Foodie Turned Fit

by Sarah on May 10, 2012 · 22 comments

When I showed up at Blend, I spent a lot of time during the Friday night welcome party proclaiming that I was a food blogger, not a fitness one. The idea of participating in a boot camp was daunting, and, although I was excited at the prospect of a hike on Saturday and the opportunity to finally try yoga, I envisioned myself languising behind the much more fitness-focused bloggers in their cute, matching workout gear.

(They really are cute, aren't they?)

But, guess what, y’all?

I used my all-purpose hiking [slash] running shoes for more than just stuffing swag into to save space packing on the way home.The Saturday morning Boot Camp led by Lindsay and Tina (sponsored by fimixer) kicked my butt, but in a good way. I couldn’t believe I was running (!) in mountain air (!) and I was at the front of the pack (!) keeping up (!)I thought I wasn’t a “group fitness girl,” but being in a large group of women whom I instinctively trusted brough out a mini warrior in me. I wasn’t afraid to look like an idiot should my form be slightly off or I wasn’t able to eke out the last few reps.  I might not have had the highest number of reps in any of our challenges, but I was SO proud of myself for keeping relative pace with the super-fit foodies around me!Maybe it was the (highly addictive) fitmixer aminos that I started Saturday’s boot camp with…

Fitmixer: like a sweet (healthy) Hawaiian (protein) Punch...

…but once I got going I just couldn’t stop! Riding on a high of personal physical accomplishment, I lathered up on sunscreen and joined the pack for a hike up a mountain.This was no ordinary hike. The ladies had warned us it would be pretty strenuous…but oh my goll, y’all, you have no idea.It was straight up or straight down that mountain, meaning on the way up we were climbing a rail-less staircase, and on the way down we were walking down a playground slide. (OK, maybe not THAT extreme…as there were rocks to grip on to. :) )

Thank you, Janetha, for proof of my hiking. :)

There were moments where I thought about turning back, when I was so out of breath I didn’t know if I’d make it. But like Jamie Foxx + T-Pain, I chose to blame it on the alcohol altitude.I had entered into competition with myself–”Can you do it, Sarah? Can you keep up?”–and so I kept on posing pushing.And against all of my beliefs and odds, I made it to the top! (Perhaps those hours working the “Hill Climb” setting on the elliptical helped?)Thank goll for my dear friend, Maria, without whom I’m sure I would never have pushed on. Together we walked up, and together we crawled walked down…slow and steady and never giving up. :) We did, however, get a bit lost on the way back…but it was a blessing in disguise because I stumbled upon this:And if you think that finding this toilet wasn’t one of the greatest moments of the day, well, I mean, you obviously haven’t met my bladder. [And did I squeal through the window while Maria stood outside? Yes. Yes, I did.]If you think the fitness fun ended there…well…you’d be wrong. Despite my physical exhaustion, I had been looking forward to using Blend as a “safe space’ in which to try yoga for the first time…and gosh darn it, I was getting to yoga.I kid you not, I’m pretty sure it was the fitmixer aminos–a second bottle of which I stole from the morning’s boot camp and polished off on the hike–that fueled me through the day. I was never famished, just tired in a “it feels great to use my body like this” way. [And you know that if this perma-lliptical darling can get into aminos, they've got to be good.]Whatever it was, I made it through my very first yoga class…and I was exhilarated! I am now on the hunt for a Vinyasa Flow class in town and cannot get over the feeling of joy from stretching and balancing and proving to myself that yes, yes I CAN do this.*

*There was one moment where I thought I might pass out…but you know, whatever.I told myself I wasn’t going to do the Sunday Boot Camp. I was going to wake up and make coffee in our cabin and sit on our porch with my book until breakfast. I’d even packed up my workout clothes.

But I went back for more.*

*This might have been the result of consuming an entire bag of Oogie’s popcorn the night before, but I’m choosing to believe it was my new inner fitness bug. [I even got to play Rocky and count out reps for my group. I may have gotten a little squealy there at the end...but I did it nonetheless!]I wasn’t the only person who did all four of the fitness ‘events’ at Blend, but I was ONE of the only ones, and this was an accomplishment I didn’t even know I wanted to achieve. Having never been an athlete, I am not in the habit of considering myself to be very fit, but I finally gave myself credit for what my body was capable of doing, and I’m not sure I would ever have done so were I not surrounded by a group of women I knew had my back and wouldn’t knock me down, only lift me up.

Just another reason to love Blend. :)

Kristen @ notsodomesticated May 10, 2012 at 6:05 am

Great job on that hike!! Way to challenge yourself! :)

Tina @ Best Body Fitness May 10, 2012 at 7:10 am

I’m so impressed you did it all. Even I was wiped and couldn’t handle the thought of the hot yoga after the hike. You rock!

Fran@ Broken Cookies Don't Count May 10, 2012 at 7:42 am

I’ve taken one yoga class. I’d really like to try more because I need to work on my flexibility. If you can try, so can I, Sarah!

Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean May 10, 2012 at 7:56 am

crazy girl!

Danielle May 10, 2012 at 7:57 am

great job! The whole retreat looks like it was a blast! I hope you had fun doing the fitness stuff!

Calee (@chimes) May 10, 2012 at 8:26 am

I remember going up the mountain and chatting with you about how you’re a foodie blogger, not a fitness blogger. I’m a foodie, crafty and somewhat fitness blogger. ;) I barely made it up there! You did fabulous!

And I didn’t see the bathroom at the top of the mountain! I wish I would have.

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning May 10, 2012 at 8:33 am

Yay Sarah!!! You should be SO proud of yourself- I would have never known that you weren’t a gym rat to begin with! :)
I wish I had done yoga- but there was just SO much to try to fit in. I’m hoping that next year they do yoga on Sunday morning. :)

Sarah May 13, 2012 at 6:01 pm

I’m not saying I don’t spend a lot of time at the gym…I just always feel a little lazy in my perma-llipticaling while watching Real Housewives and reading middle-aged mom magazines…

Brittany (Healthy Slice of Life) May 10, 2012 at 8:39 am

I did that same hike 2 years ago when I was in Boulder for a wedding and you aren’t kidding, it’s tough stuff!! You should be very proud! So impressed with your kick-butt fitness weekend :)

teabagginit May 10, 2012 at 9:00 am

it sounds like you were able to push yourself out of your comfort zone and find new aspects of your own personality. after all, isn’t that what summer camp is all about? :)

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List May 10, 2012 at 9:22 am

I can’t believe you did yoga! ROCKSTAR!!
Annnnnd I miss you.
Annnnnnd your nut butter is almost gone. :)

Sarah May 13, 2012 at 6:01 pm

Annnnnnnnnd I miss you, too!

[Annnnnnnnnnnd you'll soon be able to acquire more...stay tuned. :) ]

blackhuff May 10, 2012 at 9:50 am

Such an excellent hike you did – you should really be proud of yourself. Well done!

Heather @ Better With Veggies May 10, 2012 at 10:16 am

You’re so hardcore – my legs were shaking like jello and I couldn’t fit in yoga class. You’re never allowed to say you’re not an athlete again. You rock!!

Maria May 10, 2012 at 10:17 am

That’s just another thing I was so pleased about with Blend. We were literally surrounded by super fit, trainer ladies and never once did I feel I like was being judged for being slightly slower on the run, or not eking out as many reps as they could. Such a truly inspiring place!

I did The Dish yesterday and those hills were cake compared to our CO hikes. Bonus :)

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table May 10, 2012 at 11:23 am

I totally forgot you took that first pic! May I “borrow” it? :)

You were a total rockstar… but I don’t think you are giving yourself enough credit for being a fitness girl. I saw you tear up that elliptical like a champ in San Fran! :)

Sarah May 13, 2012 at 5:59 pm

If you haven’t “borrowed” the pick yet, please do! Let me know if you need the original. :)

Jacqui May 10, 2012 at 11:39 am

Great job looks like such fun. I hear Cville has some great yoga places so I am sure you will find something.

Nikki S May 10, 2012 at 11:52 am

Awww I love the Royal Arch hike!! Totally kicks your butt but in a good way! Nice work at altitude too. Having lived in the mtns for the last 5.5 years, it’s crazy how much it affects you and you don’t even notice it until it’s too late. :) Nice Work!

Sam @ Fit for My Fork May 10, 2012 at 1:27 pm

Well done on doing all the fitness events! I, like you, probably would have been very pleased to see the bathroom on the hike, lol. Our bladders must be twins!

I’m glad you’re going to look into practicing yoga more regularly. I started about a year ago and haven’t looked back. I love it!

Kristin @ eat healthy. be happy. live well. May 12, 2012 at 7:45 am

That’s awesome that you pushed yourself and reaped the benefits! I need to get my hands on some of those aminos ;)

Welcome to the yoga circle- it’s life-changing!!! I’ve been doing it for about 2 years now and it’s the best way to start my day.

Jessica May 21, 2012 at 11:57 am

You were a total rock star that weekend!! I still can’t believe you did all the activities. After the hike I was done for. haha