What I Ate (Instead) Wednesday: OCNJ

by Sarah on May 30, 2012 · 13 comments

A trip to the boardwalk offers endless temptations.*

*Even though it was The Drifters who sang about the non-food-related ones.And even though some things look good enough to devour (even through a camera lens)…

…I’m usually pretty strong when it comes to avoiding the call of the carnival food.*

*Mostly because I know how painful it will be later…Sometimes I get a little high and mighty, scoffing at signs like this:Until, of course, I remember that the night before I had been seduced by not-too-sweet cinnamon sugared sweet potato fries.But for the most part, while at the beach in Ocean City, NJ, last weekend, I found myself playing a game of “What will I eat instead?” How did it turn out, Jenn (and the rest of you lovely guests at this What I Ate Wednesday party)? Well, I’ll show you…It started with my beautifully packed Chobani lunchbox, full of snacks and goodies for the six-hour drive.*

*Don’t worry. There was a return trip during which to consume these edibles. [Although I'm pretty sure I killed the bacteria in that kombucha letting it get a wee bit warm...]What I ate instead was the pre-made oat-flax-oat bran, cooked the night before and mixed with applesauce, pumpkin, and apple pie spice.It was so voluminous, I had to bring not one jar…but two.Upon arrival at the beach house, I found myself headed to 3 Brothers Pizza with the fam.But instead of consuming a Papa Smart-approved slice of sausage and mushroom pizza as big as my head……I ate the crust (with as much sauce as we could salvage) sans cheese, shared with me by Sister-in-Law Smart.Sister-in-Law Smart was in for a sweeter treat that weekend, when we introduced her to the concept of self-serve frozen yogurt.But–although I was incredibly tempted by the sight of Good Humor Strawberry Shortcake sprinklesinstead of eating that(with a side of Lactaid of course)……I whipped out a Rita’s Water Ice gift card I’ve probably had for four years with rare opportunities to use it.Do not be fooled. Instead of watermelon, this is actually Peanut Butter & Jelly mixed with Green Apple water ice.After I had felt the tummy rumblings post-vegan diversion into the (yes, glorious) land of seafood the night before, I did not dip any shrimp into the cocktail sauce.

Instead, I dipped in every vegetable I could find.

The smell of bratwurst from the grill was another temptation I nearly couldn’t resist.*

*Although brats don’t cause me near the salivation as pulled pork BBQ.Instead, Papa Smart grilled me a Morningstar Farms Spicy Black Bean Burger, which I topped with Mrs. Renfro’s Pomegranate Salsa.

You might be wondering what I ate instead of the homemade, definitely not lactose free, homemade Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup ice cream the machine I made.

Except there’s no substitute for that.*

*I do, however, apologize to Brother Smart for having to witness my inability to exert self control once ice cream hits my lips…and to the person running behind me on the boardwalk the following morning.

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More May 30, 2012 at 1:12 am

I am glad you did not choose something instead of the homemade ice cream – I think we’d all deal with the aftermath for some homemade ice cream! ;)

Hannah@mindrunningwild May 30, 2012 at 7:04 am

I love it when oats overflow into two jars. It just like getting a twofer of christmas presents. In oat form.
fried vegetables? aha. Well, sometimes…things just don’t make sense. I much prefer them fresh. I’m glad you didn’t sub for that ice cream. There is nothing like homemade ice cream. at all.
So are you vegan now? Or….more veganish? veggies dipped in anything would win me over over shrimp anytime. Not only because shrimp freaks me out, and I don’t eat it, but just veggies are yum in dips.

Fran@ Broken Cookies Don't Count May 30, 2012 at 7:20 am

I keep thinking about getting an ice cream maker…I may succumb soon!!

Kristen @ notsodomesticated May 30, 2012 at 7:39 am

There definitely isn’t a substitute for homemade ice cream. Wise choice. ;)

Tricia @ Saving room for dessert May 30, 2012 at 8:25 am

You know I need that ice cream recipes :0 At your earliest possible convenience ha ha. I love that photo of you!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table May 30, 2012 at 9:12 am

I love your insteads! I think I might have preferred them in some instances. :) Reese’s ice cream? *swoon*

Casey May 30, 2012 at 9:49 am

I am super jealous of these vaca eats.. I’m from Cape May, about 25 miles south of Ocean City.. the terrible things I’m willing to do for a slice of real boardwalk pizza is almost shameful.

Kati Mora, MS, RD, Kellogg's FiberPlus(R) Wellness Advocate May 30, 2012 at 11:43 am

I love the idea of having a cute little travel box loaded with your favorite healthy snacks for any trip, near or far. What a fun way to keep your healthy eating goals in check no matter where you are.

Maria May 30, 2012 at 3:41 pm

I have not had Rita’s in so long! I was mad over their cherry flavored ice back in the day!

We all know that the best part of the pizza is the crust and the sauce…that’s why breadsticks are almost always my preference over a slice of pizza. Though normally, I’ll just have both. My thighs will attest to that.

teabagginit May 30, 2012 at 4:02 pm

my ex used to order pizza and give me all the crusts! that was the only good thing about him! :)

Healthy Living Val May 30, 2012 at 4:15 pm

Wow, way to stay strong! Boardwalk eats are super tough to deny oneself but you came up with some good alternatives. And homemade ice cream? Nicely done! By hand or with a machine?

Diana @ VeggieNextDoor May 30, 2012 at 11:03 pm

I LOVE voluminous meals! In fact, I recently ordered a larger size of glass container from Amazon and am eagerly anticipating it’s arrival :-) I don’t currently have any jars big enough for salad beasts!

Christy May 31, 2012 at 12:04 am

love the jersey shore! I am all over during the summer (wildwood, LBI, belmar, atlantic city) I think the homemade ice cream wins! Yum!!