Hamburger Hummus

by Sarah on June 11, 2012 · 11 comments

When I received the e-mail from my friend Nathan that his birthday party was going to themed “HOP ‘Dip’pity Dog”–hops for beer, dip for…dip, and dog for brats on the grill–I knew that it was finally time to experiment with a crazy concoction I’d been mulling over for months now…

What else to take but Hamburger Hummus?*

*Hot Dog Hummus, obviously. ’Hamburger’ just rolls off the tongue so much better…You might recall in February when I fell victim to the allure of Beaver Brand Coney Island (Hot Dog) Mustard, which I determined tasted exactly like a McDonald’s hamburger…without the meat. Although I loved the bizarre nature of this “burger in a bottle” I did not love* that it had a bunch of random stuff in it like HFCS and egg whites.(Not that there is anything wrong with egg whites. It just seems unneccessary.)

*I also did not love that I only ate about 1/3 of this bottle, and when I went to move it to my new house discovered that my roommate had secretly eaten it all.Ever since I’d tasted this mustard, I’d wondered, “What will be my next recipe that will REALLY freak people out?” “Could I recreate this in a more nutritionally valuable way?”

The answer, of course, rested with the almighty chickpea.And the consortium of condiments that grace most fast food chain burgers.

Please note that we accept condiments of all classes in The Smart Kitchen.

Into the processor goes a combination of the topping triumverate shown above, plus lemon juice, onion, a wee bit of garlic, and the smoked paprika and tahini which I really think round out the flavor and give it a savory balance to what could be a salty, acidic mess otherwise.

Yes, Liz, I can turn anything into hummus!

I used water to thin it out, but you could use chickpea liquid or some oil...

I have a vision of this being served in a hollowed out sesame seed hamburger bun, but if you are bunless–and hence, not a ballerina or pregnant?–I think sesame sticks will work just fine.In fact, this might be the one time I actually recommend you skip the veggies and utilize the stick…(or the chip…or FRENCH FRIES!).

I mean, when was the last time you saw a celery stalk in a Happy Meal?*

*Although I’d jump for joy if that happened….

Hamburger Hummus

• 1 15-oz. can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
  • 1/4 cup sliced green onions
  • 3 Tbsp. ketchup
  • 3 Tbsp. dill relish
  • 1 1/2 Tbsp. yellow mustard
  • 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 1/2 Tbsp. tahini
  • 1/4 tsp. smoked paprika
  • juice of half a lemon

Combine all ingredients in a food processor. Process well. Add water a few tablespoons at a time, processing in between additions, until hummus reaches the consistency you so desire!

Heather @ Better With Veggies June 11, 2012 at 8:56 am

This looks awesome!! If I had any food in my kitchen I’d be making this right now, but I might get to the grocery store at some point and could whip this up for sure! :)

Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers June 11, 2012 at 9:21 am

Sounds yummy to me – then again, I’d probably eat it with fried pickles or something totally unhealthy like that. Oh well, at least it’d be tasty!

Liz @ IHeartVegetables June 11, 2012 at 9:38 am

Hahaha you are too funny. I loved the hamburger hummus!!! And I ALSO loved seeing you yesterday! I can’t wait for another blogger adventure :) (Hopefully you can come to the one next week! I sent you an e-mail last night. Woohoo!)

Katie @ Nutrition in a Peanut Shell June 11, 2012 at 11:33 am

Out of all the crazy things you’ve made, this one surprises me the least! Maybe because I think I’ve seen hamburger salsa or something of the sort? I think it was something called carnival salsa.
I truly believe you can make anything into hummus.

Brittany June 11, 2012 at 12:16 pm

Loveddd this recipe! Def one of my favorites from yesterday! Long lost are the days of “condiment sandwiches” for my next cookout I am going to bring this so my veg friends can have a high protein spread and top their buns w/ veggies- I know so thoughtful ;)

p.s where can i buy your nutty butter?? I am dying to try literally every single one!

Brittany June 11, 2012 at 12:20 pm

Never mind, I am a loon, just went to the “nutty butter” section as it were and found your directions. Emailing you for a sampler pack!

Sarah June 11, 2012 at 3:29 pm

It was SO great to meet you yesterday! Send me your info and I will happily send you some Nutty Butter. (Or come visit Charlottesville and I will hand deliver it to you!) :)

Adrienne J June 11, 2012 at 1:39 pm

This hummus was so good yesterday!! I’m getting tired of the regular flavors at the store so I might just have to make this one!

Fran@ Broken Cookies Don't Count June 11, 2012 at 1:55 pm

Again with the Hummus! You’re incredible with your ideas, Sarah!!

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning June 13, 2012 at 9:55 pm

I LOVE this idea!! You are so gosh darn creative. And I think people would probably flip out if I brought this to a party. I’m going to a potluck next weekend with some healthy foodie friends- this might be the side dish I end up taking! ;)

Diana @ VeggieNextDoor June 23, 2012 at 1:46 am

I seriously think you belong in a foodie think-tank. Your genius never ceases to amaze me. I want to make this for my boyfriend :-)