Citrus Avocado Dressing

by Sarah on March 6, 2012 · 17 comments

There were an amazing assortment of delicious treats at my Second Blog Day Brunch on Sunday. From Rachel‘s ham biscuits–which obviously needed to be tested with my pimiento cheese…*

*As I am still not eating meat…and just flirting with the pairing of Lactaid and dairy products, I cannot actually vouch that it was delicious. But it was a genius idea, was it not?…to the incredible generosity of my dear friends at Love Grown Granola (which I can’t find in Charlottesville!)… …and the GIANT–and amazingly tasty–pumpkin chocolate chip muffins that Kath and Matt brought from Great Harvest*…

*Most of which are now in my freezer. Hey, I think it was Kath herself who said the best part of hosting a potluck is keeping the leftovers! :) …there was obviously no shortage of food to go around.But of all the many options of lovely, yummy food, the one item I couldn’t get out of my mind (or perhaps out of my tastebuds?) was the Citrus Avocado Dressing that Alex made to top her incredibly beautiful salad of mixed greens, strawberries, oranges, chopped asparagus(!), and sliced almonds.In an interesting turn of events, Alex accidentally ended up in town the day BEFORE brunch. Not one to turn away a lonely traveler–especially one with food in hand ;) –I was very excited to have her spend some time with me on Saturday evening to talk through not only the plan for the next day (as I busily multi-tasked, making pimiento cheese and cookies), but also her potential life plan for the next few months.I love big blogger gatherings, but a little one-on-one time is sometimes (most times?) even more special and rewarding. Plus, she left me with all of the necessary components to put together an incredible salad for brunch the next day!It was delicious on its own–seriously, girl, where did you find such outrageously flavorful oranges??–but that dressing. Oh. My. Goll. Y’all.

It was so hauntingly good that I braved a snow storm yesterday……just to get the necessary avocados to make it.(Luckily I already had some leftover orange juice from brunch to use for blending!)

I’m not sure what was more exciting–the fact that I finally used the immersion blender in all of its “smoothie attachment included” glory (as opposed to just sticking it into stew or something)…or the phenomenal sweet, creamy, utterly addictive dressing/dip/smoothie* that resulted from the blending.

*Did I actually drink it? Y’all will never know…Seriously. You must make this now. Alex is a genius. And I am reaping the incredible benefits. :) [As I lick this avocado awesomeness up with a spatula. A very tiny spatula. But a spatula nonetheless.]

Citrus Avocado Dressing

(inspired by Alex @ I Eat Asphalt)

• 1 cup mashed avocado (two small)
  • 1/2 cup or so chopped green onions, whites and greens
  • 1/4-1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1 cup orange juice
  • 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar

Combine all ingredients in a blender or smoothie maker. Process until smooth and creamy.

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat March 6, 2012 at 8:56 am

Looks like an amazing salad! I don’t know if I could part with that many avocados at once – but the dressing looks like it might be worth it! :)

Liz @ IHeartVegetables March 6, 2012 at 9:17 am

I was SO hoping this recipe would be posted becauce I seriously could have drank the dressing from the jar… (The only thing stopping me was a mild obedience to social norms)

But seriously I can’t wait to try this!

Emily March 6, 2012 at 9:35 am

I’m currently going through an avocado obsession over here. Thanks for prolonging the obsession.

Parita @ myinnershakti March 6, 2012 at 10:04 am

I love finding new ways to use avocados! This sound like something right up my alley – will be making it soon! Thanks!

Gabby @ Gabby's Gluten-Free March 6, 2012 at 10:17 am

Wow, this sounds incredible! Bummed I couldn’t make it up – next time though! Or perhaps a blogger meet up in RVA? ;)

Alex (the genius) March 6, 2012 at 10:18 am

Love love love! This post made my day. So glad everyone enjoyed the salad, I was happy to contribute and next time will be sure to actually read the date. :) But my date mix up sounds like a mighty fine excuse to make another Cville trip in the near future.

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table March 6, 2012 at 10:51 am

Is it weird that I thought “that dressing sounds like a good smoothie!” Hahaha!

Ashley @ Freckles & Spice March 6, 2012 at 12:36 pm

haha I thought the same thing! Along with those salad ingredients too. Yum

j3nn March 6, 2012 at 12:01 pm

I subscribed to your blog after finding it on Kath’s post the other day, I love it! This dressing sounds so good. I’ve been thinking about an avocado dressing lately and this just stokes that fire a little more. Can’t wait to try! Yum. :)

Sarah March 6, 2012 at 2:14 pm

Welcome to The Smart Kitchen! So happy you have you. :) [And you must try this out...I have another version I made at the same time, and I can't decide which I like more! Stay tuned for that...]

Ashley @ Freckles & Spice March 6, 2012 at 12:37 pm

That salad looks like everything I’ve been craving lately. I need to make it!
I love making my own dressings and I do not do it enough.
Also, I wanted to wish you a belated happy 2 years! Congrats.

Allie March 6, 2012 at 3:06 pm

I am obsessed with avocados right now–so this sounds extra-amazing! Although, of course all the food here looks good. And drinking it? Nothing wrong with that, haha. Every time I make a peanut sauce…well, let’s say quite a few plain spoonfuls get eaten straight out of the blender.

Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean March 7, 2012 at 7:48 am

omg yum!!! avocado sauce/dressing is on my list but i never seem to get around to it!

Brittany (Healthy Slice of Life) March 7, 2012 at 11:19 am

Avocado IN the dressing. Brilliant. Now I know what to do when David freaks out about a little brown spot on an avocado. Blend it up!

Leila @ Spinach and Skittles March 8, 2012 at 11:20 pm

ha, I’ve only used my immersion blender for soup. This sounds like the prefect recipe to change things up a bit.