Curry Cashew Butter

by Sarah on March 29, 2012 · 12 comments

Just when you thought I couldn’t come up with any more nut butters…

Wait. Who am I kidding?

Y’all couldn’t have really ever thought that. I mean. Seriously.

[If you did, well--to paraphrase Parker Posey in Best In Show--"you obviously don't know my blog."]

Even before the accidental deliciousness of Dill Pickle Cashew Butter, I’d been mulling over the idea of making a savory nut butter for awhile now. And, as I tend to believe that Indian spices are by far the most enticing, it had to be you curry.

Lucky for everyone, after suffering through the longer-than-with-other-nuts-for-reasons-I-don’t-understand crushing up of cashews into butter (for the dill pickle-flavored creation)—

–it strikes me suddenly that perhaps we can consider the food processor a modern-day butter churn of sorts?–

–I saved half of my initial batch to concoct the Curry Cashew Butter of my dreams.

[OK. To be honest, the curry cashew butter of my dreams also included crystallized ginger...but just think--like Robin Williams--of What Dreams May (still) Come.]

After mixing up an assortment of spices in amounts that–I must admit–were chosen entirely at random.

…I realized that–and this is especially important for those of you without access to an overabundant and disaster of a spice cabinet–it would have been a whole lot easier to use a tablespoon or two of the curry powder I just bought from a bulk bin and called it a day.

Oh well.

A longer ingredients list makes it look like I actually came up with something ingenious.

Ingenius it may not be.

But curry-ageous it is.

[And especially tasty delicious on sweet potatoes. :) ]

Good thing I have a crazy flavor freak for a Foodie Pen Pal this month. [And that she will take that alliterative description as a complement.]

Curry Cashew Butter

• 2 cups roasted, unsalted cashews (may substitute 1 cup cashew butter)
  • 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
  • 1/2 tsp. fenugreek
  • 1/2 tsp. ground turmeric
  • 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
  • 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper
  • 1/4 tsp. ground coriander
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1/8 tsp. ground black pepper
  1. Process cashews in a food processor until a smooth, creamy nut butter forms (about 20 minutes), scraping the sides of the processor bowl at regular intervals if necessary.
  2. Add spices and seasoning.
  3. Process until well mixed.

Note: You may substitute 1 Tbsp. of your favorite curry powder for the spice list. :)

blackhuff March 29, 2012 at 7:20 am

Curry Cashewnut butter sounds not so appetizing. But will give it a try in curries. Might be good :)

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes March 29, 2012 at 7:48 am

Oh heck yes!! I am buying cashews….done. :D

Fran@ Broken Cookies Don't Count March 29, 2012 at 8:05 am

You are never at a loss for nut butter ideas, Sarah! I Love best of show and just watched it over the weekend!! I love all of Christopher Guest’s movies. What Dreams May Come was changed from the book and they made it very sad. I’m rambling…I have been on all my comments today…Curry Cashew Butter sounds wonderful! There…I got it out! Have a great day!

Sarah March 29, 2012 at 8:49 pm

I like rambling. :)

Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean March 29, 2012 at 9:06 am

i believe you’re correct, crystallized ginger would be a delish addition!

Anna @ On Anna's Plate March 29, 2012 at 11:21 am

Mmmm….looks so creamy and delicious! And I love your cute jars– very cute packaging :-)

Sonia the Mexigarian March 29, 2012 at 11:26 am

I am fascinated by those savory butters you’re making. I just dunno how I would eat them. Like you mentioned on sweet potato, but would you treat it as a hummus and spread it on other veggies like celery, broccoli, mixed in with tuna for sandwhiches?

By no means an insult, just very curious about savory butters. lol. I’m usually sprinkling in marshamllows and chocolate into the last of my almond butter jars so it’s an entirely new concept for me and my tastebuds.

Sarah March 29, 2012 at 8:49 pm

It’s been a bit of a new concept for me, too. I think they work well as a hummus substitute, or for pairing with an herbed cracker for a savory take on peanut butter crackers.

As with all nut butters, I also like to eat it with a spoon. (It’s good for when you want something salty!)

Like the discovery of savory oatmeal…it’s just a whole new world of possibility…

Mattie @ Comfy and Confident March 29, 2012 at 1:09 pm

Yup! Curried Cashew Butter sounds amazing!! I wish I could try some because I will never get around to making it.

Sarah March 29, 2012 at 8:47 pm

Well, at least you’re honest. :)

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table March 29, 2012 at 5:46 pm

Brilliant as usual, my friend. My farmers market sells curry coated cashews… how did I miss the obvious translation?!

P.S. We are going to the market when you come visit – it’s a must-see!

Alison March 31, 2012 at 1:10 am

Curry Cashew Butter?! INCREDIBLE!