Powerless

by Sarah on July 2, 2012 · 18 comments

Little did I know that while I was dancing and singing along with Eric Hutchinson on Friday night, there was a crazy storm making its way through Charlottesville.You’d think that the flickering sound and lights during the show would have tipped me off. Or perhaps the scary storm animation on my phone. Or even the debris all over the Downtown Mall when we exited…but I remained blissfully unaware of the problem.*

*And no, I hadn’t been drinking.

Until Rach and I arrived home to this:

Of course, it was aftr midnight at this point. So imagine pitch blackness.

We were powerless.

And thus, my weekend was spent not doing the things I should have done, like thanking Maria, my Foodie Pen Pal, for the box of snackity treats she mailed me this month….…but instead seeking out coffee and Wi-Fi at places like CVille Coffee, where I analyzed and calculated Nutty Butter orders while joining with the other powerless citizens of the surrounding counties in a community of comradarie so supportive that I was actually surprised we didn’t break into a High School Musical-inspired round of “We’re All In This Together.”  It wasn’t the lack of A/C that caused me to become discombobulated, but the fact that I had so many of th aforementioned Nutty Butter orders to fill. A good problem, yes, but one I would much prefer to deal with when The Smart Kitchen has power.Lucky for me, I have a friend like Alex, who let me take over her kitchen all afternoon–even taking me to get more nuts when I ran out–and didn’t complain once about the truckloads of supplies I brought in or the excessive amount of noise I was making……all in exchange for nothing more than a few tablespoons of leftover Nutty Butter.

She also fielded the following questions over the course of the weekend, showing lots of patience on her part:

• Saturday, 10:30 PM–”Would you be my moral support while I attempt to change my license plates in the dark?”
  • Sunday, 7:30 AM–”Would you mind storing some yogurt in your fridge?”

Operation: Save the Chobani

She also let me recharge my phone, camera, and computer, which later allowed me to watch a bit of This Means War by candlelight.

There is something very ironic about this picture, isn't there?

When not making Nutty Butter or freaking out about Instagram being ‘down,’ I was spending a rather large amount of time at the gym, where I could not only watch TV (while also ellipticalizing–bonus) but also blow-dry my hair.Although blow-drying your hair is rather pointless when as soon as you step outside you are hit with 100-degree heat, and no A/C in sight. Luckily, when I had the joy of meeting up with Lauren on the Downtown Mall for a brief chat and stroll with her and her mom, she didn’t mind my bedraggled appearance.She even gave me presents! [Some leftover P28 Bread, the Dandy Blend I had asked her about on her blog a few days ago, and her very first batch of homemade almond butter, in a reused Nutty Butter jar. ;) ]

Although it was a rather lovely weekend overall, I had reached my (circuti) breaking point with this powerlessness.

Since I was going to be going home on Monday anyway to leave for Wisconsin with my family on Tuesday, I figured I might as well leave 20 hours early. After loading up all of the (unlabeled) Nutty Butter into the car, I threw everything important in the fridge into two coolers…

Thank the Lord for companies you send you industrial strength freezer packs. STILL nearly frozen after almost 3 days!

…and threw a bunch more random food into bags. [Yes, I travel with entire stalks of celery. What about it?]

And I drove home to Pennsylvania.

Where I cut up a watermelon at 11:30 at night.

And then wrote this blog post. [NOT by candlelight.]

Powerless no more.

Leila @ Spinach and Skittles July 2, 2012 at 2:49 am

Goodness, those are some great lengths you had to go through to fulfill your nutty butter orders and save your fridge contents. Thank God for good friends and awesome companies, eh? Have a fab time in Wiscconsin.

Fran@ Broken Cookies Don't Count July 2, 2012 at 6:28 am

Sounds frustrating, but as always you had a good attitude. Enjoy your visit home, Sarah!

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat July 2, 2012 at 8:16 am

Sounds like a really challenging weekend – enjoy your trip though!

sarah @ sarah learns July 2, 2012 at 9:42 am

oh my goodness! i’m glad you (and your food) made it home safely!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table July 2, 2012 at 10:14 am

I was reading this post singing “I get by with a little help from my friends…”

Glad you are back together now, no long bedraggled (awesome word, btw). Let me know how you like that protein bread. I think I need that in my new bodybuilding life.

R July 2, 2012 at 12:08 pm

Me=jealous of your power. However, I am very happy you are basking in the joy of electricity. :)

Alex July 2, 2012 at 4:28 pm

Rach I’m happy to share with you too! :)

Katie @ Nutrition in a Peanut Shell July 2, 2012 at 1:03 pm

Ah, I’m so glad you’re okay! I heard the storms on the Atlantic were fatal :c
Horray for power!

rebecca @ blueberry smiles July 2, 2012 at 1:33 pm

What a storm!! Glad your yogurts are safe :-) I never full appreciate how much I rely on electricity until we have a power outage and it’s gone…crazy how much we need it, even for the little stuff

Brittany @ Delights and Delectables July 2, 2012 at 2:39 pm

Sounds like you had a crazy weekend! So sorry you were without power. Have fun with your family!

Talia @ Bite Size Wellness July 2, 2012 at 3:47 pm

Sometimes being forced to unplugged is so nice! you get creative and feel…well, liberated. Sounds like you had fun!

Lexi @ You, Me, & A World to See July 2, 2012 at 4:01 pm

That storm was crazy indeed! It blew through DC out of nowhere :(

Maria July 2, 2012 at 4:50 pm

That’s some dedicated nutty butter making there.

Safe travels to Wisconsin (see you when you get back? maybe sort of? hopefully?)!

Healthy Living Val July 2, 2012 at 6:00 pm

Bravo for getting all that done with no power! I had no idea about the bad storm over there. One of the reasons I love having a gas stove.

lindsay July 2, 2012 at 7:39 pm

girl you had me worried. I thought the chobani might not live. haha, jk! Looks like you have some great people that came to your rescue. Glad things are back to normal. xxoo

Kait @ yogabeautylife July 2, 2012 at 10:12 pm

Hope you get power back soon! I feel you 100%…staying at the beau’s cousins (sans the beau) until my power returns. Which I’m hoping is soon since they are getting married this weekend and probably want some time that doesn’t involve me on their couch!

Sarah @ Learning to Feed Yourself July 3, 2012 at 4:01 pm

Be ready for some crazy heat here in Wisconsin!! Hopefully it won’t be as bad as the storm you guys had though!

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning July 4, 2012 at 2:51 pm

I’m still so jealous of your concert Friday night- and man, you are a TROOPER cranking out the nutty butter with the power outages! For the record- you looked ADORABLE on Sunday- and it was SO GREAT to see you, even if it was only for 30 minutes. :) You’ll have to come visit me soon!!