Biscoff + Butterscotch Puppy Chow

by Sarah on June 21, 2012 · 19 comments

To quote my friend Liz, with whom I am currently staying in D.C., I “have willpower for days.”

Except when it comes to ice cream.*

*Or sorbet…or sherbet….or custard…or frozen yogurt…or coconut milk ice cream…or water ice…or gelato…

Nut(ty) Butter.And Puppy Chow.*

*This is not called Muddy Buddies, White Trash, or anything else. I don’t care what you believe. It’s Puppy Chow.So, I knew I was in for it as soon as I stumbled upon this secret stash of Biscoff samples on my nut butter shelf while moving a couple of weeks ago……and all I could think was, “Wouldn’t that be fun to turn into Puppy Chow?”*

*Always a sign that you are headed down a path towards the Heartbreak Stomachache HotelWhen it comes to the cereal base, well, that was a no brainer. After years of highly scientific testing in college, my friend Molly and I discovered that Rice Chex (or their generic equivalent) are the best.Obviously, I wanted to use the Biscoff. But what chocolate base in which to melt the cookie butter to help it adhere and solidify to the cereal in a lovely candy-like coating?

Not chocolate at all, it turns out.(But) Butterscotch.It seemed like a great idea.And it was.

After all, Biscoff is sort of gingerbread [slash] graham cracker-y, and that sounds like a perfect match for butterscotch to me.

Also, Biscoff + Butterscotch (naturally) = BIT@! Chow.Which is fun.[Especially because this chow ain't for babies, but grown [female] pups. ;) ]And you can bet THIS grown female got her paws hands dirty making it.*

*And ate every last morsel that got stuck or ended up on the counter.Since we’re moving beyond the ordinary…let’s go ahead and add some cinnamon to our ’sugah’ why don’t we?

And then it’s time to wag your tail around the kitchen.Oh dear.This was definitely going to be a problem.The only solution?Pack it up……and let those dogs OUT.*

*I hope my Foodie Pen Pal has stronger willpower than I when it comes to this stuff….

As for the Biscoff remnants and the ‘chow’ that didn’t fit in the package, well–I sat, rolled over, AND played dead.I think I deserved a treat.

—————-

Biscoff + Butterscotch Puppy Chow

• 13 cups (1 box) Rice Chex [or generic equivalent]
  • 1 cup Biscoff or Speculoos spread
  • 1 package butterscotch baking chips
  • 2 cups powdered sugar
  • 1-2 Tbsp. ground cinnamon
  1. Pour cereal into a very large mixing bowl. Set aside.
  2. In a microwave-safe bowl, melt butterscotch chips by cooking for 1 minute, stirring, and then cooking in 10 second increments until chips fully melt when stirred.
  3. Add Biscoff to melted butterscotch and stir well.
  4. Pour Bis-cotch mixture onto cereal and stir well to coat. [I find your hands work the best, here!]
  5. In a large, plastic container with lid (or large zip-top bags), combine coated cereal, powdered sugar, and cinnamon.
  6. Shake until cereal is fully coated.
  7. Indulge!

Maria June 21, 2012 at 1:08 am

I’ve always called it puppy chow too. White trash sounds so offensive.

This recipe has me thinking…no bake cookies with Biscoff? Do you call them no bake cookies or preacher cookies?

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli June 21, 2012 at 5:42 am

Oh my gosh, that’s a GREAT idea! Of course, as oxymoronic as it sounds, I always end up burning my no-bake cookies! Lol

Sarah June 21, 2012 at 7:28 am

I only know them as preacher cookies because of YOU. ;)

Trisha June 21, 2012 at 1:58 am

Wait…Biscoff, as in the delicious little airplane cookies, comes in smooth, buttery form?! Why have I never heard of this until now & how can I get my hands on some?!
You are absolutely correct, it is called Puppy Chow and nothing else. But I adore the idea of Bitch Chow & I’m literally drooling over this idea. Pure awesomeness.

Sarah June 21, 2012 at 7:30 am

Yes! Biscoff makes a spread…it’s essentially ground up cookies with extra oil, I think, so no protein or anything…but man it is delicious. I tasted the Biscoff crunchy–that has cookie chunks in it–and it was AMAZING. Trader Joe’s makes a similar product called Cookie Butter. You can also find “speculoos” (which is the culinary term for what it is) at some Whole Foods. [World Market usually has Biscoff. I've even found it at Wal-Mart now, since it is becoming so popular.]

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli June 21, 2012 at 5:35 am

1. You’re creativity in the kitchen CEASES to amaze me!
2. It has always and will always be puppy chow in my mind.
3. Love, love, LOVE the way you wrote this…definitely for grown up pups indeed! ;)
4. You’re a genius.
5. That is all.
5 1/2. Oh, and I love you!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table June 21, 2012 at 7:33 am

Ditto what she said. With extra love and admiration on top. XO

Kristen @ notsodomesticated June 21, 2012 at 6:52 am

Oh wow. That stuff would be a goner at my house!! You were smart to send most of it away to someone else!! ;)

Heather Blackmon @ Better With Veggies June 21, 2012 at 6:55 am

I haven’t had puppy chow in ages – what a great idea to use the Biscoff spread in your mix. Delicious! :)

Fran@ Broken Cookies Don't Count June 21, 2012 at 7:21 am

I want to know where you got all of those Biscoff tiny tins?!? I might be able to control it if it came in that size. The puppy chow Does sound delicious!

Liz @ iheartvegetables June 21, 2012 at 8:08 am

OH MY GOSH.

I mean, I KNEW you were a genius. But seriously. I want to lick my screen right now. Puppy chow is my favorite, and that biscoff spread, well, there’s room for that too!!!

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat June 21, 2012 at 9:51 am

I agree 100% – it’s DEFINITELY puppy chow! Have you ever made it with Cheerios? Gets nice and clumpy! :)

Sarah June 21, 2012 at 6:01 pm

No, but now I’m getting ideas….

teabagginit June 21, 2012 at 11:38 am

i did the same with with my tj’s cookie butter back in the x-mas holidays! :) love it! now i might re-create it with some butterscotch chips! thanks for the great idea! …oh my … or apple cinnamon chex and apple pie nutty butter!

Leila @ Spinach and Skittles June 21, 2012 at 12:43 pm

Damn, I wish I was your foodie pen pal :)

Katie @ Nutrition in a Peanut Shell June 21, 2012 at 12:50 pm

Hm, I’ve always known it as puppy chow because I thought the whole “White trash” dessert involved saltines as opposed to chex mix? I could be getting confused though

Sarah June 21, 2012 at 6:01 pm

“White Trash” to me is white chocolate covered cheerios, pretzels, M&Ms…all mixed together. It is DELICIOUS, obviously. There is also something I’ve seen referred to as “white trash toffee” which is made with saltines?

Diana @ VeggieNextDoor June 23, 2012 at 1:42 am

Not only do I love your creativity and ingenuity in this recipe… your puppy puns are hilarious too!

Tt in nyc June 23, 2012 at 10:32 pm

You solved my ” bring something for dessert, but not watermelon” problem for the bbq i’m going to sunday night! I already have the cookie butter (surprising i didnt polish it off yet) and its waaaaayyyy too hot to bake anything! The name is just awesome.