What I (Salvaged) Wednesday

by Sarah on June 13, 2012 · 16 comments

Unless this is your first time at this particular rodeo, you know that in addition to wrangling horses,* I am an ace when it comes to lassoing a deal on marked down produce at the grocery store.

*In my cowboy-lovin’ dreams, y’all. In my cowboy lovin’ dreams…The problem with winning the manager clearance event every time, is that occasionally you find yourself needing to salvage something that is literally on it’s last leg. (And, unlike in a rodeo, you didn’t have a hand in it.)

Combine that with the fact that I am obsessively anti-waste, and I often find myself getting quite creative–or just turning a blind eye to the ugly–so as to turn what someone else might throw away into a mighty fine meal.

That's me in the trash can, by the way.

Take those mushrooms for example, Jenn (and all you other What I Ate Wednesday cowpokes). They certainly weren’t pretty, but they weren’t yet slimy or anything. And who cares how it looks as long as it tastes good? [Especially when paired with some leftover and changing color tempeh from my Tempeh Reuben Salad.]And when the sight of bananas starts to cause a sore eye, you just stick ‘em in the freezer, because inside they will be perfectly ripe and ready to cool off a warm bowl of oats in the summer morning heat.[And just because you almost burn the oatmeal doesn't mean it's not salvageable. I said almost, didn't I? You better believe I scraped every last bit of that lightly toasted--and delicious--mush from the bottom...]Are you going to pass up some often-quite-expensive arugula, just because you are afraid you won’t be able to use it in time?

Heck no! Just stick those peppery leaves into every salad you can create.

[Bonus points if you also incorporate the mysterious sixth man fifth tomato (where there are normally just four...) in the canned whole tomatoes you used when making Mexican Style Pineapple Salsa...]

That TJ's Guacamole Hummus you see in the corner wasn't lookin' too pretty...but it still tasted darn good.

Of course, sometimes you will find yourself in a near vegetable death situation. And in that case, there is only one thing left to do…

COOK!*

*In this case, summer squash with roasted garlic and lots of dill…a Papa Smart special. :) Remember the tomato juice from the canned tomatoes I told you to save when making the pineapple salsa yesterday?

Well, tomato juice is just one (hot) step–and some Tuscan seasoning–away from tomato soup.

It’s also where yellowing arugula and gettin’ slimy mushrooms go to die.Nothing ugly about THAT, now is there?

I rounded out this meal with some of Rach‘s roasted new potatoes…eaten with my fingers straight from the pot. [Interestingly enough, also how I ate the squash.]

Because not only am I good at salvaging food. I’m good at scavenging for it, too. :)

Kristen @ notsodomesticated June 13, 2012 at 7:16 am

I love that you don’t let anything go to waste! That’s how I am, too. If it’s about to go bad, find some way to make it work!

Fran@ Broken Cookies Don't Count June 13, 2012 at 7:21 am

I rarely see marked down veggies anymore in supermarkets around here. I go to the produce market so often these days that I rarely look at the veggies in the grocery stores. I should give it a walk through at least, I guess!

Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers June 13, 2012 at 7:45 am

Ha – I’m obsessively anti-waste as well. I get mad that I’m *always* the one throwing the leftover scraps into a veg bowl or lunch at the end of the week. The hubs will eat a leftover cooked meal, but he won’t touch the scrappy stuff – like the leftover 1/3 cup bell pepper, 1/2 sweet potato, or whatever else is hiding behind the beer/milk carton/what-have-ya.

Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean June 13, 2012 at 9:23 am

i have to say, the words slimy mushrooms are not my fav :)

sarah @ sarah learns June 13, 2012 at 9:29 am

mmm, the dill and summer squash combo sounds delicious! for some reason, dill isn’t one of my go-to seasonings. i don’t know why though, i love it! i WILL use dill this week – on something. that is my goal. :)

Jessica June 13, 2012 at 2:20 pm

Your temphe salad looks delicious! I haven’t picked up any temphe for what seems like forever, and seeing that picture totally has me craving it….I need to pick some up, ASAP!

Katie @ Nutrition in a Peanut Shell June 13, 2012 at 2:39 pm

Bahaha, if we have a vegetable that needs to be used up, I always just roast it or throw it in a salad. Veggies are pretty easy to save, as opposed to like, moldy bread.

Sam @ Fit for My Fork June 13, 2012 at 2:52 pm

I don’t like wasting anything either. You’re very creative with your on-the-edge veg – nicely done!

Baking Serendipity June 13, 2012 at 4:08 pm

Love that roasted summer squash! A good deal (and not wasting) always makes me pleased. You rocked at it!

Healthy Living Val June 13, 2012 at 8:50 pm

This post was too funny! I’m a big fan of freezing all sorts of fruits and veggies for later. My freezer looks like a cryopacked produce aisle — until the stock pot comes out. My new tactic for old greens and veggies is to blanch them and put them in the food processor and make some kind of “pesto” for pasta, quinoa, cous cous, whatever.

Brittany @ Delights and Delectables June 13, 2012 at 8:55 pm

I never let anything go to waste either! I have never thought about kiwi in oats… I like it!

Liz @ iheartvegetables June 13, 2012 at 10:21 pm

How much do you LOVE Kroger’s manager’s specials?! Like seriously. That’s the only way I’ve tried Siggi’s yogurt (which is amazing, but like a billion dollars a container.)

Also, you should have been here like an hour ago, when Lindsay and I were eating the chip crumbs ;)

Kailey June 14, 2012 at 1:43 pm

organic mushrooms for only $1!? now that is impressive.
love all of the veggies :D

Sunnie (moderngirlnutrition) June 14, 2012 at 11:34 pm

My favorite thing to do with old produce is make veggie chips!:)

Sarah June 15, 2012 at 10:41 am

How do you make them???

Sunnie(moderngirlnutrition) June 15, 2012 at 12:47 pm

I slice them thin, drizzle with olive oil, salt, pepper, and spices and then bake them at about 350 until they turn crispy, flipping halfway. I have a post on eggplant chips that Im about to write:)