She Got the Beets!

by Sarah on June 27, 2012 · 27 comments

See Miss Smart, walking down the street

In D.C., some farmers (marketing) she meets

She doesn’t know what she wants to buy

But the prices were so fine…She got the BEETS!She got the beets,

She got the beets,Oh Jenn…she got the beets!

Yes, y’all, I got the $2.00/bunch beets from the FRESHFARM Foggy Bottom Market in D.C. last week, and I have been committing beet-icide regularly ever since.I feel a bit like Doug Funnie following around his favorite band on their international summer tour.While I do LOVE beets roasted, the reason I tend to avoid them is that I hate dealing with peeling them. Of course, I don’t know why I never thought to just get out the vegetable peeler and peel them FIRST.

You still get messy, of course. But you don’t get burnt.So of course, I roasted a couple in cute little beet bundles. And of course, had to test three one of the beet bombs out, immediately.

The other–largest–beet turned into a Roasted Beet + Orange Avocado Sauce which madea Jackson Poll-ike appearance on a shaved yellow zucchini (also from the market) salad of sorts with some shredded kale.The kale was leftover from this Raw Beet + Kale + Carrot Salad with Apple Miso Dressing.Most of that I just ate straight out of the Tup-fauxware I stored it in, but some did come along on my portable salad I made to take over to Alex‘s for our weekly Bachelorette viewing.

Eventually, even the most orange of carrots turns purple in the face of a beet.

Let’s just say I was more excited about the chiplets I sprinkled on top than watching Sean run through the streets of Prague looking for Emily who was busy playing Lonely Goatherd with hipster Jef—with one f.I am an equal opportunity beet-er [beet + eater]. I like ‘em pickled, roasted, and raw. I also like them paired with watermelon.*

*If you click on that link, I apologize for the overruse of the Go-Gos in my post titles.I wish I could say I didn’t eat the remaining Raw Beet + Watermelon Salsa straight from this container. With a fork. For breakfast.

But that would be a beet-faced lie.

Heather Blackmon @ Better With Veggies June 27, 2012 at 12:26 am

Oh beets – I LOVE THEM!! I use surgical gloves when cooking them, some leftovers from my previous job. :) Breakfast is a pretty impressive use of this salad though – a true veggie lover!!

Shelby @ Everyday Vegan Girl June 27, 2012 at 2:40 am

I love all your beet pictures and recipes. They are one of my favorite veggies, plus I love beet greens! Do you like golden beets too?

Shelby @ EverydayVeganGirl June 27, 2012 at 2:43 am

I love all your beet recipes and pictures! Beets are one of my faves, plus I love beet greens. Do you also like golden beets?

Sarah July 3, 2012 at 11:48 pm

Oh yes, I LOVE golden beets…but they are hard to find around here for some reason. When I see them on a menu I always want to order that dish!

Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers June 27, 2012 at 5:43 am

I’ve only tried to cook beets once. I roasted them in little foil packets and then slipped them out of their skins. They were pretty good, but I wasn’t all that impressed. I served them as a side, but I think they’d be better cooked in with something else.

Fran@ Broken Cookies Don't Count June 27, 2012 at 7:07 am

Great idea to peel them first, Sarah! I rarely see beets at my produce market. Need to find a real farmers market around here!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table June 27, 2012 at 7:47 am

I just bought a ton of beets. They are so delicious right now. I love them in a pesto over zucchini noodles and I NEED to try that beet-watermelon salsa!

Sarah June 27, 2012 at 12:57 pm

Yes. Yes, you do. Stay tuned for the recipe… :)

Tricia @ Saving room for dessert June 27, 2012 at 8:54 am

So funny – thanks for my morning smile! Love beets and the Go-Gos!

Lindsay @ Conscious Cravings June 27, 2012 at 10:23 am

I love the Doug reference. Totally one of my favorite shows when I younger, and I love that they play it on TV late at night now. I’ve actually just started eating beets as of recently. I had them at the Barley Swine with beef tongue the other day and it was delicious. That salsa looks amazing though and I definitely need to try it since watermelon is so good right now.

Sarah June 27, 2012 at 12:57 pm

I should have that recipe up early next week!

Katie @ Nutrition in a Peanut Shell June 27, 2012 at 12:35 pm

Okay, I’m definitely going to go check out all your beet recipes because I tried roasting them and I think they taste like dirt :c

Sarah June 27, 2012 at 12:56 pm

There will be a plethora of recipes to come next week! I think instead of “Beach Week,” I’ll be having “Beet Week.” ;)

sarah @ sarah learns June 27, 2012 at 12:42 pm

i love beets too! my grandma makes the BEST pickled beets. mmm. i might have to go raid her pantry for another jar or two next time i visit.

Maria June 27, 2012 at 12:53 pm

I’m trying to figure out the rhythm of this song…when I first read the title, I thought it was to “Who Got the Hooch” (which reminds me of UVa because I first heard that song there at a football game. I was not wearing a sundress and looked totally lame).

Sorry for another ridiculous comment.

Sarah June 27, 2012 at 12:56 pm

It’s “We Got the Beat” by The GoGos. Google it. :)

Lexi @ You, Me, & A World to See June 27, 2012 at 1:10 pm

haha I’ve definitely dealt with pink hands thanks to beets ;)

StoriesAndSweetPotatoes June 27, 2012 at 2:05 pm

I am so afraid to try beets. I need to get over it.

Sarah June 27, 2012 at 10:27 pm

You can do it. :)

Sunnie(moderngirlnutrition) June 27, 2012 at 2:23 pm

Beets are so delicious! I love beet soup too:) can’t wait to try them roasted!

Sarah June 27, 2012 at 10:26 pm

If I hadn’t had so much fun “testing” the roasted ones, I was planning on making a vegan borscht! [I guess I'll have to just get more...]

Meghan @ After the Ivy League June 27, 2012 at 3:41 pm

Currently sitting in my office, cracking up at all your beet puns. And loving the Doug Funny reference!

Sarah June 27, 2012 at 10:26 pm

Glad I was able to bring a chuckle to your day. :)

Cait @ Beyond Bananas June 27, 2012 at 7:37 pm

Love the Doug Funnie Reference! Miss that show.

Is it sad that I’ve never bought a beet before? I honestly don’t even know where to start with one!

Sarah June 27, 2012 at 10:27 pm

Stay tuned for recipes next week. Maybe I can help you get going? :)

Brittany @ Delights and Delectables June 27, 2012 at 8:50 pm

OH my gosh… I HEART beets! I need some… like now.

Calee (@chimes) June 29, 2012 at 12:00 pm

beets are the best thing ever. period.