Vegan BBQ Plate

by Sarah on May 17, 2012 · 13 comments

Even on a vegan BBQ plate, the only thing that needs to be green are the pickles.And what delectably sour pickles they are.

[No wonder the mysterious food thief in my home ate twelve of them, leaving me the shock and surprise of opening the jar to discover only five of the original eighteen (according to the label) remaining. I had eaten one. But enough about that...]Now, I don’t care what y’all say. There is no vegan substitute for BBQ. I might not eat it now, but I know my meat. And I know that it is simply not possible to use beans, grain, or vegetables to perfectly recreate the taste, texture, and smell of the Carolina-style pulled pork that still stirs up carnivorous cravings within me.

But I will try. I will so valiantly try.

I knew this was a faled experiment from the start, but when you have an excess of tempeh on your hands, you might as well mess around a bit.

But slicing it as thin as you can does not stringy meat make.Neither does Mesquite BBQ Seasoning. [Although that does make it taste quite good.]

And when I pulled out the mushrooms and onions, well, southerners countrywide kind of cringed a little at the thought of me adding vegetables that weren’t shredded into slaw to my “BBQ.”But, you know, there’s a lot that can be saved with a good sauce.And I’d be lying if I said that 90% of the reason I love BBQ is it is a means to eat BBQ sauce.

Oh, Annie, you DO have a good (vegan) thing going on here...

[The remaining 10% is divided equally between my love for pulled pork and my loyalty to the Southland where I was wasn't really raised.]While it was certainly no pig, and certainly nowhere near authentic, it was still pretty darn tasty. [Despite my negligence at cracking open a can of Busch's Vegetarian Baked Beans to add to the feast.]And for those of you who are thinking, “The only thing green I usually see on my BBQ plate is the slightly green tint of some cabbage slaw,” well, we’ll talk about this tomorrow:

—————

What does ‘BBQ’ mean to you?

Have you ever successfully made a veg or vegan interpretation?

Kristen @ notsodomesticated May 17, 2012 at 7:00 am

Haha I so love your honesty. I am someone who is trying to eat MORE vegan and vegetarian, but I still sometimes eat meat. So I had TRUE BBQ in Nashville a few weeks ago … and nothing will compare to that. But I also agree that half the reason why I eat BBQ is for the sauce. ;)

Fran@ Broken Cookies Don't Count May 17, 2012 at 7:14 am

I was in North Carolina some years ago at a place called, I think, “The Pigman.” They had tuna bbq. I was eating fish back then and I thought it was quite tasty. But as you say, Sarah, it’s really all about the Sauce! I love putting BBQ sauce on the Morningstar Farm Chick’n grillers (when I can find them.) So Good!

j3nn May 17, 2012 at 7:53 am

Oooh, tempeh and mushrooms… GREAT idea for BBQ plant pull :)

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table May 17, 2012 at 8:35 am

Don’t worry – I ate enough BBQ for both of us at the festival last weekend!

You should check out my jackfruit BBQ recipe – that stuff gets really nice and stringy!

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat May 17, 2012 at 8:49 am

I love BBQ sauce and really miss pulled pork as a vegetarian! Lentil sloppy joes usually satisfy my craving!

Calee (@chimes) May 17, 2012 at 9:16 am

Those pickles look to DIE for.

I don’t know if I could do the ‘shrooms (love mushrooms too). I think a good BBQ is definitely stringy like pulled pork. I wonder if you could do a squash? Or would that be too stringy? But the onions were a great idea.

Another thought … pineapple. I don’t know why. But you could go a little Polynesian with it … sweet and spicy.

Barbecue to me is SPICY. I don’t like the sickeningly sweet BBQ sauces. I like spicy. I should send you some of our local stuff that’s super crazy spicy. Get Lindsay to rig her FPPs next month. ;) I sent some to mine last month.

Also — I once made a really great vegetarian lasagne with a bunch of random veggies I’d gotten from the farmer’s market. But that was a long time ago before I wrote down what I put in things. So that’s long gone.

Have a fabulous day! :)

Anna @ On Anna's Plate May 17, 2012 at 9:52 am

Haha…yeah, tempeh bbq would probably be blasphemy for most southerners– but THIS southerner thinks it looks awesome!! :-)

Maria May 17, 2012 at 10:57 am

I use Annie’s BBQ sauce, too! Most of the traditional sauces are full of HFCS and Annie’s is almost as good as Sweet Baby Ray’s.

I enjoy pulled chicken BBQ over my once beloved pulled pork, though honestly, I like anything with BBQ sauce on it.

Brittany May 17, 2012 at 3:49 pm

Your vegan BBQ looks amazing. I jus blogged about vegan potato salad that was amazing. I say we have a vegan only BBQ just to show how good it can be!

Katie @ Nutrition in a Peanut Shell May 17, 2012 at 4:32 pm

I don’t even live with you and I kind of hate your room mate, from what I’ve seen of your posts of Facebook and now to eating all of your pickles {I would flip out.}

BBQ to me is actually…chicken drumsticks! My family never did the pulled pork thing. Oh and of course potato salad and corn.
And brownies.
Now I need a barbeque!

Alex@Spoonful of Sugar Free May 18, 2012 at 7:30 am

Honestly, I really don’t care what is underneath the sauce…ok, well, don’t put pork bran underneath there, but what I’m sayin’ is-I like bbq sauce!

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning May 18, 2012 at 12:03 pm

Yum! I bought a bottle of the Smoky Maple flavor of Annie’s BBQ sauce and am going to make some bbq baked tofu with it.
But I’ll be honest- I’d take pulled pork or chicken over any other type of bbq any day!

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli May 26, 2012 at 8:56 am

Haha! I was JUST saying to myself “all she’s missing is the baked beans!”…with a vegetarian variety, that plate would be enough to cause a riot in most southern states! Lol

Love, love, LOVE me some good pulled pork BBQ…nothing better! I’ve never tried a vegan/vegetarian recipe, but I DID just buy some tempeh at Trader Joe’s last weekend so I might have to give this a try!