Cherry Chocolate Pumpkin DOUGHNUFFINS

by Sarah on May 21, 2012 · 25 comments

To be honest, they are really nothing like a doughnut.But they DO taste like dough.Yet, since you bake them into muffins……you can’t really call them doughballs.I shall call them DOUGHNUFFINS, because I want to.

[Mostly because that's a lot easier to say than Chia Cherry Chocolate Pumpkin Doughy Mini Muffins.]

Although I do love that alliteration.(Cherry Chia Pumpkin also works.)

How did this all come to be? Well, it starts with Cheribundi.I was ever so lucky to be contacted by the 100% pure, not from concentrate, tart cherry juice company to sample any and all of the variety of flavors in their product line.

I, of course, wanted to try them all.

Cherry juice is meant to help aid muscle recovery, reduce your risk of heart disease, and, well, if Dr. Oz thinks it’s good for us, it must be, right?

Ginger Cherry = THE BEST!

Being one who always prefer to eat my calories rather than drink them I thought, “Why not BAKE with it?” My first thought (after that one) was to make Cherry Banana Bread.But my bananas weren’t ripe enough that seemed too ordinary, so instead I turned to the four cans of pumpkin I eeked out from their hiding place in the pantry. Pumpkin and cherry sounded like fun. [Pumpkin and strawberry worked, so why shouldn't this?]And because I couldn’t get over the idea of some fun alliteration, I had to throw in the chia seeds as well.Of course, I didn’t actually use the chia seeds you saw in the photos above, as I already had a jar of ‘em in the pantry, along with some white chia seeds I had stolenborrowed from Mama Smart the last time I was in Pennsylvania.

So we've learned I'm a food hoarder. Deal with it.

I made some chia eggs for the first time–1 Tbsp. chia to 3 Tbsp. water per egg–and after the mixture globulated a bit……I added it to an ever-so-lovely-looking mixture of sugar, pumpkin, applesauce, and cherry juice.But as though it were Stacy and Clinton on What Not To Wear, the whisk performed a magical makeover and turned that mess into something that could at least–if only for one night–confidently step out in public.A mix of whole wheat and all-purpose flour thickened it up–and I would have used all whole wheat pastry flour if I’d had the foresight to check that there was enough––and I threw in some cherry-flavored raisins for kicks.Of course, one of the best alliterative ch- sounds couldn’t be left out of the party. Chocolate just had to make an appearance.Baked for 15 minutes at 375 degrees……I ended up with this muffin doughball hybrid that I really didn’t expect.

But I didn’t expect to eat all but 9 of them in one day either.So there’s that.

Cherry Chia Chocolate Pumpkin Doughnuffins

• 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
  • 1/2 cup + 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 3/4 tsp. ground ginger
  • 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
  • 2 Tbsp. cherry-infused raisins, cherry flavored dried cranberries, or dried cherries
  • 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
  1.  In a small bowl, stir together chia seeds and water. Set aside.
  2. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray a mini-muffin pan with cooking spray.
  3. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together sugars and applesauce.
  4. Add pumpkin puree and cherry juice to the sugar/applesauce mixture. Pour in chia eggs once they have gelled.
  5. Stir all ‘wet’ ingredients vigorously until blended.
  6. In a separate bowl, combine flours, baking soda, and spices. Add to ‘wet’ mixture, stirring well to combine.
  7. Stir in dried cherries and chocolate.
  8. Scoop batter into mini muffin tins. [They will not rise much, so fill 'em all the way up!]
  9. Bake for 15 minutes.

Fran@ Broken Cookies Don't Count May 21, 2012 at 7:06 am

Those sound and look really delicious, Sarah! You’re so creative!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table May 21, 2012 at 8:18 am

Mmmmm… I don’t have any cherry left though! Think I could do it with almond milk?

Also, this wins the prize for the best name ever. Well, maybe right behind the squash-amole. That was pretty brilliant.

Sarah May 23, 2012 at 10:13 pm

Dude, squash-a-mole WAS a stroke of pure genius. What can I say? I have a gift for useless wordplay.

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat May 21, 2012 at 8:57 am

Don’t get me started on Dr. Oz, but these look delicious!

sarah @ sarah learns May 21, 2012 at 10:17 am

alliteration is my favorite. <3

these look delicious as always! now i need to search for this cheribundi stuff at my supermarket…

Mattie @ Comfy and Confident May 21, 2012 at 10:32 am

ummm… these look amazing. I have chia seeds at home and have been trying to find new fun recipes to make with them. This one is definitely a must! I might even do it tonight!!

Jessica May 21, 2012 at 10:32 am

Best use of Cheribundi (other than drinking it)!

Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers May 21, 2012 at 11:02 am

Yum! Sounds good to me, whatever ya call ‘em

Tricia @ Saving room for dessert May 21, 2012 at 12:36 pm

I am a nut for dough :) Guess that makes me a dough-nut! Another creative, inventive, healthy, delicious Sarah creation :)

Maria May 21, 2012 at 2:07 pm

This reminds me of a post where you had a Chica-Cherry-Cola alliteration and I was slightly hoping that you’d pull that one out again. Love me some old school Savage Garden.

Why yes, I have read every single one of your posts. Don’t judge.

Sarah May 23, 2012 at 10:12 pm

Not judging. Just flattered. :)

Heather @ Better With Veggies May 21, 2012 at 2:32 pm

This looks awesome – I just have to go buy some more Cheribundi now, so I can try this. And this time I have to follow your recipe better, since I added an extra cup of veggie broth to the seitan chorizo yesterday and had to cook it for forever. :)

Alex@Spoonful of Sugar Free May 21, 2012 at 3:17 pm

I love this! Instead of Chia Cherry Chocolate Pumpkin Doughy Mini Muffins you could go all mathematical and say C^3 P-Daddy=M^2 ….which is really even more confusing…

Kristen @ notsodomesticated May 21, 2012 at 3:49 pm

I love all of your ideas!! This one sounds and looks delicoius!

Katie @ Nutrition in a Peanut Shell May 21, 2012 at 4:53 pm

I NEVER would have guessed that cherry and pumpkin could go together!
The first picture made me think you made some sort of Munckin’ {tm Dunkin Donuts} and I got REALLY excited…but these are the next best thing!

Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean May 21, 2012 at 8:45 pm

i agree with laura. best name ever!

Liz @ iheartvegetables May 21, 2012 at 10:55 pm

Sarah you are seriously the most clever person ever. How do you think of these things?! Your naming abilities alone are pretty freakin incredible.

I miss your face!

Sarah May 23, 2012 at 10:11 pm

If only I could find someone to pay me just to sit around and come up with recipe names all day.

amy May 22, 2012 at 3:22 pm

you ridiculous woman you!!! these look awesome…my husband just killed our cheribundi..boo!! guess ill have to buy more.

Amanda @ Diary of a Semi-Health Nut May 22, 2012 at 9:10 pm

Wow I would never have even thought to bake with the cheribundi…you are awesomely inventive. :-)

teabagginit May 22, 2012 at 11:39 pm

there was a sign at my local health food store that read, “Dr. Oz products sold here.” i turned around and walked out.
i would not, however, walk out on these delightful little dough-taste-nuffin’ like a plain ole’ muffin! :)

teabagginit May 22, 2012 at 11:39 pm

i just noticed that i added an apostrophe to “nuffin” as if “nuffing” is a word. :)

Sarah May 23, 2012 at 10:09 pm

I think nuffing should be a word.

nuffing [gerund]: participating in the act of making or eating muffins

Rebecca @ Blueberry Smiles May 23, 2012 at 2:23 pm

Wow, these look delicious!!

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli May 26, 2012 at 8:43 am

You had me at doughy. These look absolutely amazing! I’ve never thought about combining cherry and pumpkin before. I also never thought strawberry and pumpkin would work, but you proved me wrong there! You’re creativity CEASES to amaze me woman! Love you!