Things That WERE Awesome (In D.C.)

by Sarah on June 22, 2012 · 11 comments

Welcome back for another round of Things That Are Awesome! Although this time, we are celebrating my spontaneous road trip to D.C. and Arlington, and therefore must speak in the past tense.* Hence, this is…

*Why yes, I was an English major!

Thing That WERE Awesome (In D.C.*):

*And Arlington. And the road in between NoVA + Charlottesville. ;)

—————-

Maddy from LOVE GROWN FOODS

Not only was meeting up with her the impetus for my two-day trip, but she continued to be full of LOVE and generosity, the likes of which I first witnessed while in Colorado for BLEND in May.

She gave me lots of encouraging Nutty Butter advice, bought me a yogurt parfait at Yola in Dupont Circle, and surprised me with goodies (including–my nut butter/veg-head crush–Justin’s candy bars and 34 Degrees crisps!).

Maddy [and Love Grown] are more than awesome, really.

——————–

My breakfast.Yes. I travel with chia.

——————————-

Mr. Lincoln

For as long as I can remember, the Lincoln Memorial has been my favorite place in D.C. I’m talking, “eyes welling up with emotion” kind of awesome.

——————–

Meeting up with Jen*

*Of the Crazy Cooking Couple Jen and I were cabinmates at BLEND in May, and I had the incredible joy of seeing her again as we feasted at Cava Mezze, whose hummus I already adored.Granted, I could only eat about 1/3 of the offerings on the dip platter–bumped up to 1/4 after quite a bit of confusion with the waiter, but the Roasted Eggplant Dip was AWESOME.

I was, however, less than impressed at their wilingness to bring me crudite for dipping. I mean, I love me a good cucumber, but I KNOW there had to be something else in the kitchen they could have added at my request.*

*And no, I was not about to pay $7.00 for the honor of dipping asparagus into hummus. (Although that is a great idea. ;) )

I guess the fact that I BYOC(arrot) makes ME awesome?—————–

Farmers’ Markets in the City

I stumbled upon not one, but two, small markets happening on a Wednesday afternoon.Beautiful produce and (I think possibly) better prices than the market here in Charlottesville!I definitely took advantage of THAT. :) ———————-

Cedar’s Zesty Lemon Hummus*

*And the fact that after being told “NO to salad” regarding Wednesday evening’s meal, I managed to get some veggies in there anyway. :) Even if they spell hummus wrong–(in my humble opinion ;) –this stuff is deliciously awesome. I’m definitely going to try to make a lemon hummus again…hopefully with greater success than the last time!

———————–

Even more awesome than yummy hummus?

Sharing hummus—and a plethora of other treats–with your best friends from high school, whom you didn’t tell about your visit. :) [The Vinho Verde from Trader Joe's and a cheeseless-for me--pizza made with TJ's Pizza Dough were also yummily awesome.]

—————

Something awesome about traveling back to Charlottesville?

Passing Wegman’s.

Even thought I showed considerable restraint with my purchases, I did remember that I had some $5.00 off coupons from Driscoll!

BERRY awesome. ;)

——————-

One stop leads to another.

The Living Water Farmers’ Market in Gainesville is awesome.Not only did I stumble upon kabocha

…I found avocados for 79 cents, South Carolina peaches, a giant mango, and even more giant grapefruit.

————–

Even though I might not have loved living there…visiting D.C.?Awesome.

Living, Learning, Eating June 22, 2012 at 6:43 am

DC is such a fun city, I’m glad you had a blast!

Fran@ Broken Cookies Don't Count June 22, 2012 at 6:44 am

Washington is one of my favorite places!! Quite a good haul at the farmer’s markets. I love Wegman’s. There’s one about a 30 minute ride from here. It’s worth it…I could wander in there for hours! ;-)

lindsay June 22, 2012 at 8:02 am

maybe i should move to DC! Just for that farmers market! OH YEA> and yea for love grown and maddy

Maria June 22, 2012 at 9:27 am

Yay! I glad you got to catch up with Jen! I love visiting DC as well, but my desire to live there and deal with the traffic: no thanks!

What’s a Wegmans? It looks like I need to explore one.

Liz @ IHeartVegetables June 22, 2012 at 10:26 am

Oh my gosh! What a fun weekend! And Maddy must be a perfect fit for Love Grown since they’re BOTH awesome!!! :)

I hope your day trip to Richmond can live up to your DC trip ;) haha I can’t wait to see you though!!! We have so much to catch up on!!

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning June 22, 2012 at 12:14 pm

I definitely love living OUTSIDE of DC. There’s a lot of great stuff in the city, but I wouldn’t want to live in the MIDDLE of it. Looks like you truly had an AWESOME time!! There’s a Wegman’s about 5 minutes from my house that opened a year ago. I freaked out when it opened, but I’m kind of over it now. :)

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List June 22, 2012 at 1:31 pm

jealous! I’ve never been to DC. shameful, I know!!

Katie @ Nutrition in a Peanut Shell June 22, 2012 at 2:58 pm

Everything looks like so much fun! I’ve never been to DC and now you make me want to go!

Gabby @ Gabby's Gluten-Free June 22, 2012 at 3:33 pm

It looks like you had such an awesome time! Also, I love that you BYOCarrots – I frequently BYOFood because of the whole gluten-free thing. Love it!

teabagginit June 24, 2012 at 9:37 am

love that you bring your own carrots – i hate it when restaurants freak out over the simplest of requests! i sometimes go to the farmer’s market to pick up fresh berries then bring them to my froyo shop b/c all they have is frozen fruit mush!

Heather @ Better With Veggies June 25, 2012 at 12:17 am

I love that you travel with chia – what a good idea! I’ve been traveling with Fitmixer recently, that as close as I come. :)

Looks like a wonderful imprompt trip. You should take another in late October, because I’ll be there for the marathon!