Pineapple Cila-vocado Dip [Slash] Dressing

by Sarah on April 26, 2012 · 11 comments

Sometimes, despite best intentions, even the most excessive produce consumer winds up with an extra avocado.More often than not, there is also some extra cilantro and green onion to be had. (Seriously, have you EVER used a whole bunch of cilantro or green onions for a recipe? Have you?)And on the rare occasion you don’t just tip the Tup-faux-ware container with residual pineapple or melon juice over into your mouth and slurp it up, you might choose to utilize it for a loftier purpose.[Oh, who am kidding? I totally ended up drinking that and exchanging Lindt truffles for a cup of my roommate's bottled stuff. :) ]

Put them all together, and what do you get?Pineapple Cila-vocado Dip!

(Also known as the third installment of the Starwarsian* trilogy that is “Sarah’s adventures in recreating the original Citrus Avocado Dressing of her dreams.”)

*New word. Love it.I’m sure Alex didn’t have a clue of the avocado consuming beast she would unleash when she brought the original to my Blog Day Brunch in March.

But we can all thank her later. :)

Pineapple Cil-avocado Dressing/Dip

• 1 cup mashed avocado (2 small avocados)
  • 1 cup pineapple juice
  • 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
  • 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
  • 1/4-1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper (optional)

Combine all ingredients in a blender. Process until smooth. Enjoy!

Tastes great with veggies...and even better with chips.

What to do with the leftover cilantro and green onions from this recipe? [I can't talk about the inevitability of it and NOT give you a suggestion, right?]Combine them with some shredded cabbage, salt, and a healthy squeeze of lime juice for a fresh side for spring or summer supper. [And if you want to get crazy and creamy, mix some of the dressing you just made into it!]Which usually means something grilled, right? [Or, if you are vegan, perhaps a chorizo seitan and pepper saute?]

...the creamy, mayo-free version I mentioned above...

Of course, as is my way, I tend to just slop it in the middle of a Big Friendly Salad. :)

Kristen @ notsodomesticated April 26, 2012 at 6:24 am

This dip looks so good! My husband and I were talking about having a housewarming party (once we finally move into our new house) and have a “Mexican” themed night. This dip would be perfect!! :)

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table April 26, 2012 at 8:10 am

It must be pineapple day – I ate so much yesterday that the skin around my mouth was raw!

I want this. Wouldn’t it be fabulous on a burrito bowl? Willy’s or Chipotle should hire you.

Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean April 26, 2012 at 8:29 am

we are crazy :) how freakin’ ironic is that?! i’m totally making mine with pineapple next time instead of OJ. yumm

Alex@Spoonful of Sugar Free April 26, 2012 at 8:32 am

Loveeeee this flavor combo! I bet it would be so good on fish tacos :D Oh wait, your vegan…sooo bean tacos?

Fran@ Broken Cookies Don't Count April 26, 2012 at 8:39 am

That sounds too, too Good!

Carla April 26, 2012 at 9:07 am

I have used the entire bunch on cilantro ONCE, when I was making the Costa Rican breakfast dish pico de gallo – swooped up rice and beans accompanied by scrambled egg and fresh cream, and man do those rice and beans need a lot of cilantro to taste justttt right!

Emily April 26, 2012 at 9:15 am

Dips make the best “dressings.” And cilantro, mmmmm…

Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers April 26, 2012 at 4:15 pm

Nope, I can’t say that I’ve ever used it all in one recipe. I tried to add a bit more cilantro to a recipe once just to use a bit more of it, and WOW. Big mistake! I like cilantro, but it took over my recipe!

Meg April 26, 2012 at 6:02 pm

well doesn’t this look amazing :D !!!!!!!!

Liz @ iheartvegetables April 26, 2012 at 7:32 pm

OH MY GOSH. I have been dreaming of that avocado dressing since the brunch!!!!!!!! I must try this version!!!! Although I DID just discover a vegetarian (not vegan :( ) caesar dressing FINALLY and I’m loving it!!! (Too bad it’s not exactly “healthy”…)

Have fun at Foxfield this weekend!!!!!

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli April 20, 2013 at 7:10 pm

Omg, HOW did I miss this?! I didn’t even see it come up in my reader! Thank God you linked it in your pomegranate dressing post because I’m TOTALLY making this! Like for serious!