Awesome in the Adirondacks

by Sarah on July 20, 2012 · 9 comments

Welcome back to another edition of Things That Are Awesome…a Friday feature for the summer that allows me to channel a bunch of random thoughts and photos into a blog post in a completely haphazard and unplanned well-thought-out and cohesive way.

This week, we celebrate Things That Were Awesome in the Adirondacks.———————–

1. Hiking[Or maybe just the opportunity to wear my hiking socks?*]

*Also useful for soccer…and pretending to be a leprechaun on St. Patrick’s Day.

————————

2. Spinning around on the top of an Olympic ski mountain and pretending to be Maria Von Trapp.

[You know it's a dream of yours, too.]

————————-

3. Restaurants you stumble upon in the middle of a very small NY town hamlet.…that have overwhelmingly giant menus……notable for the opportunity to order kim chi as a side dish (?)

[Which you obviously have to order, then put on top of  Greek salad, which you eat with a sundried tomato Italian dressing. It's an international fusion meal in the middle of nowhere, USA.]

————————–

4. Sabra Tuscan Herb Hummus

Mama Smart and I almost didn’t pick this type up at Costco, but I’m sure glad we did. It tastes great as a dip, but made my packed sandwiches from alright to AWESOME in a matter of niblets.

'Butt' sandwiches are also pretty awesome.

Speaking of packed lunches…spontaneous dining by the side of a river is also pretty awesome.

———–

5. Exotic Mimosa at The Whiteface Lodge

Consumed post-Lake Placid shopping/torrential downpour adventure in the swanky man cave-of-a-bar at the upscale Whiteface Lodge, this was the perfect balance of bubbly and blood orange, with the sweet undertone (and scent) of lychee liquor.

———————————

6. Family Bonding

High up in the mountains……or beside rivers.

Wondering how much longer (and how many more random stops to look at scenery) it will take to get there……and gathering at the nearest bar after a long day of outdoor adventures.

Celebrating our newly joined family was the MOST awesome part of the Adirondacks. :)

sarah @ sarah learns July 20, 2012 at 9:52 am

woooooo, i want to try that new hummus. i picked up a giant container of the roasted pine nut sabra at costco a couple weeks ago. i’ll keep my eyes open for the tuscan herb. sounds tasty!

Fran@ Broken Cookies Don't Count July 20, 2012 at 1:33 pm

“Butt” sandwiches are the Best! Especially when you’re packing a sandwich that needs to sit for a while. Much more sturdy than “inside” bread! Looks like you’re having fun!

Lexi @ You, Me, & A World to See July 20, 2012 at 1:36 pm

Looove “butt” sandwiches. I think they’re underappreciated ;)

Sonia the mexigarian July 21, 2012 at 4:55 pm

It looks like you had an amazing week :) what’s a butt sandwich?

Sarah July 21, 2012 at 7:20 pm

Although I guess technically any pulled pork sandwich could be considered a ‘butt’ sandwich (if made with pork butt…which is actually the shoulder I think), in this case, it is a sandwich using the butt end of the bread. [And, also, conveniently, the 'butt' ends of the tomato. :) ]

Liz @ iheartvegetables July 21, 2012 at 5:06 pm

Hahaha I love your hiking socks. And I’ve never had Kim Chee so I’m jealous of that!!! And yes, hummus really makes everything better ;)

Brittany @ Delights and Delectables July 21, 2012 at 5:37 pm

looks so fun!! I love those socks! Stylin’!

Living, Learning, Eating July 21, 2012 at 7:41 pm

I thought you *weren’t* doing much hiking? It looks awesome, though, I’m so jealous! And, btw, school mix is such a great name – I think it’s so awesome & admirable that you’re an elementary school teacher! My little sister is going into the second grade this fall :)

And I’m so happy to find someone else who like butts the best! My mom is the only one in my family who will eat them, but hey – more butts for me!

amy Q July 24, 2012 at 2:55 pm

OMGoodness– you were in my neighborhood! (Lake Placid!)