Grown & Sexy (Vegan) Spaghetti-Os

by Sarah on February 24, 2012 · 14 comments

Yesterday was all about the kids.

Today is all about the grown-ups.

Well, sort of.

Remember last October, when I suddenly had this crazy craving for Spaghetti-os, and I recreated them in a healthier, vegan (and more alphabetical) form?

Spaghetti-Os...Spaghetti-As...what's the difference, really?

Well, I din’t stop there. (Of course I didn’t stop there. Really, people…when will you ever learn?)

On Cocktails with Patrick–one of my favorite CosmoRadio shows–Patrick often uses the phrase, “for the grown and sexy.”

While it might not be sexy, this version of Spaghetti-(orz)Os is definitely grown…

And spicy.

I actually made this in October, but for some reason it kept getting pushed to the bottom of “new posts” stored away for a moment when I most needed them (sudden seizure or hospitalization perhaps?), but with Jenn leading the way in publishing long-lost, pre-move, already-photographed recipes, I figured, why keep it a secret any longer?The sauce starts the same: adding dried parsley, onion and garlic powders, and a little sweetness (with brown rice syrup) to tomato puree.* Of course, you need a heap of nutritional yeast for the appropriate cheesy affect.

*Tomato puree is unseasoned, whereas tomato sauce usually has some added salt and spice. If you can’t find puree…I’m sure sauce would suffice.The change comes in subsituting the very grown-up smoked paprika in lieu of the milder, more immature sweet stuff.

Things get REALLY sexy spicy when you throw in a finely diced chipotle in adobo sauce…and enough of the sauce as you can stand.Instead of Os (or alphabet-shaped pasta), use the slightly more adult orzo that YOU know is pasta, even though people tend to look for it in the rice section of the grocery store.Plays on words are for kids of all ages…so there’s no shame in giggling a bit every time you say Spaghetti-Orz-Os. :)

Come on. You know you want to. All the other kids are doing it.*

*And by doing it, I mean, of course "bringing it in their lunch boxes."

Grown & Spicy (Vegan) Spaghetti-(orz)Os

• 1 3/4 cup tomato puree
  • 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
  • 1 Tbsp. brown rice syrup
  • 3/4 tsp. onion powder
  • 3/4 tsp. garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
  • 1 tsp. dried parsley flakes
  • 1/2 Tbsp. smoked paprika
  • 1 chipotle in adobo, finely diced (plus as much of the sauce as you can handle)

orzo, cooked according to package directions

Combine all ingredients-except orzo– in a saucepan.

Bring to a simmer and cook 10-15 minutes, allowing flavors to develop.

Stir in (or serve on top of) cooked orzo.

Tweet about this on TwitterShare on FacebookEmail this to someonePin on Pinterest

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat February 24, 2012 at 7:31 am

I just might be making this tonight – simple but sounds delicious!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table February 24, 2012 at 7:55 am

I loved this the first time you did it – I even created my on with TJ’s roasted red pepper & tomato soup! Thanks for reminding me to bring it back again. I have 10 tomatoes on my counter to use up (don’y ask). LOVE the chipotle in it!

Kaila @healthyhelperblog! February 24, 2012 at 8:06 am

YES. These look SO good. I used to LOOOOVE spaghetti o’s!!

Fran@ Broken Cookies Don't Count February 24, 2012 at 8:26 am

This sounds really good! And easy! I keep trying to find whole wheat orzo, but I can only find it on line and very expensive. Have you ever seen it anywhere, Sarah?

Sarah February 24, 2012 at 8:29 am

I got mine in a bulk bin…try a natural food store, Wegman’s, Whole Foods…or anywhere else you might buy in bulk!

Tricia @ Saving room for dessert February 24, 2012 at 8:55 am

Gosh I’m feeling the peer pressure! Last night I had a dinner of saute spinach, kale, onion, canned white beans with marinara sauce from a jar. I swear you are rubbing off on me! Bringing it in my lunchbox? I am so far behind the times. Have a lovely weekend.

Lauren @ What Lauren Likes February 24, 2012 at 8:59 am

Love it! This looks great :)

Jessica February 24, 2012 at 12:18 pm

This looks fantastic! I was definitely one of those kids who was obsessed with spaghetti-o’s. Sometimes when I am grocery shopping and I see them, I get a craving….then I pick up the can and read the label and remember why I don’t eat them anymore! Can’t wait to give this recipe a try :)

Mattie @ Comfy and Confident February 24, 2012 at 3:26 pm

This look so so so good!

Clare February 24, 2012 at 11:28 pm

Ahh this looks so good!! Thanks for sharing :)

Sarah February 25, 2012 at 8:39 am

I love orzo – this does look yummy!

Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean February 25, 2012 at 6:47 pm

omg yes. making this for lunch tomorrow!

Heather January 12, 2014 at 6:45 pm

so i know this recipe was a long time ago… but i just rediscovered it on my “to-make” list! i was wondering how much orzo you used. thanks!

Sarah January 12, 2014 at 6:49 pm

I’m not 100% sure, but I think the recipe makes four servings…so four servings of orzo?