My Cheesehead Is Made of Soy

by Sarah on July 11, 2012 · 17 comments

Although I spent all of last week in Wisconsin, the closest I got to eating cheese was modeling this symbol of  Papa Smart’s favorite football team in the airport prior to (on time!) departure.In fact, if I had a (faux) cheesehead, it would probably be made out of soy, based on the sheer amount of it I consumed during the week. I’m not talking about just tofu……although when my family decided to celebrate the Fourth of July in the style of the pilgrims with a roast turkey, mashed potaoes, and cranberry sauce* I substituted with a tofu stir fry of sorts.

*I guess it’s like having a BBQ on Christmas, right? And they do that in Australia.^

^And yes, I did for a minute wonder if Aussies would also have a turkey dinner on the 4th…before realizing they have no reason to celebrate.

I might not have had turkey, but I DID have cranberry sauce. :)

No, Jenn, and all you What I Are Wednesday followers, I’m talking about the less pure form of soy that perhaps normally might be alarming if consumed too frequently, but in the face of a tempeh-less society, one I would happily turn to: the hydrolyzed soy protein known as the ‘veggie’ burger.I already showed y’all the ‘build your own’ veggie burger I lucked into finding at the Milwaukee Grill our first night in town. [It's only more beautiful the second time around.]Frozen Bocas also helped get met through our nights spent cooking at Grammie Smart’s house.[Bunless on both counts, but heavily doctored with mustard and/or Heinz 57 sauce. The focus, as usual, was on my ingenuity with side dishes: Simple Bean Salad above, Wild Rice Salad below.]Leftover Morningstar Garden Patties–yes, we (Sister Smart and I) were equal opportunity veggie burger consumers–found their crumbled way onto a massive salad I made to take with me to the country club for a poolside lunch.Diet Sundrop ‘on tap’ made the whole thing even better. [And if Grammie Smart thought it was crazy when I pulled out the giant tup-faux-ware container from my backpack she didn't say so...at least not that time.]Perhaps the most surprising–or should I say soy-prising?–moment came after visiting Papa Smart’s farm land in Illinois. After checking out the state of the Smart Family–you guess it–soy beans….…we ventured into the nearest small town, where the only thing open was Raelyn’s Pub & Eatery–where, shockingly to me, they had a veggie burger on the menu. [Just not what you expect in the middle of nowhere, Illinois.]Although the actual burger was a frozen Boca, I think, it didn’t really matter, because the glory that emerged from the kitchen was so amazing, I couldn’t have cared less. Not only did they ask if I wanted raw or sauteed mushrooms on my burger (when do you ever get offered raw mushrooms?), the chef carved a star in the button on top!

I definitely wasn't mad about the housemade BBQ potato chips or the pretzel bun, either.

I might have had a slight veggie burger overload during my time in Wisconsin…but in the end, that wasn’t soy bad. :)

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table July 11, 2012 at 12:26 am

So this is going to sound weird, but I have been outside that same store in the WI airport. Is it sick that I recognized it by the cheese selection in the background?

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More July 11, 2012 at 12:54 am

If you haven’t, you MUST try the ones from Costco. They are super yummy and definitely my current favorite!

Shelby @ EverydayVeganGirl July 11, 2012 at 1:52 am

YES! The ones from Costco are the best!

sarah @ sarah learns July 11, 2012 at 12:45 pm

ohhh, now i want to go seek out the costco veggie burgers! i like to make my own, but convenience wins out often! :)

Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes July 11, 2012 at 1:50 am

We have these yummy Linda McCartney ones in the UK, but I love to make my own.

Shelby @ EverydayVeganGirl July 11, 2012 at 1:51 am

Yum, veggie burger on a pretzel bun…can it get any better!?!?

Fran@ Broken Cookies Don't Count July 11, 2012 at 5:58 am

Veggie burgers are my saviour so many times. I need to learn to make my own. I have a great recipe but blew the “construction” last time I tried. Need to try again!

Jen July 11, 2012 at 7:10 am

I’ve tried Boca Burgers before. They have saved me a few times at work because you can “heat and go” and I hate a dried out regular burger!!

Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers July 11, 2012 at 8:05 am

Pretzel bun for the win! That’s awesome.

teabagginit July 11, 2012 at 9:10 am

they actually had soy burgers at some of the subways i visited in the midwest! i guess they’re supporting their local soy-conomy!

Jessica July 11, 2012 at 9:18 am

I love veggies burgers…I eat them almost every day!

Christine @ Oatmeal Bowl July 11, 2012 at 10:26 am

You’re in the area… have you tried those No Bull Burgers? They look fantastic!

And your meals look delicious, too! especially love putting veggie burgers in my salad. Yum! As for soy… I am so big with the Non-GMO movement with soy. Because lots of soy is genetically modified with pesticides.

so, i was over joyed to recently find out Silk Soy is Non-GMO.

I laughed when I say ‘tofu and stir-fry’ because my daughter named her new hamster tofu. And we were talking last night about what to name a hamster if we got Tofu a pal. I said ‘stir fry’. mad me laugh.

Lexi @ You, Me, & A World to See July 11, 2012 at 11:14 am

LOVE veggie burgers! Going out to dinner with friends tonight for what is supposedly the “best veggie burger ever.” Jury is out–we’ll have to see :)

sarah @ sarah learns July 11, 2012 at 12:46 pm

oh yeah, and my favorite burger i’ve ever had in madison is a grilled portobello “burger”. just saying –>come to madison!

Liz @ IHeartVegetables July 11, 2012 at 2:05 pm

I’m always a little sad when a restaurant has a veggie burger, but it’s actually just a frozen boca burger BUT at least they put some effort into it! haha :)

I’m so sad I missed you last night! I hope we can catch up soon!!!

Eating 4 Balance July 11, 2012 at 6:27 pm

Whoa. Pretzel bun? Sounds delicious. I love veggie burgers, but the ingredients kind of scare me. It’s just, they taste so good! Have you ever tried making your own. Homemade I would definitely eat.

luv what you do July 11, 2012 at 10:18 pm

The cheese hats crack me up. On one of my trips last summer, I even found a cheese bra : )