Artichoke Pesto Hummus

by Sarah on May 24, 2012 · 11 comments

Last night was my third attempt at impersonating a cooking instructor [slash] Food Network Star at Whole Foods here in Charlottesville.

The theme?

Homemade Hummus with The Garbanzo Queen!*

*OK, fine, the flier said “Homemade Hummus with Sarah,” but if I’m known by only my first name among the Health Starts Here groupies at Whole Foods I feel like royalty regardless. :) In following the Health Starts Here guidelines that restrict the use of refined oils, I was introducing not only the basic steps to making hummus, but also alternatives to oil for making creamy, delicious hummus.

In addition to the (some might say required) tahini, my favorite mixer for creating the perfect, still slightly chunky, consistency is really just a little water…but I also mentioned veggie broth, tomato sauce (used in my Bloody Mary Hummus), roasted red peppers, and–as in the hummus I sampled last night–artichoke hearts.Although I traditionally use artichoke hearts to make Lemon Dill Artichoke Hummus, it was locally grown basil (on sale!) that caught my eye when I went to pick up supplies last weekend.That, coupled with the exciting discovery of jarred roasted garlic packed in water–as opposed to oil–led me in only one (perhaps obvious)* direction.

*Especially if you read the post title…

Artichoke Pesto Hummus :) You start with the basic hummus formula:

Chickpeas + (Roasted) Garlic + Salt + Tahini + Lemon Juice

But along with the addition of artichoke hearts, you toss in a handful of fresh basil–and I’m too lazy to even trim the stems y’all–into the blended hummus.I added a little of the canned artichoke-infused liquid to thin it out where I wanted it to be. [The best part about homemade hummus? It's always just how you like it.]At first, I thought about adding pine nuts. Then I realized that would be an incredible waste of money. So, I decided that using them as a “taste association” garnish would work just as well.Overall, I had a great class, which consisted of about 15 minutes of actual “cooking” (I should say food processing) and about an hour of me just talking about my life.

But I fed people. So they stayed.

Artichoke Pesto Hummus

1 1/2 cups garbanzo beans (1 [15 oz.] can), drained and rinsed

1 [14-oz.] can artichoke hearts–6 whole hearts–packed in water, liquid reserved

3-4 cloves minced roasted garlic

2 Tbsp. tahini

1/2-3/4 cup fresh basil leaves

salt to taste

pine nuts (optional), for garnish

Combine all ingredients in a food processor. Blend until smooth, using reserved artichoke heart ‘water’ to thin to desired consistency.

Hannah@mindrunningwild May 24, 2012 at 6:18 am

JEALOUS. I want my food processor now! (I sound like Varuca salt….however you spell it)
wait.
you were the teacher? that makes it even better!! I’m sure they stayed that artipesummus looks divine.
I recently added curry powder to a red pepper hummus and it tastes like heaven but I”m really keen to experiment more when I get home.

Fran@ Broken Cookies Don't Count May 24, 2012 at 7:08 am

I love artichokes and almost any form of hummus is my friend. I guess I really do need to break out my big food processor…the mini one won’t handle this. Someone please wave their magic wand and give me more counter space AND cabinet space…

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table May 24, 2012 at 7:14 am

I’ve been meaning to make something similar for so long. But I keep buying it like a lame-o. At least I buy if from WF, right? :)

Next time I’m making it at home. I swear. You’ve inspired me.

Heather @ Better With Veggies May 24, 2012 at 10:39 am

I want to come watch one of your demonstrations, it’s so cool that you do this! I love making hummus at home, but I rarely measure it out so I can repeat the recipe.

Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean May 24, 2012 at 11:11 am

i just recently started eating artichokes and i love pesto so i think i’d like this :)

Kristen @ notsodomesticated May 24, 2012 at 5:20 pm

Yum!! I love pesto! This sounds delicious!

Talia @ Bite Size Wellness May 24, 2012 at 5:48 pm

Yum, yum and MORE yum! I should have added your dip into today’s post on veggie dips for Vegetarian Week! Thanks for the recipe. PINNING IT.

teabagginit May 24, 2012 at 7:49 pm

i love artichoke hearts (canned > fresh) and this looks AWESOME!!!

Jessica May 26, 2012 at 12:06 am

omg yum!! I want this…NOW!

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli May 26, 2012 at 8:25 am

Ugh, I’ve been saying I was going to make my own hummus for months now! I don’t know what I’m waiting for! I have to admit that I’ve been pretty lazy lately and haven’t thought twice about buying the premade stuff, but I really prefer making it at home. I hate how oily the Sabra varieties are…usually, I end up pouring off the oil on top when I first open it.

Love the idea of saving the pine nuts for garnish instead of losing them in the flavors of the hummus…those little buggers are NOT cheap!

Oh and jarred roasted garlic is the BEST!

Diana @ VeggieNextDoor May 26, 2012 at 11:21 pm

I love that you are becoming a regular feature at WFM! I’m trying to get in the habit of making my own hummus instead of getting storebought so thank you for having so many flavors for us home-cooks on your blog :-)

I am trying a new hummus recipe tomorrow that uses the liquid from the chickpea can. One day I’ll graduate to cooking my own beans from scratch.