Three Times The Quinoa

by Sarah on February 29, 2012 · 32 comments

I know Jenn proposed a Love Your Veggies theme for this month’s What I Ate Wednesday celebration of the good, the bad, and the random in what we’ve been eating, but I’m pretty sure these past few weeks, I’ve not only been loving my veggies…but also my veggie proteins. Specifically, I think The Smart Kitchen has been on its own Love Your Quinoa kick.

Of course when there’s oncetwicethree times the quinoa…..it’s easy to fall in love.[It is not as easy to pour quinoa flakes from their plastic bulk bin procurement pouch into a glass jar. But that's an entirely different song altogether.*]

*I have no idea what song. But I’m sure there is one. After my adventures in quinoa cookie-baking [followed by more adventures in quinoa cookie-baking]……well, all of that leftover quinoa needed somewhere to go.Some ended up in a Garbanzo + Grain “Burger” concoction that I can’t wait to share with y’all soon.Some was stacked in a jar underneath an impromptu smoked paprika-infused stew of tomatoes and greens. [And then eaten for lunch at school.]A few lucky scoops of quinoa got to participate in one of my most commonly compiled dishes which I call ”WTH is in the fridge that needs to be eaten that can logically–or illogically–be put into a bowl?” [or 'Very Large Salad' for short ;) ]

What about the puffed quinoa you buy in bulk, Miss Smart? What do you do with that?

Well, my curious quinoa-consuming compatriots, that’s obvious.

My (nearly) nightly bowl of cereal, fruit, and almond milk tastes all the better with the crunch of some quinoa puffs. [Dulce de Leche Cheerios and Barbara's Shredded Oats Cinnamon Crunch are crazy for quinoa.]As for those difficult-to-transfer-but-delicious-to-eat quinoa flakes I showed you earlier, well, I usually just eat them as a side dish or snack at school, mixed with a little oat bran, or perhaps brown rice flakes. [And maybe topped with delicata squash rings...]They cook up like oatmeal, and if you mix in a whole mess of pizza seasoning and nutritional yeast……well, it definitely kills a pizza craving in a dairy-free 200-calories or less.

But the best thing I ate with quinoa? [OK, the best thing I ate with the quinoa flakes?*]

*Hey, all that other stuff was REALLY tasty, too…This savory–which I always want to right savoury because I feel like it better expresses the nature of the flavor in a visual form–set was topped with a simply improvised stir-fry of green and yellow peppers, Braggs’-coated eggplant, mushrooms, and tomatoes…all topped off with a nice slug of Mae Ploy sweet chile sauce.

How could I not Love My Quinoa (and My Veggies) after that?

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table February 29, 2012 at 12:25 am

Fabulous tribute to quinoa! I think Jenn will forgive you. ;)

A friend told me the other day she’d never had quinoa. I nearly died… guess what I’m using at the base for the dish I’m bringing to her dinner party next week!

Sarah March 1, 2012 at 8:03 am

Dude, Stepmama Smart didn’t know what it was either! Can you believe it? I nearly died when she told me.

Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean February 29, 2012 at 1:05 am

uh yes…get me that burger recipe asap

Sarah March 1, 2012 at 8:02 am

it’s coming…. ;)

Aimee February 29, 2012 at 7:37 am

Quinoa is so yum! I’ve just started eating it more and I love seeing these new ways to eat it. I didn’t even know they had quinoa puffs and flakes! So much to learn… and I really want to try the Garbanzo + Grain “Burger” so def share that sooooon!

crazycookingcouple February 29, 2012 at 7:40 am

That is a lot of quinoa for sure. We have never had it though ekkk!! We have it but have not made it so maybe that burger recipe will push us in the right direction

Sarah March 1, 2012 at 8:05 am

I should be posting it next week!

Liz @ iheartvegetables February 29, 2012 at 7:51 am

When Kat (from Katshealthyblog) did a guest post for me, she made quinoa cookies! That was the first time I’d seen them!
Are the Dulce de Leche Cheerios good?? I saw them at the store yesterday but went with cinnamon instead…

Sarah March 1, 2012 at 8:02 am

They are good, although a bit sweet to be honest. I like them mixed with other cereals best. They do make the milk taste really creamy and delicious! The Peanut Butter ones are better. :)

Fran@ Broken Cookies Don't Count February 29, 2012 at 8:01 am

The eggplant and veggie dish looks wonderful…but then I’m a stir-fry kind of gal!!

Alex@Spoonful of Sugar Free February 29, 2012 at 8:07 am

LOVE quinoa!!! So much protein!

Parita @ myinnershakti February 29, 2012 at 8:43 am

Quinoa is a vegetarian’s dream! I love it! I definitely want to try your quinoa cookies – they look delicious!

Alexis @fitpossible February 29, 2012 at 8:46 am

I am a huge Quinoa lover too! I have yet to see the Quinoa flakes though, I am now going to be on the hunt for these.

Sarah March 1, 2012 at 8:00 am

Ancient Harvest makes them…and you can sometimes find them with the oatmeal and whatnot at the grocery store. If you are lucky enough to stumble upon them in bulk bins, they are cheaper. :)

Katie @ Nutrition in a peanut shell February 29, 2012 at 10:23 am

I have quinoa sitting in my cabinet but I’m still lost as what to do with it.
You’re giving me some serious inspiration though :)

Sarah March 1, 2012 at 8:00 am

I think I just wrote this in another comment, but my favorite “intro” to quinoa is just to substitute it for pasta with a veggie-ful tomato sauce. Great texture, and easy to do. :)

Tessa @ Amazing Asset February 29, 2012 at 11:29 am

What a great tribute to quinoa! Gosh this stuff is so amazing for you and completely versatile, as you have shown :)

MassachusEATS February 29, 2012 at 12:37 pm

I love quinoa & am always on the lookout for new ideas for it, so thank you lots! Everything looks/sounds fabulous!

Jessica February 29, 2012 at 12:43 pm

I love quinoa, but don’t make it nearly enough! Your ideas are great inspiration!

Lindsay @ Running the Windy City February 29, 2012 at 12:59 pm

I heart quinoa and I love the idea of killing a pizza craving with noochy, pizza-y quinoa. Yum!

Dana February 29, 2012 at 2:23 pm

i LOVE quinoa too! Thanks for sharing all of these great ideas! I’ve never heard of quinoa flakes or quinoa puffs but I am very curious to try them now….

Sarah March 1, 2012 at 7:59 am

LOVE quinoa flakes (and puffs)! Both of them sort of require “mixing” though, I think. Puffs add nice texture to a cereal mix, but are pretty ‘blah’ on their own. I find that mixing the flakes with other cooking grains (oats, oat bran, rice flakes, etc.) helps smooth ‘em out a bit.

Michelle {lively kitchen} February 29, 2012 at 2:30 pm

I’ve got a box of quinoa flakes that have never been opened. I love that pizza flavored quinoa idea. I’m on a savory snack kick (which is so unlike me) and that would fit the bill nicely.

giggled at the salad commentary….

Allie February 29, 2012 at 2:42 pm

What great idea for using quinoa! I love the stuff (although I’ve never tried the puffed version, I’m intrigued now…), although I find I like the flakes most when I do them 50/50 with another breakfast grain option (like oat bran!).

Sarah March 1, 2012 at 7:58 am

I agree…I tried them on their own once and for some reason they just weren’t appealing. Why? One never knows…

Jen @ Homemadeadventure February 29, 2012 at 9:17 pm

I love quinoa. Everything looks soo good! I will have to try to find puffed quinoa to add to my breakfast rotations soon!

Nikki February 29, 2012 at 9:36 pm

I just bought quinoa for the FIRST TIME!!! I am so excited to give it a try!!! Everything you showed in this post looks delicious!!

Sarah March 1, 2012 at 7:57 am

I’m so excited FOR you. :) A really easy way to ‘start’ is substitute cooked quinoa for pasta with a veggie-stocked tomato sauce. I love the texture it gives to a ‘saucy’ dish!

caloricandcrazy March 1, 2012 at 12:01 pm

Quinoa is so amazing <3

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli March 2, 2012 at 9:40 am

”WTH is in the fridge that needs to be eaten that can logically–or illogically–be put into a bowl?” [or 'Very Large Salad' for short ] <- Um, yeah, I know that recipe VERY well! ;)

Ahhh, the are so many delicious things in this post! I love the savoury (and you are so right about using this spelling…even it my computer underlines it in a harsh squiggly red line indicating that it is not a fan) bowl of quinoa flakes. I could put sauteed peppers on just about anything!

I've never tried puffed quinoa, but I do like adding puffed millet to my yogurt bowls…because on their own, they taste a bit like something you'd find in a FedEx package! Aren't the Dulce de Leche Cheerios insane? They've found their way into my meals just about every day this week!

Diana @ VeggieNextDoor March 2, 2012 at 9:15 pm

That Puffed Quinoa sounds awesome! I’m also drooling over that giant, colorful salad. I love a hefty salad!

Sünne March 3, 2012 at 5:22 pm

Aaah, makes me want to get quinoa again, too. Too bad I have enough grains to use up before …

You can totally write it “savoury” seeing as that’s what the English do :) !