What I Ate (Excessively) Wednesday

by Sarah on April 25, 2012 · 24 comments

A few months ago, I was excessively excited to receive a box of not one, but FOUR jars of PB Crave peanut butters, in such sweetly intoxicating flavors as Cookie Nookie and Choco Choco.Although at first I thought they were a bit too sweet, and the banana was slightly artificial tasting, I do wish I could show you photos of the delightful appearance of teeny tiny white and dark chocolate chips in the Razzle Dazzle, or how I creatively used them to make cookies or peanut butter banana bread or something.

Except a mere two weeks after they arrived, this was all that remained:Obviously, I got over any sweetness issues.

But before you think this was a one time occurrence, you should know that I tend to eat in extremes. I get fixated on a food, or a product, and I consume it excessively for as long as I can tolerate its consumption. [Which, except for a minor incident last year involving pumpkin ice cream is often a surprisingly long time.]In keeping with Jenn‘s April goal of adding an extra cup of veggies this month, I have, in fact, been eating an excessive amount of lettuce.The joyful reciept of an OXO Salad Spinner has meant I have a constant supply of clean lettuce on hand. I buy more, just so I can play with my spinner. I even find myself reaching in the fridge and eating pieces of iceberg with my hands. And of course, The B.F.S.s have been excessivein gigantitude. [Yes, I just said gigantitude.]

Baba ghanoush might be excessively ugly, but it sure is delish!

The best bowls o’ lettuce have been doused excessively with this Wholesome Goodness Balsamic Dressing. I’m excessively sad that I finally finished it. [And if you think I didn't stick my chin into the bowl more than once to lick up every last drop you are SADLY mistaken.]

Sometimes I get a little excessive with toppings–Morningstar Black Bean Burger, homemade Pineapple Cilantro Avocado Dressing, AND a mess of sugar snaps and other raw delights? Of course!–but it’s similar to the thought of “Why make only ONE type of slaw, when you can make TWO?!?!”

...and excessively eat it...one time for breakfast...

And let’s not even get started on the excessive amount of hummus I purchase and consume. Sure, I make a lot of my own–the don’t call me The Hummus Queen for nothing–but if I have less than four different types in my fridge at once, I strangely begin to get excessively anxious.Yes, that hummus is for one person. Are you shocked? Probably not. You know what’s also for just one person? All this fruit.And you can bet that except for three apples, it was all eaten in a week. [And I even bought another cantaloupe.]Perhaps this excessive fruit consumption is the reason I cannot help but excessively consume this Yogi Ginger tea?It’s cheaper than kombucha, but still makes my tummy feel all excessively good and stuff. There are periods of days where I literally don’t think I’ll be able to sleep if I don’t have a mug of this. Plus, it likes to look longingly outside of windows and meditate on nature.

Something else I often think I can’t get to bed without?Cereal: It’s not just for snacktime breakfast anymore.

I’ve started adding some wheat germ into the bottom of the bowl. It allows for a nice, soft, oatmeal-like layer topped with crunchy, almond milk-soaked goodness. Crumbled up Weetabix do the same thing. With all of this excessive processed wheat mushing around it is clearly a good thing I don’t have issues with gluten.

Yes, eight types of cereal mixed in one bowl…I need YOU tonight.

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table April 25, 2012 at 12:37 am

Speaking of PB… I need your help. I tried to make some yesterday and miserably failed. The texture was nasty.

I am with you on the hummus and the fruit consumption. I do it with spinach too. Can’t get enough. Good call on the wheat germ in the cereal, btw.

KaraHadley April 25, 2012 at 3:24 am

I totally get you on the pb thing. I once ate a kilo tub in two weeks. Though it was just plain pb, so not nearly as exciting as your fancy pb.
Now if only I could get on the excessive amount of fruit and salad thing…

Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin April 25, 2012 at 7:12 am

I’ve been on such a Yogi tea kick too! I tried their Egyptian Licorice flavour a few weeks ago and I’ve gone through like 5 boxes of it since then!

Kristen @ notsodomesticated April 25, 2012 at 7:36 am

Oh my, I want those peanut butter flavors so badly!! Can you buy them in a store?? I’ve never seen them before.

Fran@ Broken Cookies Don't Count April 25, 2012 at 7:50 am

I love your excesses…especially the hummuses (hummusi??) Whichever…I’m with you, Sarah!

Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean April 25, 2012 at 8:31 am

oooh that dressing looks delightful!

Alex@Spoonful of Sugar Free April 25, 2012 at 8:56 am

ohmygoodness. Give me 4 jars of pb and they will probably be gone in 2 weeks, too.

You should make your own kombucha! It is actually really easy, and soo tasty! (and inexpensive!). My little bucha is having a baby soon, so if you are ever in florida-come by and get it! I’ll be posting about it soon.

Tricia @ Saving room for dessert April 25, 2012 at 9:12 am

You know what sticks out in this post for me? Besides all the cute anecdotal musings, and the incredible peanut butter flavors? How you are also the queen of picking perfect fruit. The cantaloupe should be a model for all other cantaloupes in the world! Please write another post on picking perfectly ripe fruits. I bet that mango is super delicious! I have always been grateful for the “how to pick the perfect watermelon” tutorial. Love ya!

Danica @ It's Progression April 25, 2012 at 10:19 am

I can’t stand to eat just one kind of cereal anymore–I always mix at least two kinds of cereal, granola, then sometimes quinoa, chia seeds, cinnamon, banana, etc. into a bowl. Yum!

Tayla @ She'll Be Free April 25, 2012 at 10:53 am

Everything looks so good! I tried those PB Crave peanut butters as well and thought they were also too sweet but still good! <3

Julie April 25, 2012 at 12:20 pm

I love Yogi teas and I can’t wait to try the PB Crave!

MassachusEATS April 25, 2012 at 12:24 pm

AH omg – I need to find that Cookie Nookie PB! Sounds amazing!

And I just loaded up on TJs hummus, too lol – grabbed that tomato basil one, the kalamata olive kind, and another one that I can’t remember right now. Yum :)

Kati Mora, MS, RD, Kellogg's FiberPlus(R) Wellness Advocate April 25, 2012 at 12:34 pm

I’m loving the cereal mash up! High fiber cereals are one of my favorite go to snacks and a great way to boost my daily fiber intake when I need to. Using the cereal as a base, I find that there are almost endless possibilities as to what you can add. Its a lot of fun to make each bowl unique.

Healthiful Balance April 25, 2012 at 1:07 pm

All those PB flavors sound amazing!

Parita @ myinnershakti April 25, 2012 at 1:21 pm

I don’t think I could ever overdo PB! It’s a staple in my diet. :) Those flavors sound yummy, esp. the Choco Choco. :)

Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers April 25, 2012 at 4:48 pm

Ha – love the INXS reference.

Though I too am a hummus (yummus) lover, I think I’d be anxious with that much in my fridge at once. I’d be scared I wouldn’t finish all the deliciousness before it went bad. We both know how awful that would be!

Katie @ Nutrition in a Peanut Shell April 25, 2012 at 5:11 pm

I am a total excess fruit lover. I normally get 5-6 a day of fruit…and I see no problem with this :)

StoriesAndSweetPotatoes April 25, 2012 at 8:33 pm

Okay I have not seen those PBs before! And Yogi ginger tea is the best! I like to combine in with their green, but probably not before bedtime :)

Tt in nyc April 25, 2012 at 10:48 pm

Just looks like you have been eating Excessively well!!
And there is nothing wrong with a hummus for every mood you have- have ever had TJ’s horseradish? Perfect amount of zip to it….

Ps
Re: your comment to jen, nyc is only overwhelming when you dont have an insider to show you around, but now you “know” me! So if you’re ever here i’ll have you lovin nyc too…(or at the very least our vegan deliciousness and bagels;)

Sarah April 27, 2012 at 7:46 pm

Be careful what you offer…I very well may take you up on that this summer…

Ashley @ Freckles & Spice April 26, 2012 at 2:32 pm

OMG! I love that INXS song – I’ve been known to do it at karaoke more than once.
I also have hummus and other spreads in excessive. At any given time there will be at least one homemade hummus + a store bought. I also have a walnut lentil spread and basil cashew in my fridge too right now.
I love ginger tea – I’ve been drinking a lot of licorice root tea as well.
And have you tried the weetabix cereal biscuit??? I have been having them for a snack at night/am with granola – gives that same mushy texture in the bottom.

Sarah April 27, 2012 at 7:45 pm

The biscuits are what I’m using! I crumble them up though so you probably can’t tell. They make amazing mush, don’t they? :) I also just discovered that our Whole Foods sells the box for only $2.69 compared to $5.00 or more elsewhere, so I’ve been stocking up…

Deirdre @ Ladies Holiday April 26, 2012 at 5:15 pm

You did so well on veggin’ it up…but I have to say I came for the peanut butter…I haven’t heard of that brand/flavors before and I was so curious! Thanks for sharing.

Sunnie April 28, 2012 at 10:16 pm

That pb looks divine! You are not alone with your hummus addiction either:)