It looks like puppy chow.
But this is no ordinary canine treat.
[Apple Cinnamon Chex = The Result of a CRAZY Night in the 70s between Cinnamon Toast Crunch, Apple Cinnamon Cheerios, and Rice Chex]…combines with half a bag of butterscotch chips leftover from the last time you ventured down the dark path towards (perfectly legal, but no less dangerous) chow addiction.You think to yourself, “Self, I’ve never been too solid on the real difference between butterscotch and caramel as it is, I can just add coconut oil to the chips for extra buttery goodness…”“…and call it caramel apple, because butterscotch apple doesn’t really conjure up the appropriate connotations.”
By now you should know how to do this.
Melt the chips—trying not to lick the spoon too often while stirring–and cover the cereal in the gooooooooooey greatnesss.Add powdered sugar in either a tightly sealable Tup-faux-ware or zip–adeedoda–bag.
Shake. Shimmy. Sample.
[Repeat?]Then pack it away and get it as far away from you as possible.This time…it’s going to the UK.Where I’m the sure the Brits call it Hounds’ Tooth or something quaintly quirky like that.Who says Caramel Apples are only for the fall anyway?
Caramel Apple Puppy Chow
- 1 box Apple Cinnamon Chex
- 1 bag butterscotch chips
- 2-3 Tablespoons coconut oil
- powdered sugar [to preference and taste]
- Pour cereal into a large mixing bowl.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt butterscotch chips into coconut oil. [Heat for 1 minute, 10 seconds;stir. Repeat at 10 second intervals until chips melt smoothly into oil.]
- Spoon butterscotch over cereal. Stir well–or use your hands–to coat.
- Put cereal mixture into a resealable container or bag. Cover with powdered sugar. Shake until all pieces are coated.
- Indulge. [Or ban it from your presence.]