What I (Drank) Wednesday

by Sarah on May 23, 2012 · 19 comments

I know I said on Monday that I prefer to eat my calories, rather than drink them, causing me to do things like use my Cheribundi cherry juice to bake Chia Cherry Chocolate Pumpkin Doughnuffins or cook into a bowl of oatmeal topped with kiwi and two types of granola.

But I did drink some of it, too. I swear.

Although I’ve pretty much  given up all diet soda–pretty much–and mostly just drink coffee (in the morning), tea (at night), water (throughout the day), and kombucha (when it’s on sale), there are times when that is simply not the case.

So, my dear ones, this edition of What I Ate Drank Wednesday focuses on the bevy of beverages I have been consuming of late. [And yes, Jenn, some of it is alcohol.]When I tried to ween myself off of soda long, long, ago, I needed to find something to replace the carbonaddication I had for the bubbly in my tummy that I loved so much. Thus began a downward spiral into flavored sparkling water addiction, that I nearly fell back into after consuming this deliciously summery Pineapple Coconut variety I stumbled upon at Wal-Mart.I was strong. I held my ground. I did not return the next day to purchase a dozen more. [I thought about it though.]

What I have become VERY  slightly obsessed with?

Fitmixer liquid aminos–the favorite fuel of Blend Retreat attendees and Boot Camp participants everywhere–oh, how I crave you. Oh, how you mysteriously are able to give me crazy amounts of energy and keep me satiated. I might even turn into a runner.For now I will continue to drink you pre-workout and, well, perhaps bring you along for chips celery and salsa at Rachel‘s house. Not weird at all…Since we’ve turned water into a (healthier) Hawaiian (protein) Punch, let’s turn it into wine, shall we?

It’s hard to avoid when you’ve got a little thing called “book club” to go to–nevermind that there wasn’t even a book assigned this month–

–or graduation parties to attend. [And when it's named for me...how could I not?]Of course, sometimes you need to celebrate advanced degree completion with a more ‘advanced’ drink, like the Chili-Inflused Blackberry Lemonade–spiked with tequila–I begrudgingly* loved at Zocalo.

*My inner grandma said, “Don’t do it…” but I did. And I made it home by 10. What now?Aside from a few more adult drinks, I’ve also had the privilege of sampling a number of bottles of Oogave naturally-sweetened sodas.I was so excited to recieve a case of all of their flavors a few months back, and have been slowly making my way through them all.[I may or may not have been even MORE excited about the stickers and T-shirt they sent. :) ]Unlike some other naturally sweetened sodas, Oogave is REALLY smooth and doesn’t have any weird after-taste. In fact, I’m kind of in love. And while I have a soft spot in my stomach for the Mandarin Key Lime and Grapefruit varieties……the Ginger Ale is undoubtedly the most delicious. [Sadly, there was only one in the box...]

Thanks Oogave for sending me the (kid-friendly) bubbly. And thank y’all for reading a post full of [O-Town's?] liquid dreams.

I would like you to know that although I drank a lot of things, I did NOT drink the pickle juice.

Yet.

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table May 23, 2012 at 1:02 am

hahaha! i was sooooo hoping this would involve booze and you delivered! :)

just make sure you don’t end up in a van by the river smoking doobies.

Sarah May 23, 2012 at 10:08 pm

If I do, I’ll make sure to invite you. :)

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table May 23, 2012 at 10:32 pm

I’d be offended if you didn’t!

Jen May 23, 2012 at 6:17 am

That is so cool how your make the WIAW little thing your own. Very good drinks :) The pineapple coconut water looks awesome!! Very summery!

Hannah@mindrunningwild May 23, 2012 at 7:05 am

Kombucha on sale? My lands, does it happen!? I don’t do diet soda because I”m super paranoid about fake sugars. *sigh* gotta get reading my research (I’ve got a good journal article lined up to teach me some things) I’m a fizzy water drinker indeed and have also been known to use celery as a dip chip. Or just skip the dipper and eat the salsa on its own. no shame, that stuff is GOOD. Have you tried green mountain gringo? best salsa hands down.

Sarah May 23, 2012 at 10:08 pm

I finally tried the Green Mountain Gringo a few weeks ago at a steeplechase tailgate. It was quite tasty. :)

Fran@ Broken Cookies Don't Count May 23, 2012 at 7:51 am

Pickle juice is delicious! ;-) I keep meaning to check out the Fitmixers.

Tricia @ Saving room for dessert May 23, 2012 at 8:20 am

Cute post! You know my traveling husband drinks pickle juice. There are always a few jars of ‘just juice’ in the fridge. Must run in the family!!!

Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean May 23, 2012 at 8:27 am

the pink oogave i had at blend was delish. can’t remember what kind though!

Michelle {lively kitchen} May 23, 2012 at 10:12 am

I’ve never tried the oogave – I think I’d love the ginger one too. I saw a pinterest pin that had a quote to the extent of ‘my book club only reads wine labels.’ Mine alternates between wine labels and books. :)

Heather @ Better With Veggies May 23, 2012 at 11:12 am

Look at all those adult beverages on your post today – I must have rubbed off (just a little?)! ;) I would really love to try that Chili-Inflused Blackberry Lemonade, sounds fantastic!!

Carla May 23, 2012 at 11:40 am

Wait, you mean I’m not the only one who drinks pickle juice out of the jar??

Katie @ Nutrition in a Peanut Shell May 23, 2012 at 4:38 pm

I absolutely ADORE that wal-mart soda. The Pom Blueberry Aci and Raspberry Apple are equally as delicious.

Because fruit is in the respective names, I pretend they’re good for me :)

Tayla @ She'll Be Free May 23, 2012 at 5:08 pm

Okay so I LOVE that sparkling water! I used to drink sooooo much but it messes with my stomach now..so sad. Also I really am interested in that natural soda…I’ve never heard of that before! Must check it out soon<3

Healthy Living Val May 23, 2012 at 6:01 pm

Nothing wrong with a “pickle back” now and then — everything in moderation!

Jenn L @ Peas and Crayons May 23, 2012 at 8:15 pm

How have I never heard of OOgave!? the bottles are so freaking cute! I want one to put flowers in =) Though I guess the drinking part would be fun as well!

Tt in nyc May 23, 2012 at 11:21 pm

I am betraying the secret ingredient to my quasi-famous (infamous???) bloody mary here, but…. Keep the pickle juice. You will need it around brunch time this weekend…;).
Or if you want to cheat with “homemade” pickles heat the pickle juice to a simmer and pour back into a jar with thin sliced cucumbers/rashish/carrots/whatever, cool to room temp and eat the next day and then within about two weeks, they dont keep forever

teabagginit May 24, 2012 at 7:45 pm

i love carbonated drinks, too – although i don’t have the self-control to abstain … and i will be hunting down that pineapple coconut water!

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli May 26, 2012 at 8:29 am

I’m the same way when it comes to drinking my calories…except when it comes to wine. I’m of the mindset that anything in a wine glass is void of all calories…like the 2 1/2 glass of red I had last night! ;) Maybe I should join a book club!

I still have all my Cheribundi bottles from Blend and I’ve been meaning to try them in a smoothie, but I never thought about mixing them into oats! Genius!

I’m not a big fan of sodas but I think I’ll always have the childhood fondness of any ginger ale and cream soda (I totally would pretend I was an adult drinking a beer and being cool! Lol)

I spy Newman’s salsa! Love using celery as a dipper!