(Vegan) Macadamia & Toasted Coconut Dark Chocolate Chip Cookies

by Sarah on April 27, 2012 · 16 comments

When I was planning for my Foodie Pen Pal package this month, the recurring theme in Debbie‘s e-mail to me was “I love Cacao Bliss coconut butter.” And while I could have made her homemade coconut butter of the chocolate persuasion, I instead chose to turn that love of chocolate and coconut into, well, this:

And yes, these Macadamia & Toasted Coconut Dark Chocolate Chip Cookies are even vegan.

I took the basic vegan cookie recipe that I have slowly been perfecting and turned Debbie‘s love of chocolate coconut butter into this lastest incarnation, substituting coconut oil for a bit of the canola, and using coconut milk in place of the almond milk I had been using.

(The addition of macadamia nuts just seemed appropriate at the time.)

Just like Debbie‘s blog title, these were accidentally delishA very HAPPY accident. :)

(Vegan) Macadamia & Toasted Coconut Dark Chocolate Chip Cookies

• 3 Tbsp. canola oil
  • 1 Tbsp. ground flax seed
  • 3 Tbsp. unsweetened coconut milk
  • 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
  •  1/2 cup chopped macadamia nuts
  • 1/2 cup coconut chips or flakes
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. In a mixing bowl, whisk together oils, sugars, flax, extract, and coconut milk.
  3. In a separate bowl, stir together flour, salt, baking powder, and cardamom.
  4. Mix together dry ingredients with sugar/oil mixture until you have a thick dough.
  5. Stir in coconut, chocolate chips, and macadamia nuts.
  6. Roll dough into 18-20 balls and place onto parchment-paper lined baking sheets.
  7. Bake for 12-15 minutes, until bottoms are browned and tops are slightly golden.
  8. Cool completely on wire racks before storing.

What to do with leftover ingredients?

That’s a no-brainer.

Where do you think the idea for my Wonka-style (macadamia and coconut) chocolate river came from?

Kristen @ notsodomesticated April 27, 2012 at 6:42 am

These look delicious!! I’m a sucker for chocolate chip cookies! ;)

Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean April 27, 2012 at 7:38 am

hubby had his first vegan cookie this week and said it was very good! thought of you :)

Fran@ Broken Cookies Don't Count April 27, 2012 at 7:45 am

Sounds SO good!!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table April 27, 2012 at 8:20 am

I am really loving adding cardamom to cookies lately. If I wasn’t already making 50 cupcakes today I’d make these right now. So yeah… maybe tomorrow. :)

Alex@Spoonful of Sugar Free April 27, 2012 at 8:26 am

These look so amazing!!! Love the combo :D

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat April 27, 2012 at 8:52 am

These look amazing – I’m so cheap with my macadamia nuts because they’re so expensive. :)

teabagginit April 27, 2012 at 3:10 pm

these are everything good about hawaii in sweet little mounds!

Liz @ IHeartVegetables April 27, 2012 at 3:35 pm

Ohhh I JUST got a box of Artisina coconut butter samples yesterday and I know I’m going to fall in love. And once I do, I think I’ll have to make these cookies. ;)

Sarah April 27, 2012 at 7:43 pm

I’ll trade you cookies for your hook-up at Artisana! I’ve only ever had the plain coconut. Since I make my own, I’m hesitant to invest…

Katie @ Nutrition in a Peanut Shell April 27, 2012 at 5:27 pm

Oh my goodness. These look amazing. How awesome would it be to sandwich these with the chocolatey goodness you showcased yesterday?
Let me get back to you on that… ;)

Debbie (Accidently Delish) April 28, 2012 at 3:03 pm

agreed to the max! they were amazing! and they’re gone. they were gone very very fast. haha. THANK YOU.

Baking Serendipity April 29, 2012 at 10:48 pm

I have been so obsessed with coconut lately and these cookies look amazing! Pairing it with macadamia is definitely next on the list :)

Beth April 30, 2012 at 9:43 am

These look amazing! Can’t wait to try!

Oliver Danni Green August 5, 2012 at 12:39 pm

Hi! I am so in love with this recipe. I’ve been doing it with pecans instead of macadamia nuts which is absolutely divine!! I’ve made a couple other small modifications to the recipe just for textural purposes, and I’m wondering if it’s all right with you if I post my version on my blog (with credit to you of course!) Thank you so much for sharing this magnificent recipe…oooh, I have to go pull another batch out of the oven now!!

Sarah August 5, 2012 at 6:53 pm

I am so glad you love the recipe! Please adapt as you wish, and definitely put it on your blog…thanks in advance for giving me credit, though. :)

Oliver Danni Green August 6, 2012 at 12:08 pm