Presidential Cherry Crumble

by Sarah on February 20, 2012 · 13 comments

Even though she was gone, Mama Smart’s influence in my weekend lived on….as I pulled her famous, magical (at least in my mind) granola pan out from its hiding place in the kitchen.*

*Away from any “accidental” baking or roasting incidents caused by roommates. This pan is only for granola.

In honor of President’s Day today, I decided to create a recipe for Chia Cherry Cashew Granola, featured today on Breathe Magazine’s blog.After all, when you think about presidents and food, your mind probably jumps immediately to the famed cherry tree that Washington chose not to cut down as a child.

[Source]

Of course you might instead think of peanuts, as Jimmy Carter was a peanut farmer. But I didn’t have peanuts in the pantry. And the opportunity for alliteration–chia, cherry, cashew–was simply too enticing to avoid.[Because, as a former UVa student, I tend to believe Thomas Jefferson was the only president to ever live (or at least the only one worth talking about), I did also think about the fact that Jefferson's favorite vegetable was peas, and that he was responsible for bringing macaroni and cheese to the United States, but I somehow couldn't rationalize making a granola with peas and cheddar cheese.]But after I made the granola, I got to thinking…why does Valentine’s Day get all the fancy, romanc-ey desserts? Was George Washington not described by one of my fifth graders as “an brave man, who led our nation with honor”? And don’t we all want to find an noble, steadfast man to call our own?

[Source]

I mean…he’s no Thomas Jefferson, but…*

*The man even looks good Medusad. (Translation: “in stone”)[Source]

How about you whip up a romantical–and yes, I meant to say “romantical”–dessert for the President or First Lady in your life tonight? How about an instant, granola-topped Cherry Crumble built for two (or just you ;) )?

You’ll need two ramekins, and 2 1/2 cups of frozen cherries.Divy up the cherries (still frozen) into the ramekins, add a dash of orange or lemon juice, and sprinkle in some sucanat or other brown sugar. Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes. Remove from the oven, and take a shot or two of cherry juice* if it’s getting a bit too soupy. (Cherry soup…now there’s an idea.)

*Consider it an opportunity to aid in muscle recovery after the workout you may or may not have just completed.Sprinkle on some of your newly baked Chia Cherry Granola and return the ramekins to the oven for another 10 or so minutes.You can leave it in a bit longer, of course, but I like my cherries alliteratively chunky. (And also, apparently, slightly radioactively red?)Sweet, simple, and just slightly seductive. Why not bring the sexy back to President’s Day? [Or put sexy where it never was before? ;) ]

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table February 20, 2012 at 10:48 am

Holla at Jimmy Carter from Georgia! :)

Frozen cherries may be the best frozen invention ever. Hiding pans is definitely the best IDEA ever (I’m guilty as well).

princesslila February 20, 2012 at 11:18 am

The granola looks amazing!
Lol I love this post – mainly because I was obsessed with the presidents (and American history in general) when I was growing up. It probably wouldn’t be an exaggeration to say that my first crush was on good old Thomas Jefferson. Yeah…I was a strange child…

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat February 20, 2012 at 11:40 am

This looks amazing – love the title, too. :) I’m obsessed with cherries and can’t wait until they’re in season again!

Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather February 20, 2012 at 2:11 pm

That looks kind (super) amazing!!! A very presidential dessert ;)

Laura February 20, 2012 at 2:48 pm

Yum! This looks awesome. I haven’t made granola in months… partly because I plow through it way too quickly. :) Love the ingredients in your version!

Liz @ iheartvegetables February 20, 2012 at 4:52 pm

WOAH! We are like on the same recipe wavelength! I just bought these adorable little single serving tart pan things and I was like “This would be perfect for some kind of berry cobbler/crumble type thing” and I’ve been googling recipes all weekend! Crazy!

Tessa @ Amazing Asset February 20, 2012 at 7:12 pm

Mmmm that granola looks phenomenal! Thanks for the recipe lady :)

Mattie @ Comfy & Confident February 20, 2012 at 10:47 pm

That granola looks amazing!I have yet to make homemade granola, but you are motivating me!

Alex@Spoonful of Sugar Free February 21, 2012 at 8:11 am

Nummy nummy nummy. I need to get me some cherries.

Fran@ Broken Cookies Don't Count February 21, 2012 at 8:33 am

This all sounds wonderful! And I love “fancy, romanc-ey!” Is Jefferson really responsible for bring macaroni and cheese to the U.S.?!? Thank you, Tom!!

Sarah February 21, 2012 at 2:24 pm

He is responsible indeed. (Or at least that is as legend would have it!) Apparently he had it while Ambassador to France and then had his chef at Monticello recreate it…something like that.

Tt in nyc February 22, 2012 at 10:33 pm

This looks amazing! And your little, *ahem* “workout” comment had me laughing out loud. Literally. To myself. On the bus in nyc. In other words, no one noticed enough for me to get embarresed.