What (Mama Smart) Ate Wednesday

by Sarah on February 22, 2012 · 19 comments

We now find ourselves arriving to Part Three of The Smart Kitchen series entitled “Wining & Dining Mama Smart.” With my mom in town last weekend, I knew from the minute we sat down to our first meal together–at Whole Foods, naturally–that the theme of this week’s blogger potluck (hosted, as always, by the lovely Jenn) would be What (Mama Smart) Ate Wednesday.*

*And yes, I did announce that to the table upon sitting down and whipping out my camera.Of course, we should love our mamas all year long, and not just in this month of February, but today I choose to celebrate loving what my mama ate. And, well, what I ate, too. [Because it was good, y'all!]After starting the weekend off with a wine pouring at Beer Run, we moseyed on to Whole Foods for dinner, because when no one knows what they want, that’s the best place to find out what you didn’t know you needed.I wish I could tell you exactly what Mama Smart crammed into her hot bar brown bowl–I recognize steamed Italian veggies, curry tempeh, sauteed greens, and BBQ––but one thing ‘mommy and me’ have in common is our relentless, random attack of salad bars of all shapes and sizes.Unlike Mama Smart, I needed to spritz and drizzle on some extra accessories.*

*Ones which, contrary to Rachel‘s assumption, I did not pull from my purse. [Although that totally could have happened.]Even though Mama Smart doesn’t share my predeliction for Bragg’s and ketchup––nor my desire to use chopsticks on every occasion at which they are an option– because she loves me, she doesn’t judge.All the carousing through Charlottesville wine country made ‘mommy and me’ quite hungry. Lucky for all of us, The Mill Creek Market was on the way to vineyards galore.Mama Smart needed her fix of good, salty Kite’s Country Ham, so she went with the Keswick, featuring said ham, along with Swiss cheese, honey mustard, and the Market’s famous (in my memory, anyway) herbed mayo.I abandoned my usual Ednam–bacon, turkey, Havarti, avocado–for a veg-friendly Ivy– on sunflower seed bread. I added roasted red peppers, scratched the mayo, and realized that sprouts and avocado are an all-to-scrumptious duo.Perhaps the most surprising meal came following our wine-filled day and swanky dinner at Hamilton’s on Saturday night. Waking up, as per usual, fairly early on Sunday morning, we decided to do something unusual for us and nix our ordinary mommy-and-me bowls of oats for a breakfast out.All through college, I heard about The Bluegrass Grill & Bakery. Having won countless “Best of Cville” awards for its famous breakfast, I was always told I “just had to” go. It’s the kind of place where, having arrived 15 minutes before opening on a Sunday morning, there is already a line formed at the door. It’s also the kind of place where coffee comes in mismatched mugs.Lucky for Mama Smart and me, we were able to snag a table for two right after the doors opened for business. Mama Smart went was about to place an order for two eggs over easy with grits and dry whole wheat toast (what she always orders on the fairly rare occasion she dines out for breakfast)……but I stopped her and told her that Bluegrass was reknowned for their whole wheat muffin-esque, ginormous biscuits, which–of course–we shared.As for my breakfast, I did something shocking and ordered a big, hearty, filling meal. Noticing the Gaia’s Revenge, a vegan hash–somewhat ironically–located just above both Bacon Candy and Chocolate-Covered Bacon on the menu…I, happily, could not resist ordering both it, and a side of fruit.Oh my goll, y’all…this was incredible: slightly spicy soy chorizo sauteed with onions, mushrooms, spinach, and tomatoes on top of what was undoubtedly the star of this show–super peppery home fries made with red potatoes.

Do you see the crisp on those babies???As will all of our other meals over the weekend, both ’mommy-and-me’ cleaned our plates.Like mama (Smart), like daughter (Smart): we know good food when we see it.

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table February 22, 2012 at 12:27 am

Your description of the WF Hot Bar is right on. You should probably copywrite that and sell it to them. :)

Jessica February 22, 2012 at 2:07 am

I am totally jealous of your WFs stop! Everything looks so tasty! Way to “love your veggies” :)

Healthiful Balance February 22, 2012 at 6:25 am

I agree, we should love our moms all year around. :) All the food looks delicious!

Fran@ Broken Cookies Don't Count February 22, 2012 at 7:28 am

The hash looks heavenly! (please excuse the alliteration) That would be a wonderful thing to make at home if I could find soy chorizo!

Michelle {lively kitchen} February 22, 2012 at 7:31 am

I hope my daughter some day wants to share a day of eating with me! She does now, but that’s because I make all her food and she has no choice. So, to rephrase, I hope she chooses to spend a day with me when she grows up. :)

I’m impressed that restaurant had such an impressive vegan dish, you know, with the bacon candy at all. I figured you’d be relegated to toast.

Tessa @ Amazing Asset February 22, 2012 at 8:08 am

Hahaha I enjoyed that description of the WF hot bar! Spot on if you ask me :) You certainly did well in loving your veggies this week!

Parita @ myinnershakti February 22, 2012 at 8:23 am

All of that sounds delicious – especially that veggie sandwich and the soy chorizo dish! I love finding amazing veggie meals when I eat out. I love it even more when my dish full of vegetables makes the meat eaters at the table jealous!

Alex February 22, 2012 at 8:26 am

Bluegrass Grill is probably my favorite breakfast spot in Cville. It was the first restaurant I’d gone to in the area.

Kaila @healthyhelperblog! February 22, 2012 at 8:29 am

I love how you customized the WIAW badge!! So cute!! And those whole wheat biscuits look incredible!!

Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean February 22, 2012 at 8:40 am

haha love that your mom likes crazy salads like you do :)

Kati Mora, MS, RD, Kellogg's FiberPlus(R) Wellness Advocate February 22, 2012 at 9:56 am

Look at all those bright colored veggies! What a great way to boost your fiber intake and improve the nutritional quality of your day.

Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers February 22, 2012 at 1:05 pm

I know good food when I see it too, and now I also know that I need to start eating out with you two!

Mandiee February 22, 2012 at 3:47 pm

My mom and I are really close, too; she’s like my best friend + role model all in one. We don’t always eat the same, but we definitely respect each other’s preferences. And when I pull something out of my purse (nooch, braggs, you name it), she totally doesn’t judge. I love that I’m not the only one who uses chopsticks at every chance haha. They’re awesome for salads (just like the yummy one you ate!).

Have a lovely day!

Candy @ Healthy In Candy Land February 22, 2012 at 4:56 pm

How fun to hang out with your mom, enjoying such yummy food. That sandwich looks awesome!

Katie @ Raisins&Apples February 22, 2012 at 5:49 pm

Your Mommy & Me WIAW button is beyond perfect!

Katie @ Nutrition in a peanut shell February 22, 2012 at 7:43 pm

You + your mom know how to have a good time! Maybe it’s a mom thing to always order the same dish…cause my mom does it everywhere too :)

Tt in nyc February 22, 2012 at 10:10 pm

This was so adorable!! What a great idea to show what both of you ate… Now im just terribly jealous and wishing my mom would visit…(im in nyc amd shes in cali)

Rachel @ My Naturally Frugal Family February 23, 2012 at 1:28 pm

I want your breakfast…completely delicious!

Alyse February 23, 2012 at 7:36 pm

What a fun day with your mom! The WF salad bar is paradise. Overwhelming paradise :)

And biscuits. Oh my. Anytime there are biscuits on a brunch menu, I have to order them.