Pistachio Poo

by Sarah on March 20, 2012 · 21 comments

Spring has sprung!*

*At least according to the calendar. I stil feel like March is a little early for this.

What do you say we celebrate with some fresh?

So fresh and so……green?OK. Fine. It’s really more of a U.S. Army interpretation of chartreuse..or perhaps a sans-pimiento stuffed olive.But I promise. It started with green(er) intentions.

Fun Fact: Not only do small children like to finger paint, they also like to call pistachios acorns and throw the shells at each other.*

*Not that I had to stop some 5th grade boys from doing that yesterday or anything.

Of course–as every experienced finger painter knows–brown and purple and green make (rather unfortunately)…

Brownish Purplish (yes, you can say it) PUKISH Green! I’m declaring it green nonetheless.

With a sprinkling of sea salt and a drizzle of honey…well, this whole Pistachio Butter thing ain’t so bad.In fact…it’s downright delicious.It just looks rather unappealing.*

*But that’s what they said about relish, hummus, and salsa…and just think how fabulous that is!

Baby food?* Or Pistachio Butter?

*Or–go ahead and think it–”the result of consuming too much baby food”

Does it really matter?

Sweet + Salty Pistachio Butter

• 1 3/4 cups dry roasted, unsalted, shelled pistachios
  • 1/2 tsp. sea salt
  • 1/2 Tbsp. honey

Process nuts in a food processor until they have deconstructed into nut buttery consistency.

Sprinkle in sea salt and drizzle in honey.

Process until well mixed.

————–

Speaking of babies…does anyone think these tulips resemble baby birds, reaching their necks up to mama,  just itchin’ to be fed?And BAM! It all comes full circle.

(Sort of.)

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes March 20, 2012 at 8:15 am

Happy Spring! :D

blackhuff March 20, 2012 at 8:16 am

I love Tullips. They are such a beautiful flower.
Thanks for sharing the recipe of the Pistachio Butter. I am going to try this. Can you tell me how long does this Pistachio Butter keep fresh in the fridge?
I’m a new reader of your blog and followed you over from A Healthy Slice of Life :)

Sarah March 20, 2012 at 9:19 am

Welcome! :)

lindsay March 20, 2012 at 8:47 am

the title alone gives me giggles. I want pistachio poo now, and maybe some peanutbutter poo later.

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table March 20, 2012 at 8:49 am

Did you shell all of those pistachios yourself (or with kids)?! Crazy lady. ;)

That crazy-colored butter sounds fab to me! I bet THAT would be good on the soda bread (not that I have any left).

Sarah March 20, 2012 at 9:21 am

I smeared some of it on the leftover savoury soda bread (as seen in the first photo of it); the combination of thyme, rosemary, and dates with the pistachio was AMAZING. I’ll have to try it with the sweet(er) potato soda bread next…

Tricia @ Saving room for dessert March 20, 2012 at 9:10 am

You rock! This is great – thanks for showing me the way :) I love the name by the way – I think you should bottle it! I read somewhere that you can soak them in water for a short time to easily remove the purple skin. Do you think that would make the color difference you’re looking for? Go green!! whoo-hoo! Happy spring to you too!

Sarah March 20, 2012 at 9:22 am

And THAT is why you are my Blog Mama…always a fountain of (youth and) advice!

Emily March 20, 2012 at 9:20 am

The pistachio “poo” might not be all that pretty but those tulips are gaaaw-geous!!!!!

Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean March 20, 2012 at 11:47 am

i love you because you use words like poo in your blog titles :)

Kristina March 20, 2012 at 12:23 pm

I never saw tulips that way, but I will now ;)

pistachio butter has to be one of the worst LOOKING, but so very good tasting. I made a savory pistachio butter just last night… we are rockin the same brain waves or something.

Brittany (Healthy Slice of Life) March 20, 2012 at 12:26 pm

Oh, Sarah. I love pistachios. I love butter. Unfortunately it is identical to what is in H’s little diapers lately. Just can’t do this one yet ;)

Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers March 20, 2012 at 12:29 pm

The title of this post is downright fabulous. :D giggle If I only ate things that were pretty, I’d be missing out on some of my fav foods.

Anna @ On Anna's Plate March 20, 2012 at 2:35 pm

Haha…yep, I have a feeling we’ll be seeing a lot more of this color once our baby comes in a few weeks :-) Despite the color, I bet this tastes amazing!!

Maria March 20, 2012 at 2:41 pm

Best.blog.title.ever.

Candy @ Healthy In Candy Land March 20, 2012 at 6:23 pm

Love. Love. Love.

All of it.

I saw pistachio butter at VegFest last summer and thought it was such a genius idea and wondered why I had never seen it before. Then they told me how much they sell it for. Making your own is the most genius idea yet. Even if it looks like baby poo. Delicious, nutritious, baby poo.

Jamie Walker March 20, 2012 at 7:36 pm

I think it looks delicious – and so healthy! I love pistachios in any way, shape or form! YUM. ;) I just made some homemade nut butter this morning and it never looks as pretty as it does in the store.

Baking Serendipity March 20, 2012 at 11:57 pm

You are so inspirational when it comes to nut butters! This one sounds delicious :) And when drizzled on that apple slice, the pukish green definitely takes a back seat!

Nicole March 21, 2012 at 7:56 am

I’m waiting for a rainy day…then I’ll shell all of the pistachios needed to make the nut butter!