Teacher WORST Day

by Sarah on January 25, 2012 · 20 comments

A teacher work day implies slightly less stress than a usual day, as you get to wear jeans (or even sweatpants, depending on your principal), come in a little bit later, take a more leisurely lunch, and check items off of your to-do list without having to, you know, actually teach the small children. I usually quite enjoy teacher work days.
Until Monday.
When teacher work day turned into teacher worst day.
I went into the day with confidence. I had a blog post about my Baked Bean Chili due for the Breathe Magazine blog on Tuesday, but I’d worked on it over the weekend (for once, not procrastinating)* and was happy to have that off of my plate.
*Hope my editor’s not reading this…
Life was good. Until the post disappeared. My heart sank, as plans for a blogger meet-up/cooking class in Richmond were no longer feasible, but I trudged out into the gloomy day and decided to treat myself (with a gift card…) to having someone else make my coffee.
Somehow, I still ended up at school at the normal time (which is early–even on a ‘normal’ day–compared to the other teachers), so I used the extra time to try and center myself and frantically e-mail my editor and rewrite my post.*
*I hope my principal isn’t reading this…
Eventually I switched gears to planning and grading and report card-ing, with a side of plain and simple oatmeal, made in the workroom microwave.
I got into the zone of copying and prep and munched on an apple with a side of Word Study.
[Yes, your eyes are telling the truth. I like to sit in the dark when I'm alone in my classroom. It's nice to take a break from flourescence. (I'm not hiding, I swear.)]
As usual, I’d packed my lunch, and was excited to dig in to leftover Hot ‘n Southern Soup–
—with a side of “yes, I am in elementary school” carrot and celery sticks, with hummus (of course).
Unfortunately, no one had sent me the memo that there are usually organized lunches at this school on teacher work days. The theme of this one was “salads,” which y’all know I would have loved to contribute to! I felt a little left out, but went to eat lunch with everyone anyway. And, obviously, we’re elementary school teachers, so it’s not like they didn’t force me to take something.
I had two helpings each of three-bean salad and Texas caviar. And then I took some Texas caviar home. [It was so fresh, light, and delicious! It was a little bright (and black?)-eyed sweetness in the midst of a crazy day.]
It’s hard to say why I felt like this was such a horrid day. I think starting off with the stress and diappointment of my hard work going to waste, followed by hours of grading and copying and planning, only to find out I had still MORE meeting and testing and grading to do that I wasn’t aware of, for kids I am just getting to know, that caused me to feel so down in the dumps.
I nearly cried once or twice when told of a new project or task to add to the list. And then I really cried when I slammed my hand in the door of my classroom.
Seriously? (Do you see the bump?) Luckily, a trip to the gym re-centered me. I caught up with the Kardashians, bought my first place, and learned how you met my mother. [I have elliptical, TV-viewing ADD.]
I arrived home, hoping desparately to seek solace in cooking, but my roommate was in there, and I was in such a downer mood that I didn’t want to talk to anyone. Plans of dancing around the kitchen to Lady Antebellum dashed, I instead went straight to my room….where, while trying to retrieve photos from my extrenal hard drive, said hard drive crashed through the bottom of the box.
I don’t make this stuff up, people. But I do make some strange decisions…like snacking on some leftover steamed cauliflower (topped with nutritional yeast and Penzey’s Northwoods Seasoning) and roasted, cumin-dusted eggplant.
Is it weird to snack on cold, leftover cooked vegetables? Because I do it all the time.
Lunch prep commenced, involving a number of spills and “can I really not do ONE thing right?” sighs of frustration. I was just having a day, y’all. With the advice to “eat my favorite food” for dinner, I made this mountain of goodness in a bowl.
I do not apologize for the fact that luxuriate in a very large salad (complete with cold, roasted, delicata squash…pretty and pretty tasty) with hummus…all stirred around until it’s a big old mess of garbanzo-coated goodness. [Newman's Own Sesame Ginger Dressing optional.]
Nor do I apologize for using a legit baby fork.
Dinner: Part One was a success, not to be outdone by Dinner: Part Two. Ever since I was the age where it was actually OK to eat with baby forks, I’ve loved a big bowl of all-mixed-up (don’t know what to do*) cereal.
*311 allusion! What now?
What I didn’t know as a child was the surprising joy of burying strawberries and slightly thawed Trader Joe’s Frozen Mango underneath.
Mango juice infused almond milk makes a surprisingly yummy pairing with Barbara’s Blueberry Burst Shredded Minis.
The only way to end a miserable day is with a very happy snack. (While watching Downton Abbey, because you have determined that reading before bed is NOT an option when your mindset is so crummy.)
And yes, my smartypants students, there is a lesson in all of this.
Actually, there are three:
  1. When you look back on “the worst day ever” you realize how NOT horrible it really was. [Perspective is an incredible thing.]
  2. Slamming your hand in a door really hurts.
  3. In the morning, you get to start all over again. And if you’ve just had “the worst day ever,” it’s impossible for the next one to be as bad.*
*It wasn’t. :)

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table January 25, 2012 at 12:22 am

Oh sugar… that sounds like a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day (to quote one of my fav kids books, in your honor). At least you ate well!

I hope tomorrow is better! xo

Candy @ Healthy In Candy Land January 25, 2012 at 3:55 am

It does sound like a crappy day! I' m glad the next day was better. That salad looks like the perfect solution for such a bad day (although most people would wallow in a hot fudge sundae)– good for you for making the *smart* choice (pun intended).

Lauren January 25, 2012 at 4:28 am

Defs a bad day!! Delish eats though :)

Lindsay @ biking before bed January 25, 2012 at 7:38 am

The best thing about a bad day is that the next day can only be better! Glad you ended your day on a delicious note.

iheartvegetables.com January 25, 2012 at 7:56 am

Awww you poor thing! That sucks! What a crappy chain of events. And we missed you on Monday! But don't worry, we'll find another time for a meet up :)

michelle {the lively kitchen} January 25, 2012 at 8:51 am

Sorry for your bad day, but also so impressed with your perspective. I have to give myself reality checks a lot too, as I can be a bit of a martyr (who me?). You know, like 'so, I'm upset about a catty comment on facebook when there are people who don't even own a real book. Or food.'

ps- Texas still misses you!

Chelsea January 25, 2012 at 8:56 am

Why is it that when we're already having a bad day, the universe decides to make it worse by having even MORE things go wrong? :P I'm sure today will be a good day for you – the universe owes it to you! ;)

Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean January 25, 2012 at 9:06 am

awwww rough day girl! hope your hand is healing quickly and that your week is improving. i slammed my thumb in the fridge door at work the other day and almost LOST IT!. hurt so bad. xoxo

Alex@Spoonful of Sugar Free January 25, 2012 at 9:12 am

Awww :( We all have those days! Keep your head held high, tomorrow ill be better :D

Parita @ myinnershakti January 25, 2012 at 9:24 am

Oh that IS a rough day! I hope your hand gets better soon!

And I pretty much know that if my day starts off bad, it'll keep going that way. But then, I get up the next day and start over (praying for it to be better)!

atastelife January 25, 2012 at 10:01 am

I've had one of "those" days before! Hoping today (or yesterday or whenever) was/is much brighter!!!!!! And…almond butter makes ANY days 100% better. ;)

Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers January 25, 2012 at 10:35 am

Awww, poor hand. At least the eats were good. Having something unexpected and awful first thing in the morning can really hurt the rest of the day. Hopefully today's better!

homemadeadventure January 25, 2012 at 11:31 am

Love the perspective you shared at the end of the post. That always happens when I complain to my roommate about a bad day and I realize it actually wasn't that big of a deal! Hope your hand feels better!

Rachel @ My Naturally Frugal Family January 25, 2012 at 4:24 pm

Here is to tomorrow being better than today :)

Katie January 25, 2012 at 4:43 pm

Aw, I'm sorry about your hand Sarah :c
Perhaps yesterday was just a world-wide bad day, I know I partook too!
I think it's a habit of humans to think the worst things always happen to us. However, I really like how you turned it around and realized perhaps there are worse things, and that tomorrow is always a new day :)

(Not that sulky the-world-hates-me days aren't good for the mental health every once in a while….)

Julie at Burnt Carrots January 25, 2012 at 8:43 pm

Awwwww!!! I'm sorry you had such a rotten day! If it makes you feel any better, I'm happy to have found your blog and know that I'm not the only one who LOVES dancing (although I sing too) to Lady Antebellum!

teabagginit January 25, 2012 at 10:52 pm

i know that you weren't posting this for a pity party, but i just want to say that (of course!) everyone has bad days and we're all allowed to feel poopy when things don't go the way we wanted!
i once had a homeless, recovering crack addict tell me it was ok to be depressed from anxiety due to perfectionism. he said that we all have our issues and we have to just accept them and not feel guilty about them.
at that moment i wished i could demand all the money i'd shelled out to therapists!
own your bad days! they're yours and you're the one that had to live it!

Corrie Beebe January 26, 2012 at 12:18 pm

Ugh! Sorry about your hand and your rough day. Hope today is much better. And it should be becaaauuuuseee: I bought a kabocha (two actually) at the store on Tuesday. I had never heard of, or seen, kabocha before your blog, but I found some in my grocery! Now, a request: what is your best go-to recipe for a newbie kabocha introduction recipe? Please. :-)

becca @ blueberry smiles January 26, 2012 at 1:08 pm

Sucks to have a crappy day. I was in a rut yesterday too. Hope today is better!

caloricandcrazy January 27, 2012 at 11:12 pm

that cauliflower/eggplant dish looks lovely!