What I Ate (SNOW) Day

by Sarah on March 7, 2012 · 18 comments

On Monday I woke up to a bit of a surprise.An hour or two later…I was even MORE surprised.

And that, my little chickadees (and our lovely host Jenn), is how this potential What I Ate (On a Two-Hour Delay That I Didn’t Expect Because NO ONE Could Have Predicted That and I Woke Up and Showered at the Normal Time Before Looking Out The Window So I Didn’t Sleep In–Not That I Could Have Anyway) Wednesday turned into What I Ate SNOW Day!One of the best things about being at home, making breakfast–rather than making breakfast in the workroom microwave from your pre-portioned and spiced baggie of oatmeal/flax/oat bran–is the opportunity to make such voluminous, slow cooked oats. And, while I generally have been eating plain and simple oatmeal every morning……I thought the fact that I was home and COULD jazz things up a bit meant a dig through the fridge was in order. Hence, I cooked these up in a bit of applesauce that had been lurking behind a stack of hummus……and found half of a GIANT Asian pear to cut some sweet, crunchy bits from. [Please don't judge this photo. Lazy cooks don't waste time with cutting boards. Vegans ("with benefits") use their steak knives to cut fruit.]Since I had so much scrumptious Irish (Soda) Breakfast Bread on hand from my Breathe Magazine assignment, I figured a little crumble on top would only IMPROVE the amazing bowl of goodness I enjoyed while catching up on season two of Downton Abbey.Much of the day was spent creating a Recipage* and playing some of my favorite kitchen games:

*Love it. It’s going to take a long while to complete..but I’m enjoying just randomly going through my recipes and posting them with no apparent plan or continuum. :)

“Cook Everything In The Fridge and…“Chop One For Me, Chop One For the Pot”

Needless to say, by the time I got around to making a legit lunch, I wanted nothing to do with vegetables. I had a hard time figuring out what I DID want…and then it hit me: yogurtI figured the massive amount of Vanilla Chai Yogurt I had left from my Second Blog Day Brunch was good enough reason to make the executive decision not to be lactose intolerant anymore. With a (Lactaid) pill and a prayer, I also decided this bowl of yogurt was a good enough reason to use some wheat germ, chia seeds that I always forget I have, and to eat another bit of Irish (Soda) Breakfast Bread.Guess what? I was fine! I was fine! I wanted to eat more yogurt….but thought I better not get too crazy right away. :)

What did get crazy? What was NOT fine?

Well, the rest of my evening. I can’t say much about it, but it involved me being the victim of a hit-and-run and witness to a police chase…then crying in my car quite a bit.

I’m OK. I’m not in jail. I’m not hurt. Obviously.

But it was scary.

Dinner, therefore, was a whole lot of what sounded comforting: warm Miso Ginger Greens with (makes everything better) sweet chili sauce……along with a Mama Smart-mandated glass of wine,* and a Miss Smart-mandated hunk of a recent experiment in Vegan Irish Soda Bread (with thyme, rosemary, and dates) baking.

*Don’t worry, Mama, Mr. Mason Jar made sure that the painkillers I took would not have adverse effects when paired with alcohol. ;) I only drank a little bit of the wine…but I ate the whole bit of bread. And then went back for more…along with a bowl of grapes, cantaloupe, and Asian pear…topped with Citrus Avocado Dressing.*

*I told y’all it was good. Good on anything. (And everything?) And now, after a night of very little sleep followed by a surprise two-hour-delayed SOL testing day…I’m tired and ready for, well, another Snow Day. :)

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table March 7, 2012 at 12:49 am

Asian pears are like fruit-candy. Did you save the rest of the earlier pear for dinner? I didn’t think they would keep! Very cool.

My Recipage is slooooow going. Good luck, my friend.

P.S. Finish that wine! There are sober kids in Africa! (Plus you deserve it after that car craziness.)

Tt in nyc March 7, 2012 at 11:46 pm

Ok laura, that “sober kids in africa” literally made me choke on my tea laughing here…… Gonna use that one ;)
And ms smart! Babe! How scary with a hit and run! (((((((big squishy hug)))))) you absolutly need a snow day to deal with your snow day. Or a the very least a huge mug of fragrant chai tea and some nut butter off of a spoon. While wearing a snuggie.

Kinley @ Better Off Barefoot March 7, 2012 at 5:29 am

Oh my gosh! I am glad you are OK! That sounds like no way to spend a surprise snow day…

Fran@ Broken Cookies Don't Count March 7, 2012 at 7:44 am

Hope you’re ok!!! Everything looks delicious! When I tried to link to the Irish Breakfast bread, the link wouldn’t work. Any suggestions??

Sarah March 7, 2012 at 8:23 am

I think the magazine’s server is down. No worries, I went ahead and added the recipe to this post and will try to get it onto my new Recipage (AKA “The Textbook”) in the next little bit. :)

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes March 7, 2012 at 8:04 am

Great eats! I love love Downton Abbey!! :D

Tricia @ Saving room for dessert March 7, 2012 at 8:19 am

Be sure to get plenty of rest (so says your Blog Mom) because stress can mess with you. Rest and sleep can help! So glad you are ok. And glad you’re getting plenty of meals out of the Irish Soda bread :)

Michelle {lively kitchen} March 7, 2012 at 9:17 am

What is this Snow you speak of? :)

Sorry about your car accident. That sucks. I was in one a few years ago and I cried non-stop the day after. I was in shock the day of, but the day after I was a wreck, even though I was mostly physically fine. Just ride out the emotions.

Rachel @ My Naturally Frugal Family March 7, 2012 at 10:56 am

So sorry about the hit and run, not a lot of fun to be involved in. However a police chase is kind of cool…I work for a pd so I think it makes me a little more adventure loving (who knows).

Anywho your eats look good and I am glad you enjoyed most of your snow day :)

Parita @ myinnershakti March 7, 2012 at 2:36 pm

Oh man, I’m glad you’re ok! Getting a speeding ticket is scary for me, I can only imagine a hit and run! Hugs!

And ALL of your eats look so good. I especially like the “cook everything in my fridge” game. It’s fun!

Becca @ Blueberry Smiles March 7, 2012 at 2:46 pm

Snow day- LUCKY you! I love Irish Soda bread too

Katie @ Nutrition in a peanut shell March 7, 2012 at 4:35 pm

Oh my goodness, thank gosh you’re okay! I hope you feel better about it. Just roll with the emotions, they’ll get better.

Have fun with state testing! I’m on the other and it sucks :)

Candy @ Healthy In Candy Land March 7, 2012 at 4:50 pm

So sorry about the freakishly scary day you had. I hope today has been better, and much more restful. You deserve an entire *bottle* of wine after that. And some chocolate.
P.s. I use steak knives to cut fruit too. And veggies. And everything else. Except steak.

MassachusEATS March 7, 2012 at 9:23 pm

Oh my goodness, how scary! I’m glad to hear that you are okay but still – yikes!

Leila @ Spinach and Skittles March 7, 2012 at 10:33 pm

Hit and run!? What a j-hole! (jackass/ass-hole, my made up somewhat school appropriate word).
And I cut my fruits and veggies with steak knives too. Everyone makes fun of me, but the serrated edges just cut through them so nicely!

Ashley @ Freckles & Spice March 7, 2012 at 11:40 pm

Those are some very good eats despite the accident! Glad you are okay.
That bread looks dangerous to have around – I am a crazy carb-o-vore! I don’t know if I should make it or not, haha.
I’ve been taking advantage of my relaxed work schedule and having lazy homemade bfast. I know when I am a full time student again, and then a nurse it will be a luxury for me too.

janetha March 8, 2012 at 1:29 pm

I love snow days!

Laura March 8, 2012 at 1:51 pm

I miss snow days!! So nice to have those unexpected days at home… yummy eats, and congrats on putting together a recipage, I’ll have to check it out!