What I Ate (Valentine’s) Day

by Sarah on February 15, 2012 · 20 comments

My Valentine’s Day treat bag runneth over.Ah, yes. There’s nothing like a holiday to make you remember why you love teaching elementary school.

It seems only appropriate (and I’m sure I’m not the only one) to turn this Jenn-host(ess)ed blogger celebration we call What I Ate Wednesday into a celebration of love…be it friendly, familial, or, well, that other kind.I actually received a surprise valentine (or do we capitalize it–Valentine–even though it’s not the only one, and technically not a proper noun?) before the flurry of kid-scribbled paper cards and purchased-at-the-last-minute drugstore candy*: I was shown some love when my homemade, Bucket List sauerkraut was featured on Daily Buzz Healthy Living’s website as part of their Top 9: DIY Kitchen Ingredients! Who knew I really WAS so ‘smart’ in the kitchen?

*Not that I don’t love it all…Breakfast came following a rather chaotic morning of parents bringing in treats (as a masquerade for attempting impromtu parent-teacher conferences), kids wanting to pass out their cards, and me attempting to lead us in some semblence of morning work involving synonyms and antonyms for love (and loathe).

It was worth the wait.

I chose to forego my usual plain and simple for a little dressed and fancy in honor of the day.*

*And yes, I did bring in a “real” bowl as opposed to my Corningware bowl [slash] mug to class things up a bit. I mean, I couldn’t let all of those gorgeous strawberries I had purchased to bring in to my kids instead of candy go to waste, right?* [Not that they would have. Kids love fruit for treats.]

*No I have not become the person on the street passing out apples or carrots on Halloween.^

^Yet.I also happened to have an abundance of Texas Rio Star Grapefuits that I’d received in the mail. (God Bless Texas!) So it seemed only right to slice some up and…

…store them in a jar?*

*Hey, we are low on Tup-faux-ware. And that stuff is expensive.Warmed grapefruit on cinnamon oatmeal might sound weird…but it was absolutely, love-inducingly delicious. [Even if the oats did end up broken-hearted.]I was actually quite impressed that the parents at my school sent in so many healthy treats for the kids. Sure, there were some red velvet cupcakes, and we could talk in circles about whether or not Capri Sun is a fine drink or just an accident waiting to happen….but the plethora of fruit provided was incredible, and I loved that kids were asking for grapes and apples throughout the day, not more cupcakes or candy.I munched on quite a few strawberries and grapes throughout the morning while giving two tests–I’m horrible–and then showing Be My Valentine, Charlie Brown. [Thank you abc.com!]

[Source]

Lunch was some of the Sweet Potato Samosa Soup I made over the weekend…along with more strawberries and grapes.You know, my class might Love That Dog, but I love date pieces rolled in oat flour. Seriously, y’all can keep your Larabars, and just give me handfuls of those bulk-bin beauties. [I was not as enthused about the Dulce de Leche Cheerios, Weetabix, Honey Sunshine, and dried blueberries. I mean, they are tasty...but they are no chopped dates.]Did I mention I ate a lot of strawberries and grapes? As in, I might have eaten a pound of grapes and a whole clamshell container of strawberries by myself? [I'm sorry. But nature's candy is the kind of candy I love.]

Arriving home, I decided to continue with the theme of the day and eat a snackworthy bowl of love.Love Grown Granola, that is.* Along with puffed quinoa, almond milk, and more date pieces.^

*What? Too obvious?

^I told you. I’m in love.Speaking of dates, I actually have one. A real life (male) valentine–again, should that be capitalized?– for the very first time. [One that's not Papa Smart.] Mr. Mason Jar is taking me to dinner, and I promised myself I’d finish my WIAW post before we left, and not worry about the rest of the evening’s photos (for now).

After all, I promised you What I Ate (Valentine’s) Day.

I said nothing about Valentine’s Night.

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table February 15, 2012 at 12:31 am

Look at you with your fancy date. :) Hope you had a GREAT time. Happy V-Day-WIAW!

Fran@ Broken Cookies Don't Count February 15, 2012 at 4:10 am

Sarah, congrats on having your ‘kraut featured on Daily Buzz…How Exciting! Hope you enjoyed your date and I can’t wait to hear all about it!

Healthiful Balance February 15, 2012 at 4:32 am

I want to eat everything in this post. It all looks so delicious!

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes February 15, 2012 at 6:40 am

Great eats! Happy (belated) WIAW Valentines :D

Alex@Spoonful of Sugar Free February 15, 2012 at 7:41 am

Love that kids are asking for fruit now instead of candy! (although, they still probably ate a plethora of candy when home :P ) Hope you had a great date, Happy (belated) Valentine’s Day!

Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean February 15, 2012 at 7:45 am

yay for date night! also, confession…i didn’t know people actually ate grapefruit in segments like that. i thought everyone ate it sliced in half with one of those weird spoons #clearlyagrapefruitrookie

Parita @ myinnershakti February 15, 2012 at 8:24 am

Great eats as usual! Those strawberries are so bright and red – perfect for V Day! And I hope your date went amazingly well! :)

teabagginit February 15, 2012 at 8:59 am

happy valentine’s day and i hope you had a GREAT date! :) and i hope he wasn’t covered in oat flour! … unless that’s what you’re in to.
ps – i have no self control around fruit. i’ve eaten a WHOLE watermelon (not baby sized) by myself in a day. bad idea. i had that bad idea twice.

Lindsay @ Fuel My Family February 15, 2012 at 10:06 am

I havent heard of puffed quinoa. I need to find some, we love quinoa in our house!

Courtney @ Fitness With A Fork February 15, 2012 at 10:38 am

I LOVE that you brought the kids fruit instead of candy! If only there were more teachers like you! ps-I will totally be the person handing out fruit on Halloween…I’ll make it look festive hahaha

Tricia @ Saving room for dessert February 15, 2012 at 1:19 pm

I’ve missed your fruit and vege distribution at school! You go girl. Congratulations on the article – you know your blog-dad loves sauerkraut. And, I can’t wait for date details – not TMI – just enough to make us smile!

Laura February 15, 2012 at 2:33 pm

Yay for parents who bring in fruit! I’m one of those, too. :) Congrats on the sauerkraut, I’ve always wanted to try making it… I’ll have to check it out.

Michelle {lively kitchen} February 15, 2012 at 2:34 pm

Cheers to new Valentines! Or valentines. You’re the teacher and if you don’t know about the capitalization rules, then I’m not sweating it.

My daughter’s school didn’t do a party and I was a little disappointed. Glad your kiddos got to have one. They are lucky kids to have you in front of them each day!

Tessa @ Amazing Asset February 15, 2012 at 3:39 pm

Yayyy that is great you bring in healthy treats too! And following the holiday theme quit well :) I am sure people appreciated that !

Hannah@mindrunningwild February 15, 2012 at 5:59 pm

Look at you with your featured ness! AND being a teacher makes you feel loved, I bet. Working with kids either makes you feel like they hate you or they love you. And we always hope for the latter, don’t we?
grapefuruit in a jar, why didn’t I think of that? maybe because the grapefruit I buy are as large as possible. And I’m too much of a cheap skate to buy nut butter s that large? I could slice it and put it in a jar and take it out again, but until then I’ll stick to plate.
I feel like when I am/if I were a teacher I would find it hard not to think about when my students were drinking sugar water and double fisting sugar O’s. Please tell me how you do it!
I just got those powdered dates today but had no idea that they were coated in oat dust! Interesting thought no wonder they lend themselves so well to….everything.
and who is this Mr. Mason jar? I must hear more of him!

Ashley @ Freckles & Spice February 15, 2012 at 6:27 pm

Congrats on your sauerkraut and new boy! I recently become a sauerkraut lover.
And I completely am on board with you and the flour dusted dates. My bf has this Post Great Grains cereal that contain them, and I’ve been picking them out of it. He needs not find out about this…

Candy @ Healthy In Candy Land February 15, 2012 at 7:41 pm

Congrats on the Buzz feature! I love all the fruit for the class party too. I was pleasantly surprised at my boys’ class parties–sure there were a few sugar-laden treats, but there were also a lot of healthy options, and I saw plates full of the healthier options that made me ridiculously happy. And water! They drank water instead of juice!
Hope you had a LOVE-ly date night.

Katie @ Nutrition in a peanut shell February 15, 2012 at 9:05 pm

Oh I miss elementary school where Valentine’s day was such a big thing! I used to spend hours getting ready! Decorating my “mailbox”, picking cards, deciding who I wanted the biggest card to go to…what fun! We never really had treats though. Our school has a policy that we can’t serve it if sugar is the first ingredient….but it says nothing about 2nd or 3rd. It’s normally not the parties that get everyone hyped up, it’s the terrible school lunches! They must fail every nutritional guideline…seriously.

Okay, back on topic: it all looks delicious and very “lovely!” (I couldn’t resist) And Mr. Mason Jar with the knives? I’d swoon too ;)

Katie @ Nutrition in a peanut shell February 15, 2012 at 9:06 pm

Oh and congratulations on the feature! You are very very intelligent in the kitchen…as if we already didn’t know that though

Clare February 16, 2012 at 3:28 am

Nature’s candy is definitely the best.. LOVE strawberries! Delicious looking eats, your snack bowl looks awesome! Hope you had a good Valentines Day :)