Easter Egg(less) Salad

by Sarah on April 6, 2012 · 14 comments

Listen. I’m not telling you not to eat eggs on Easter.

After all, the whole literal and figurative concept of an egg is the essence of spring: birth, renewal, growth, and any more illustrious and verbacious terms you can pull from the thesaurus to enhance your Easter brunch toast.

But maybe instead of cracking open a (hardboiled and vinegar-dyed) egg on Sunday….…y’all could crack open a bell pepper instead?Then you can eat the “yolks” inside of that.OK. So I guess I am asking you not to eat eggs on Easter.*

*But only because I want you to try my (extremely versatile) recipe. AND because when I think about eggs, I think about cute little baby chicks. And I can’t think about cute little baby chicks and then eat an egg. Well, maybe a duck egg. Of course, then we have The–actually adorable–Ugly Duckling to think about. So maybe I could eat…a platypus egg? But they’re kind of cute in a ho-hum Eeyore way…But, you know, do what you want. It’s not like I’m going to know if you stuff your bell peppers with ‘real’ egg salad. Or even chicken salad for that matter. [Or ham salad...or shrimp salad...or crab salad...or guacamole (salad)...]

Easter Egg(less) Salad

‘Egg’ Base:

• 14 oz. firm tofu, drained and patted dry
  • 1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
  • 1 Tbsp. low-sodium tamari
  • 1-2 tsp. ground turmeric
  • 1/4 tsp. ground cumin
  • salt and pepper
  • dash of Tabasco

Mix-Ins (alter to your taste):

• 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh dill (or 1 tsp. dried)
  • 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley (or 1 tsp. dried flakes)
  • 2 Tbsp. chopped green onion or finely chopped sweet onion
  • 1/4 cup finely chopped celery
  • 1/4 cup finely chopped red bell pepper
  1. In a medium-sized mixing bowl, crumble tofu.
  2. Add remaining ingredients.
  3. Stir well to combine.
  4. Eat immediately, or allow to chill in the fridge for at least two hours for best flavor.

Serve with sprouts and grated carrots for a delicious sandwich, inside of a bell pepper, or on top of a spinach salad. (Or stuff into scooped out cherry tomatoes for a fun appetizer! ;) ]

Note: This recipe was originally written for Breathe Magazine’s blog, and then taught at my Whole Foods’ Health Starts Here cooking class entitled “Easter Egg(less)” along with that yummy Vegan Quiche I showed you on Tuesday.

Kristen @ notsodomesticated April 6, 2012 at 7:55 am

Looks delicious!! :)

Tricia @ Saving room for dessert April 6, 2012 at 8:17 am

No died eggs at my house this year! I am sure someone (not me) will devour some of those colorful little peeps – are they too cute to eat? I love the tofu base in this recipe. I’m always on the lookout for more tofu recipes so may have to give this one a try. Congrats on another great article and class! Have a lovely Easter – many blessings to you!

Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean April 6, 2012 at 9:37 am

sorry friend, but i love eggs :) however your non-eggs sure are pretty!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table April 6, 2012 at 11:01 am

I HATE egg salad, so I kind of love you for coming up with this. And stuffing it in a pepper! Pretty food is the best. :)

Heather @ Better With Veggies April 6, 2012 at 11:02 am

Oh of course – like a tofu scramble – perfect!! =) This is great for Easter & The Masters, which is known for pimento cheese & egg salad sandwiches. Thanks!!

Liz @ IHeartVegetables April 6, 2012 at 1:30 pm

Eggs weird me out a little too, when I think of baby chicks. *sigh* I think that’s why I can eat eggs when they’re IN things, like cookies… but not by themselves. (I mean, I kind of can. But I’m a little weird about it.)

Soooo egg-less is much more appetizing to me! :)

Happy Easter!

Parita @ myinnershakti April 6, 2012 at 1:38 pm

Although I’ve started eating eggs more frequently, they’re still not my favorite. This salad sound yum – so many flavors in one salad!

Katie @ Nutrition in a Peanut Shell April 6, 2012 at 6:36 pm

Mmm, vegan scrambled tofu. Haven’t had the guts to try it yet, but it looks awesome!

Fran@ Broken Cookies Don't Count April 7, 2012 at 11:10 am

That sounds so Yummy! Happy Easter, Sarah!

teabagginit April 8, 2012 at 12:26 pm

i love tofu scrambles! :) i used to make them all the time – i’ve even used the tofu for tuna substitutes w/ capers!

looks great! happy easter!

Brittany April 8, 2012 at 2:56 pm

I like it!! I will most definitely try your eggless ways.

Karen Gent April 8, 2012 at 10:13 pm

I had to check out your blog this evening. I love it! The Easter eggless salad in the red bell pepper looks delicious. All the photos are great. Your creativity really shines through. I think I’m hooked!