Strawberry Pumpkin Butter

by Sarah on April 13, 2012 · 18 comments

It was back in December when, in a stroke of (quite common) “I wonder what would happen if I put this together…” glory, I discovered the surprising satisfaction of pairing pumpkin butter with strawberries.*

*Out of season, yes…but shockingly sweet. That’s why the Smart women love Costco!As is my usual custom, I mulled over this combination for months (literally) until I found myself with a nearly-full pint of almost-overripe strawberries…..and a can of price-reduced pumpkin.There was obviously only one thing left to do:

Make pumpkin butter!

Of course, this is not just any pumpkin butter. This is Strawberry Pumpkin Butter: sweet, yet savory, and perfect for transitoning your rich winter favorite into springy brightness. [Also, it's a rather 'weird upon initial contemplation' recipe, making it perfect for a rather Freaky Friday.]

(So it likes to hang out on the window sill when it’s not chillin’ in the fridge. Don’t judge.)

The method is simple: just combine pumpkin, berries, and applesauce into a food processor, with a bit of brown, sucanat, or demerara sugar, vanilla extract, and any spice you like. [Since the first time I tried the combination, I also had some Cinnamon Faux-st cereal on top, I went with cinnamon and nutmeg...and maybe a pinch of ginger.]

Note: I used Farmer’s Market Organic Pumpkin, which I generally find to be a bit ‘thinner’ than the traditional generic brand or Libby’s. You might need to add more applesauce (or not cook it as long later for reduction purposes) to get the right consistency.

Process until smooth, and a wee bit soupy.

Pour the strawberry pumpkin mixture into a saucepan over loooooooooow heat. (You definitely want to stir regularly so as not to ‘burn the buttah.’*)

*I put that in quotes like it’s a famous saying or something. It isn’t. Until NOW.It will do the whole gloop! glop! glip! onomontapeaic gurgling thing as it thickens. (Yes, you can alliteratively giggle.)After about 20 minutes or so, pour out the butter into another bowl to cool, where it will continue to thicken up a bit. I guess you could just put it into a jar, but leaving it out to cool gives you another excuse to scrape it out of something into something else, meaning you get to lick the spatula again. It also makes it exposed for easy dipping, whether with apples, your fingers, or the salty surprise of a pretzel or pita chip.As for how to eat it, well, aside from a dip or spoonfuls taken straight from the fridge with the door wide open, you can use it as you would any other pumpkin butter. (I’m pretty sure it would make a great PB + PB sandwich.) For me, though, that usually means oatmeal.Sweet black grapes and Simply Oats Love Grown Granola are all the extra oomph you need.

Strawberry Pumpkin Butter

• 1 14 oz. can pumpkin puree
  • 1 1/2 cups sliced strawberries
  • 2 Tbsp. unsweetened applesauce
  • 2 Tbsp. demerara, sucanat, or other brown sugar
  • 1 /2 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
  • 1/8 tsp. salt
  1. Combine all ingredients in a food processor.
  2. Process until smooth.
  3. Transfer mixture to a thick-bottomed sauce pan.
  4. Cook over low heat for 20-30 minutes, until butter has thickened up quite a bit.
  5. Remove from heat and allow to cool before storing in the fridge.

Ashley @ Freckles & Spice April 13, 2012 at 7:29 am

Another butter for the win!
Its funny because I had combined sliced strawberries and pumpkin butter on my oats a couple times and bb thought it was gross but I actually thought it worked out nicely. Never thought to make a butter though – that’s why we are blessed with having your creativity roaming around the internet!
I was looking for bfast inspiration…I think I will go start my oats.
Happy Friday!

Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean April 13, 2012 at 7:53 am

never would have thought to put these two together! sounds delish!

Fran@ Broken Cookies Don't Count April 13, 2012 at 8:16 am

This sounds so good! Probably could do it with some other fruit also…hmm…

blackhuff April 13, 2012 at 8:21 am

Ooooooo …. Strawberry Pumpkin butter sounds SO delicious :)

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table April 13, 2012 at 8:32 am

That’s it. I’m moving in with you.

I want this in my oatmeal right now!!!

Kristen @ notsodomesticated April 13, 2012 at 10:03 am

Love it! As soon as the food processor comes out of storage, I want to make this! Great idea! :)

Tricia @ Saving room for dessert April 13, 2012 at 11:53 am

Outside the box on this one. Such an unexpected combination. Have a great weekend.

Anna @ On Anna's Plate April 13, 2012 at 12:03 pm

Yet again…I love your jars :-) Such a sweet presentation!

Kristina April 13, 2012 at 2:32 pm

BRILLIANT = you!

Sarah April 16, 2012 at 7:32 pm

Aw, shucks. Now I’m blushing.

Liz @ iheartvegetables April 13, 2012 at 4:10 pm

You, my darling, are quite a genius. How do you think of these combos?! And when do I get to try this delicious butter?!

Katie @ Nutrition in a Peanut Shell April 13, 2012 at 4:52 pm

This looks amazing. If you’re looking to make another variation that’s just as awesome, try maple pumpkin butter. Bestthingever

teabagginit April 13, 2012 at 7:47 pm

if fall and spring had a baby this would be it! is it just me, or is this dying to be stuffed into french toast?

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli April 14, 2012 at 9:08 pm

Lawd woman, you never fail to impress me with your delicious albeit untraditional flavor combos! I have to admit I’ve never thought to combine strawberries with pumpkin before, but you have me chomping at the bit to find some decent strawberries around there…those that won’t end up costing me my right kidney and unborn child that is! Oh how I would love to frolic around a Costco…but sadly, we have none!

Love the “burn the buttah” quote…I’m so using that in the future and linking it back to you…you’ll be famous! ;)

Sarah April 16, 2012 at 7:32 pm

You burn that buttah all you want. If I can become famous by association, all the better! (Or should I say, “all the BUTTER”??? ;) )

Baking Serendipity April 15, 2012 at 12:28 am

You are the queen of creative butters! I love this one too (clearly) :)

Lauren @ vegology April 15, 2012 at 7:01 pm

It’s so wrong, but so right. I must try this! And, by the way, strawberries are now (just barely) in season, so this post is right on time!