pm

Thanks so much! I do hope to one day tinker with the recipe and see if I can make it peanut free. [Don't worry, I'll definitely let the world know if that happens. ;) ]

Lexi @ You, Me, & A World to See July 7, 2012 at 10:00 pm

Hahha I thought I was the only one in this world who has a guilty love of the paper towel plate ;)

Brittany July 15, 2012 at 8:39 pm
Brittany July 15, 2012 at 8:44 pm

Oh my gosh I die this is life changingly awesome.