My Non-Vegan Vice

by Sarah on February 25, 2012 · 10 comments

Sometimes you get a craving that just will not be denied.

Sure, I guess I could try to utilize the vegan mayo I just bought–only because it was marked down to $3.00 from $7.00–but the good Southern gal in me (no matter where I might have grown up) knows there’s just no way that pre-shredded vegan “cheese” will ever get the melty creaminess of grating extra sharp cheddar by hand.

[Don't think I'm not planning to try it out though...when daiya goes on sale, of course.]P.S. Why do I find such joyous delight in the moment you lift up the box grater and all the cheese tumbles out?And there’s just no getting around the need for the real deal sometimes. [Well, fine, a slightly healthier-if-you-squint-when-you-look-at-it "real deal."]And generic accompaniments just won’t do; you simply MUST splurge on the name brand dippers.The reason I could never be 100% vegan my entire life?

Say (pimiento) cheese.[Lactaid is standing by.]

Baking Serendipity February 25, 2012 at 3:04 pm

Mayo I can do without, but I am way too into real dairy cheese to be vegan.

Maria February 25, 2012 at 7:58 pm

Ahhh, you are so right about grating your own cheese. There’s nothing like it! And it’s cheaper…

I’ve tried Daiya before and it went straight to the garbage. Ick. Though I’m sure others don’t have quite as strong of a gag reflex as I do.

Katie @ Nutrition in a peanut shell February 25, 2012 at 8:04 pm

I take solace in sticking my hand in the cheese grater and getting that last pit stuck inside :)

I have a lot of friends that say they could never be vegan because they’d miss pizza. I wholeheartedly agree.

Hopefully your stomach doesn’t rebel too bad!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table February 25, 2012 at 10:57 pm

LOL! You ARE Southern. I think there’s a growing “Vegan with Benefits” movement over on my blog too… :)

Katie @ Raisins&Apples February 26, 2012 at 7:01 am

I, too, get a kick of excitement when the cheese has been grated! All that ‘work’ and then BAM…a mountain of cheese.

Fran@ Broken Cookies Don't Count February 26, 2012 at 7:53 am

Ok, did I miss a link to a recipe because I NEED one!! That looks so good. And I’m the same way. Cheese is probably the major reason I have not become vegan. I don’t think I could give up real cheese…of course I didn’t think I could ever give up chips but I did for Lent last year and have not eaten them since. But cheese? That’s it’s own food group isn’t it? ;-)

Sarah February 26, 2012 at 2:41 pm
teabagginit February 26, 2012 at 11:07 am

i know that this might immediately label me a freak – but i can’t stand mayo or cheese! sushi, on the other hand, that’s why i can’t be a vegan!

Lele February 27, 2012 at 4:57 pm

I looooooooooooove that grater moment, too!
I actually don’t own my own box grater, so I get really excited to use other peoples’ (and, uh, usually grate way too much cheese as a result).
There’s a similar thrill lifting up a mandoline. (Though in my case, it’s usually lifting up the mandoline with a finger with a band aid on it… since my mandoline always makes me bleed.)

Leila @ Spinach and Skittles March 2, 2012 at 9:25 pm

I had pimento cheese for the first time a month ago – crazy, right? It was pretty amazing. How did the lactaid work out for ya? I buy the costco brand, it’s a lot cheaper, fyi.