Bloggers and Friends

by Sarah on March 19, 2012 · 18 comments

This weekend was chock full of bloggers and friends and bloggers who are friends and friends who are bloggers.

Saturday night featured a St. Patrick’s Day dinner featuring “very much non-vegan” colcannon, Irish cheese, a loaf of my Vegan Savoury Soda Bread …and Basil-Arugula Pesto (featuring “more than toasted” pine nuts) on Pasta and Peas. [My friends like alliteration, too. :) ]I also whipped together some “pesto hummus” using leftover basil and half a tub of roasted garlic hummus I had in the fridge. [Any excuse to use the clover-shaped serving tray!]Oh, and I solved the problem of what to do if you don’t like beer on St.Patrick’s Day. [And no, it is NOT "drink whiskey" as one member of the assembled party claimed.]Drinking green wine did not turn my teeth green…and I did not suffer any (known) consequences from the excessive concentration of artificial dye. :) A twitter conversation that spiraled quickly out of control last week resulted in me driving to Richmond on Sunday for an early afternoon blogger brunch.*

*Can you really call it brunch if it is after lunchtime? If, technically, you are eating brunch food at a late lunch hour, it is still technically brunch…but it just seems weird to me somehow.Let’s call it: #VAis4Bloggers Meet-Up 3.0.* [And yes, one day we WILL be trending on twitter.]

*If I am allowed to consider my Blog Day Brunch as a meet-up, despite one blogger coming a day early and another accidentally being left off the guest list.We chose Selba for our dining purposes, as it was close to [slash] in cute Carytown, and a had a number of gluten-free, vegan, and vegetarian options. [Although we were a bit baffled at why the baked pasta dish featuring "lamb shoulder" was considered a vegetarian possibility.]Gabby, Liz, Alexa (not a blogger, but she should be), Adrienne (who we officially voted “in” after brunch ;) ), Lauren, Brittany, and I all made it out for a lovely meal of great conversation, blog advice, and sharing of food.Although I proclaimed myself to be “the most difficult” to our waiter, in the end I ordered a straightforward, no substitutions, meal: a tofu scramble with sweet potato biscuit and rosemary roasted potatoes.I did make one special request, however: ketchup. :) The potatoes were tasty on their own, but ketchup just makes everything better sometimes. I was glad to have it, because I needed some for my tofu. To be honest, the tofu scramble promised Indian spices, but I didn’t taste any…and although it was basic, clean-tasting, and light…the flavor just wasn’t there for me.The sweet potato biscuit had the exact texture of a McDonald’s sausage biscuit from my youth, however, and tasted delicious when paired with the house apple butter. That (almost) made up for the lackluster scramble.I also had a special gift from Lauren to cheer up my tastebuds. She obviously had been reading my blog and after seeing my ode to grapefruit last week, brought me the utensil* I’ve been missing from my silverware drawer!

*As I slipped the serrated spoon into my bag, I was pretty sure another diner was going to think I was stealing spoons from the restaurant. I quickly imagined a scene involving me running through the kitchen yelling, “See?! They don’t even HAVE grapefruits here!!!!”Following lunch with The Virginia Bloggers–obviously an elite club, since I made that a capitalized, proper noun–I visited a friend to bloggers everywhere: the trader named Joe.It really shouldn’t seem that special to me, as I’m less than an hour from it now, but it is special. And I do go a bit crazy.But three things of hummus ain’t (that) bad! [And technically, it was two hummi and a dip, since The Trader understands that dips cannot be called hummus unless they involve chickpeas.]And yes, I purposely left my HEB reusable shopping bag in the car so that I could bring home a Trader Joe’s paper bag. I have nothing to say about that really.It was a lovely afternoon that had begun with a lovely morning, when my dear friend Lizzy came by with coffee for a relaxing ‘catch-up.’* [Yes, I did save these cups from the trash so that I could take a picture of them after she left. It's how I (blog) roll.]

*just as enjoyable as the kind I used on my ‘taters’ and tofu later in the day…And just when you thought my blogger [slash] friend [slash] blogger-friend life couldn’t get any better, I received not one……but TWO blogger exchange packages in the mail…from two people who obviously know my tastebuds better than I do myself. [You'll have to wait to hear more about those though. ;) ]Truth be told, I needed this weekend. After Mr. Mason Jar and I parted ways (yes, that is a euphemism for “broke up”)¬†last week, one of the things he said had stuck with me: “All you ever talk about is your friends, your blog, and your students.”

Well. Yeah.

When you have such good friends, and a hobby that brings you even MORE great friends…well, what else would you want to talk about?

[More on my students later. :) ]

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes March 19, 2012 at 6:43 am

I need to get one of those tools! :)

Gabby @ Gabby's Gluten-Free March 19, 2012 at 8:40 am

It was great seeing you yesterday! Please tell me that guacamole hummus is the best thing ever because I think I need it in my life.

Tricia @ Saving room for dessert March 19, 2012 at 8:47 am

Such fun! I need a trip to Trader Joe’s. I’m on a quest to find the best pistachio cream available in the US. Any ideas? Nice group of pretty blogger girls!

Brittany March 19, 2012 at 9:07 am

Great to see you yesterday Sarah! I’m glad your trip to TJ’s was a successful one. Let us know what you think of the guacamole hummus. I’m really curious.

Liz @ iheartvegetables March 19, 2012 at 9:25 am

You and your green wine are too freaking adorable!

I’m SO glad I got to see you yesterday!!! (And Alexa loved meeting you, too!) Seriously, #VAis4bloggers is the next big thing ;)

I still get excited going to Trader Joe’s… and I go all the time. haha

Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers March 19, 2012 at 9:50 am

Looks like a fun (and delicious) weekend to me! I’m glad neither of us suffered consequences from excessive dye. Luckily, I was able to order most of my beers dye-free, but I wasn’t about to waste the dyed ones either. ;)

Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean March 19, 2012 at 10:03 am

love that green wine!!

Anna @ On Anna's Plate March 19, 2012 at 10:50 am

Awww…such fun blogger meet-ups! Makes me wish more bloggers lived in my area!

The green wine– LOVE it. Brilliant.

Brittany (Healthy Slice of Life) March 19, 2012 at 11:11 am

Sounds like quite a fun blogger brunch! And the green wine seemed to work well… just don’t try a trick like that in Ireland ;)

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table March 19, 2012 at 11:45 am

We had a blogger brunch too! Wouldn’t it be awesome if we could have a VA-GA meet up? *dreams*

Funny – I had a similar brunch. No biscuit… and you KNOW I’m drooling over the thought of a sweet potato biscuit.

P.S. Screw Mr. Jar-Head. Come see me so we can eat squash and ramble on about friend, blogs, and work all day long.

Fran@ Broken Cookies Don't Count March 19, 2012 at 12:01 pm

Sounds like a great weekend. Sorry about Mr. Mason Jar…or is it a good thing?

Sarah March 20, 2012 at 2:41 pm

I think, in the end, we will learn (once again) that everything happens for a reason. :)

Candy @ Healthy In Candy Land March 19, 2012 at 1:55 pm

That Lentil Masala dip from TJ’s is so good! I recreated it when I had it last summer (recipe is on the blog) because my husband and I loved it so much.
Obviously, Mason Jar Dude didn’t “get” you–his loss for sure.

Katie @ Nutrition in a Peanut Shell March 19, 2012 at 7:08 pm

Looks like so much fun! I wish more bloggers lived around me..or that we all lived around each other. I love the two who have their DSLRs out.
And oof- Mr. Mason Jar! That was kind of rude, but then you deserve someone better. And those are really awesome things. So you shouldn’t feel bad.

Seema March 20, 2012 at 5:57 pm

Now that MJ is out of the picture…you can still pursue #43 on your culinary bucket list :)
#43: Meet (marry?) Adam Richman

For what it’s worth, I love hearing about your friends, blog, students, food creations, silliness, creative ideas, recipe name alliterations, etc and I’m SURE there are tons of people who agree with me

teabagginit March 21, 2012 at 9:38 am

okay, i’m doing major blog ketchup (get it?) and i say good riddance to that rotten apple. he’s obviously one grape short of a bunch and you should only make room in your life for the SWEET potatoes. what an egg head to not appreciate you!
ahh, im such a dork. :)
but seriously, prize yourself as if you were saffron. you’re that special!

Sarah March 23, 2012 at 6:14 am

Comment of the week goes to….YOU. ;)

Lele March 24, 2012 at 8:21 pm

Mr. Mason Jar sounds like Regina George in Mean Girls.
“All he ever talks about is school, and his mom, and his friends”
“… Is that bad?!”

Sheesh. You talk about worthwhile things. There are too many boys who just want you to talk about themmmm.