Merry Christmas In July! [WIAW]

by Sarah on July 25, 2012 · 25 comments

Merry Christmas in July!

If you’ve been following along, this week I’ve been celebrating one of my favorite parts of summer (camp) and spreading the joy of gift-giving with giveaways of the Nutty Butter and granola kind. [And I’m not done yet..]

I’m a regular (not so) Secret Santa.*

*With not so secret split ends.

Although we know it’s more important to give than to receive, I am happy to  report that my imaginary cat was not without wrapping paper to bat around this (fake) holiday season. Not only did tickets for my favorite band of all time’s last tour arrive in the mail*…

*A present to myself, but a present nonetheless.…I received a box of my favorite protein barsThe Simply Bar–after winning a contest on Katie’s blog!With all this gift giving going on, I couldn’t help but feel the Christmas spirit translate itself into my food, too.

Salsa RED + Veggie GREEN

So, Jenn and all of the rest of you merry What I Ate Wednesday elves, I present the colors of the Christmas season in their warm-weather form.

Just because it’s too hot to turn on the oven, and the thought of eating a heavy winter meal might make your stomach turn, doesn’t mean you can’t summerize the season.

(That would be a green apple Christmas tree with Nature’s Indulgence Lemon Blueberry granola ‘star.’)

After all, isn’t the ‘fruit of summer naturally decked out in Christmas red and green?Of course, I haven’t had to cut into mine–complete with piggy tail–yet, because Rach and I are both in the habit of consuming entire watermelons on our own in periods of less than 24 hours, and I lucked into her leftover rinds last night.Call me crazy, but as much a I love the juicy center, I also love the more mild tasting ‘rindy’ part. :)Summer vegetables also get in on the “if only we tasted good at Christmas when our colors would be so useful for theme parties” act.

Can we talk about Papa Smart’s GINORMOUS homegrown tomatoes for a second?

Heart-shaped and "love"-ly, no?

Take some tomatoes, dice ’em up, and quick-sear them to make a ‘sauce’ for some Cornmeal-Coated Tofu Croquettes“‘nestled all snug in their bed(s)” of holiday green zucchini.

Broken up, we might even make a case that the croquettes look like tofu snow.*

*Well, maybe snow after it’s fallen and cars have driven through it and it’s bunched up on the side of the street…but still.See? It’s really not hard to bring the Christmas spirit–or at least the seasonal colors–to your food at ANY time of the year. How will YOU celebrate Christmas in July?

Perhaps you could eat a medley of green and red bell peppers?

Or make some Watermelon Cherry Mint Salsa?*

*I just made that up. Is that a thing? It should be a thing.

You could always just eat some ice cream since it’s cold. Like winter.

Or sprinkle coconut on a grapefruit-that-looks-like-an-orange since grated coconut looks like snow.

That’s what the cool kids elves are doing.

Tweet about this on TwitterShare on FacebookEmail this to someonePin on Pinterest

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table July 25, 2012 at 12:22 am

So many things to comment on… but I’m stuck on the pic of you as Santa. Can I request an autographed copy? And is that a bag of #nuttybutter? Inquiring #nuttypimps want to know!

Sarah July 25, 2012 at 9:56 am

What else would I carry around but #nuttybutter? [And I think that photo will be my Christmas card this year. Thoughts?]

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table July 25, 2012 at 12:29 pm

I’m pretty sure it HAS to be your Christmas card.

whatwouldjessicaeat July 25, 2012 at 12:42 am

The Croquettes look amazing…and so colorful!

Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers July 25, 2012 at 5:56 am

Ha – so clever. I like the sound of cornmeal tofu. I bet it’d be good w/ a little bbq!

Fran@ Broken Cookies Don't Count July 25, 2012 at 6:43 am

The Santa photo is so Cute! Did you post a recipe for tofu croquettes and I missed it. I used to love chicken croquettes and would welcome a veggie alternative!

Sarah July 25, 2012 at 9:55 am

Don’t worry…I haven’t posted the recipe. I will be talking about it tomorrow, along with giving away some Nasoya tofu. :)

Kristen @ notsodomesticated July 25, 2012 at 7:41 am

Love that Santa photo! The green boxer shorts add quite the nice touch! Haha! 😉

Sarah July 25, 2012 at 9:56 am

Interestingly enough, those are legit shorts from Old Navy. Although since I’m wearing them with a men’s undershirt…

Lauren @ Chocolate, Cheese and Wine July 25, 2012 at 9:59 am

What a cute idea! Those tomatoes look delicious, I WISH they tasted good during the winter.

Katie @ Nutrition in a Peanut Shell July 25, 2012 at 10:07 am

Sarah-Santa! I think there’s no coincidence they both start with S 😉

R July 25, 2012 at 10:13 am

So…I like the watermelon cherry mint salsa idea. And we have mint julep growing right outside of our front door. But I think I’ll be out of watermelon by the day’s end, so perhaps you should use your watermelon to try it out…To celebrate Christmas in July, I’ll probably binge eat some more Breyer’s ice cream. I”m just sayin’.

Debbie (accidently delish) July 25, 2012 at 10:23 am

Christmas in my house was always oatmeal cookies. I know. Nothing special but oatmeal cookies always remind me of Christmas. Plain ole oatmeal cookies nothing special. Now I want some. Maybe I’ll bake some 😉

By the way you are just too cute haha

Danica @ It's Progression July 25, 2012 at 10:28 am

You never fail to make me laugh. That santa picture is too funny

Laurie @ Love, Laugh, Laurie July 25, 2012 at 10:32 am

Such a cute post ! (Love your blog!)

Sarah July 25, 2012 at 10:58 am

Thanks! I wish I had ‘met’ you just a few weeks earlier…my grandparents live in Janesville and I flew in and out of Milwaukee. I’m hoping to come back soon. :)

Calee (@chimes) July 25, 2012 at 10:48 am

Ha — that pic of you as Santa is hilarious. I love the theme. :)

Candy @ Healthy In Candy Land July 25, 2012 at 10:52 am

How cute are you and this post?! Thank you for brightening my day that started way too early thanks to a very bad cat. Again.

Ashley @ Freckles & Spice July 25, 2012 at 11:22 am

Too funny! Miss ya friend :)

Heather Blackmon @ Better With Veggies July 25, 2012 at 12:31 pm

Aren’t homegrown tomatoes the best kind? We had to leave ours behind in Atlanta, so I’m going through withdrawals a bit. And that pic of you as Santa? Priceless! :)

Maria @ Little Miss Cornucopia July 25, 2012 at 7:17 pm

Wow! Everything looks so fresh and tasty. Christmas in July looks amazing!! You’re just too cute in that photo btw!! You make the perfect little elf!!

Brittany @ Delights and Delectables July 25, 2012 at 9:36 pm

Love that pic of you as Santa!! You can come be my Santa as long as Santa brings nutty butter!!!! :) I need your recipe for tofu croquettes!

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More July 25, 2012 at 9:59 pm

Yay! Your prize arrived! :)

Ozlem July 26, 2012 at 9:18 am

Wow I want that cookbook. I use extra firm tofu in my stir fry’s a lot. Or baked tofu simply goes easily on my salads. Thank you!

Lexi @ You, Me, & A World to See July 27, 2012 at 5:25 pm