Operation: Foodie Pen Pals

by Sarah on April 30, 2012 · 18 comments

Around the midde of the month, The Smart Kitchen turns into a scene of culinary craftiness that resembles a war zone with one mission…

Operation: Foodie Pen Pals

You’ll have to check in with Debbie @ Accidentally Delish to see what sorts of vaguely breakfast-themed goodies I sent her way (including “Eat Dessert First*” Vegan Macadamia + Coconut Dark Chocolate Chip Cookies)–

*…thing in the morning? [Hey, I did say vaguely...]–but I do have the honor of showing you the incredible envelope that arrived on MY doorstep this month thanks to Andrea @ Food.Travel.Life.Love (and of course the organizational skills of Miss Lindsay ‘Bean’).I was so excited that I almost ripped into this beauty without noticing the motivational message of self-love that decorated the package.I’ve always been partial to Bette Midler–there was a period of sophomore year in high school when my friends’ mantra was the chorus of “I’m Beautiful, Dammit”–so I was happy to see her young mug on my pen pal package, appearing much like I do when I bowl. :)

“Cherish forever what makes you unique,

‘Cause you’re really a yawn, if it goes!”

–Bette Midler*

*Amen, lady!Inside, the happiness and joy continued, as I moved from self-love to love for my Foodie Pen Pal.Andrea knew just how to treat a gal whose inclinations in food consumption tend towards the packable and portable.

Her package was simply snack-ulous!*

*Yes, that word just happened.I have to admit, I haven’t eaten very much of the package thus far, simply because I like to save my snack bars for times when I REALLY need them and can’t make something fresh. That doesn’t mean I didn’t pack an apple and one of the Pro Bars into my purse for an all-day wine festival in town. (I just spent more time focused on the grape juice that day.)It also doesn’t mean I’m not VERY excited to test out a new-to-me treat: a sweet s’mores bar made my the Pro Bar company called Halo in a tad tongue-in-cheek ironic spin on its “sinfully healthy” nature.I might have nibbled on the dark chocolate. I might not have. (But let’s just say we ALL know The Trader has got some tasty talents.)And I mean, when one of the Alternative Baking Company cookies arrives already broken, it’s just begging to be eaten, right? (And OH. MY. GOLL. is it GOOOOOOOOOOOOD.)*

*Vegan doesn’t always mean healthy. But it also doesn’t mean it can’t be fudgetastically delicious.One extra special treat was Andrea’s inclusion of a homemade Mexican-style spice blend.I wasted no time seasoning a Big Friendly Salad with this. Boy, does it have a kick!Nothing a former Texan couldn’t handle, though. :) [But did I welcome the addition of a Morningstar Black Bean Burger and the cooling qualities of some Pineapple Cil-avocado Dressing? Yes, indeed, I did.]

Thanks again, Andrea! (Now, excuse me while I go accidentally break that other cookie…)

If YOU want to partake in the monthly shipment of joy that is the Foodie Pen Pal exchange program, please send an email to (my soon-to-be BLEND roommate) Lindsay at theleangreenbean@gmail.com and  include the following information:

-Your full name
-Your email address
-Your blog name/address (if you’ve got one)
-Your twitter handle (if applicable)
-Whether or not you’d need a passport to go to a Tim Horton’s

She will need to hear from you by May 4th as pairings will be emailed on Cinco de May-O(h, the excitement!) [Thank her for organizing this while you're at it. ;) ]

blackhuff April 30, 2012 at 4:19 am

Such great eats. Still love this Foodie Pen Pals thing.

Tessa @ Amazing Asset April 30, 2012 at 6:45 am

Hmmm I think it’s time I get on this foodie pen pal business, I am loving the idea and what great stuff you received! Those Halo bars are a favorite of mine, I am sure you will enjoy them too :)

Fran@ Broken Cookies Don't Count April 30, 2012 at 7:26 am

I’m with Tessa, I’d like to get into the pen pal fun club, but I’m a terrible procrastinator and I’m not sure I’d ever get them out in time. Maybe That would be an incentive!

Katie @wishandwhimsy April 30, 2012 at 7:52 am

Awesome! Can’t wait to participate in May for the first time. This seems like such a great idea! Thanks for sharing. :)

Colleen April 30, 2012 at 8:09 am

Your package looks like it was filled with some great stuff! I’m so glad trader joes is moving into my town- first stop, finding that chocolate bar! Also, you know Tim hortons isn’t only in Canada right?

Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean April 30, 2012 at 8:25 am

omg those smores bars look heavenly. and that mexican spice?! i need that!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table April 30, 2012 at 8:32 am

I have been wanting to try those cookies FOREVER. The spice blend is such a good idea too! What an awesome package!

Ashley @ Freckles & Spice April 30, 2012 at 10:08 am

Whoa! You got hooked up! Cookies, spice blend, and those smore bars look fabulous!

sarah @ sarah learns April 30, 2012 at 2:04 pm

i am always tempted by those cookies when i poke around the sweets section at the co-op. they just LOOK a little sinful! :)

Kath @ the nut kase April 30, 2012 at 2:10 pm

oh my gosh you make the cutest packages–and it looks like you got a great one, too!

Heather @ Better With Veggies April 30, 2012 at 3:07 pm

Those HALO bars are fantastic, at least if you love smores like me! :)

Katie @ Nutrition in a Peanut Shell April 30, 2012 at 5:41 pm

Ohmmmyyy I’m majorly jealous of your cookies. And the HALO bar is pretty good- the Koka Moka bar is even better :)

Andrea April 30, 2012 at 7:37 pm

GIRL! I’m so glad you liked it! I was trying so so hard to make the envelope not so “blah” so I’m glad it was a hit! Sorry the spice rub was on the spicey side! If you make it again, you can totally tone down the cayanne and add more sweet paprika (or even add a little brown sugar). Oh and I’m glad those cookies were good! I was soooo worried some of the items wouldn’t be yummy. ENJOY!

Karen G April 30, 2012 at 10:22 pm

You got some great treats! I think a homemade Mexican spice blend is super fantabulous!

Julie April 30, 2012 at 11:57 pm

The Halo bars are okay. I wasn’t too impressed.

Alison May 1, 2012 at 1:59 am

What an awesome combination of things! Very cool to get a homemade spice mix.

Healthiful Balance May 1, 2012 at 4:33 am

I think the Foodie Penpal package you put together is so nice! I would dig into the granola right away! :D

All the things you got from Andrea look delish!

Leila @ Spinach and Skittles May 2, 2012 at 12:16 am

S’mores bars?! I need to find those stat!