Dill Pickle Cashew Butter

by Sarah on March 23, 2012 · 22 comments

By now y’all should know how much I love pickles. I’ll pair them with anything (wine? popcorn? pineapple?) and eat them at any time (pre-or-post-workout, the occasional midnight snack, and once–or twice–even before breakfast). The word ‘pickled’ makes me happy, and I probably should just face the fact that a marriage to Peter Piper is my destiny.I had never, however. thought to combine my love of pickles with another great love…until now.Ironically, the person who will most hate this post is also the one that inspired it. Yes, my dear Lean Green Bean Lindsay,  it was all because of you!*

* Cue 98 Degrees?You see, when I received my Foodie Pen Pal match for the month of March, I was ecstatic to discover that I was mailing a package to Heather, whose risk-taking tastebuds rival my own. (She being creator of the infamous BBQ Peanut Butter Sandwich.) In an e-mail expressing my excitement, I offhandedly wrote a comment about the time I almost mailed Lindsay coconut butter before remembering how much she hated it, “but not pickle peanut butter, thank goodness.”

But. Now. There was an idea.

I went with cashews, instead of peanuts, since Target has been making Dill Pickle Cashews for years, and they are quite delicious. A slightly-longer-than-with-peanuts whip around the food processor later, and I was ready to season this new-level-of-crazy creation.For inspiration, I consulted another dill pickle passion: Urban Accents Tangy Dill Pickle Popcorn Seasoning. After having tasted it while working at Central Market in Austin, I quickly became fascinated with the concept of seasoning everything like a pickle.

Dill Pickle Potatoes, anyone?

I don’t think Urban Accents is making it anymore–I guess not everyone is as pickle impassioned as I am–but I was able to find a list of ingredients online, which inspired my choice of additions to the cashew butter I had before me.I threw in some salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, dried parsley flakes, and–of course–dill. At the last minute I went ahead and threw in some turmeric, for that authentic pickle juice color. :)

Presto! Pickle-o!*

*Not to be confused with piccolo, the woodwind instrument. Having never made a savoury nut butter before, well, I didn’t know what I had been missing. The same salty addiction that results in an inability to stop popping herb roasted nuts into your mouth around the holidays (or any days) results in a similar ‘must keep consuming this slightly salty herbaciously nutty picklefied creamy cashew creation’ compulsion. Good thing I was sending it away. [Right after I ate some of course.]

Is it just me...or is that pretzel smiling?

Dill Pickle Cashew Butter

• 2 cups roasted, unsalted cashews (may substitute 1 cup unsalted cashew butter)
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 tsp. onion powder
  • 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp. dried parsley flakes
  • 1/2 tsp. dried dill
  • 1/8 tsp. ground turmeric
  • pinch of black pepper
  1. Grind and mix cashews in a food processor until smooth and creamy.
  2. Add seasonings to cashew butter.
  3. Process until smooth.

Kaila @healthyhelperblog! March 23, 2012 at 7:16 am

Hmmm I have never had a savory nut butter and I have to say I am alittle nervous about the dill pickle flavor LOL! But I think I would be willing to try it! I like that you served it with pretzels….the saltiness probably pairs so well!

Fran@ Broken Cookies Don't Count March 23, 2012 at 7:56 am

You are crazy and amazing all whirred up in a food processor together! Please don’t stop!

Tricia @ Saving room for dessert March 23, 2012 at 8:28 am

All I can do is smile. I’ll have to share this with Ed. He also keeps jars of pickle juice (minus pickles) and uses it for salad dressing. I couldn’t swear to it but I bet he has put it on cereal. He would LOVE this – or at least LOVE to try it! Have a terrific weekend Ms. Smarty!

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes March 23, 2012 at 8:40 am

how cool!! So creative :)

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table March 23, 2012 at 9:16 am

Is it weird that I immediately thought about how good that would be on a banana sandwich? We used to eat them growing up with a pickle on the side… same thing, no?

Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean March 23, 2012 at 9:23 am

i’m glad you’ve found someone who can enjoy your weird tastebuds. now you can just send me the good stuff and save the weird stuff for her!

Healthiful Balance March 23, 2012 at 9:53 am

I need to make my own nut butter sometime! :D
Haha, that pretzle really IS smiling!!

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat March 23, 2012 at 10:14 am

I’m loving plain cashew butter these days. So creamy! :)

Anna @ On Anna's Plate March 23, 2012 at 10:23 am

Well this is just craziness. And maybe deliciousness?!

Liz @ IHeartVegetables March 23, 2012 at 10:58 am

Hahaha this sounds so crazy that I simply MUST try it. I like pickles (maybe not LOVE, but a strong like) and I LOVE cashews. So I think the marriage would be delicious.

Ashley @ Freckles & Spice March 23, 2012 at 11:52 am

I’ve been waiting for this recipe ever since I saw a photo of the jar you posted!
My love of pickles did not start until a couple years ago, but I’m obsessed now. Can’t wait to make it this weekend – going to be so good on sandwiches

Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers March 23, 2012 at 12:43 pm

it’s definitely smiling

Happy Friday!

Kathy March 23, 2012 at 3:03 pm

Do you think if you added a few drops of pickle juice, that the consistency would be too runny? I love target’s dill pickle nutz. I may have to try this mixture. Yum

Maria March 23, 2012 at 3:05 pm

My first thought was meh, then I realize that I’ve actually straight up drank pickle juice before from the jar (with no one watching of course). So that makes this recipe look a whole lot more normal. Right?

Liz @ IHeartVegetables March 23, 2012 at 3:32 pm

Also, I just realized I don’t think I have my blog set to e-mail peopel comments (after our discussion, I Think I need to check this) so I lied and the granola would NOT be vegan… because there’s honey in it. I know some people still eat honey, and some don’t. But the point is, I guess it’s not even really vegan! The caramel sauce from TJ’s is NOT vegan (sad) but there is a vegan version (I linked to the recipe, but also, you can get it on amazon.)

*phew*

Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic March 23, 2012 at 5:11 pm

That pickle was definitely smiling! What a super creative recipe!

Claire @ Un Bello Aperitivo March 24, 2012 at 8:06 am

This actually sounds amazing! I’ve never seen the dill pickle cashews at Target, but now I’m craving them. ;-)

teabagginit March 24, 2012 at 5:21 pm

i love dill pickles so much my mom used to ration them out to me every night at dinner. i don’t know about the cashew butter, but i definitely want to try roasting some cashews in the spice mixture!

Baking Serendipity March 25, 2012 at 12:33 am

I’m not huge on the dill flavor, but could definitely go for cashew butter :)

Stephanie March 25, 2012 at 6:13 pm

That looks so yummy! Since I have a nut allergy, would there be a substitute I could use?

Sarah March 25, 2012 at 6:49 pm

I have never had soy nut butter, but I imagine that would work. The great thing about this recipe is that the actual seasoning blend can be used for all sorts of pickle-icious creations (like the potatoes I showed in the post). :)

Stephanie March 26, 2012 at 10:04 am

What a great idea! I will definitely try this recipe with potatoes. My daughters and I love dill flavored potato chips but they are high in fat and …well, just not real potatoes, so this will be a good treat!

Thank you so much!