Dairy-Free? Me?

by Sarah on December 17, 2011 · 19 comments

So, although I’ve taken this “vegan with benefits” thing in stride, even embracing it, I would be lying if I said I didn’t sometimes miss the yogurt bowls of yumminess I used to eat every morning.

I mean, seriously.

My frozen yogurt obsession led me to test the limits of what I believed to be newly diagnosed [slash] long-masked lactose intolerance.But then I encountered this Pumpkin Spice Arctic Zero, claiming to be lactose intolerant-friendly. I was overjoyed! Hooray! I would be fine and still able to indulge in my pumpkin ice cream obsession. Turns out, Arctic Zero really meant Arctic Zero sleep. I was up tossing and turning (with stomach issues I will not discuss) all night.*
*And no, I didn’t eat the whole pint…
So I thought, well, perhaps I can’t tolerate whey protein either, or maybe it’s just cows! Which would have been OK, really, seeing as how when my family painted cows at Wine & Design over Thanksgiving, I refused to give my cow a number, saying that “On my farm, we name cows, not eat them.”But I missed yogurt. It’s true. I heard Gavin DeGraw’s song “Not Over You” and thought he was actually singing about my feelings towards yogurt:

If you ask me, how I’m doing
I would say I’m doing just fine
I would lie and say that you’re not on my mind
But I go out, and I sit down
With my fro-yo and my spoon*
And finally I’m forced to face the truth
*As usual, I’ve taken some liberties with the lyrics. :)

No matter what I say,
I’m
not over you.
A coupon for free Siggis that I, in all my frugality, refused to waste, made the decision positively clear:
I had to try again.
I topped it with a banana (as part of the B.R.A.T. “anti-GI-issue” Diet, I figured it would aid in digestion), as well as some Love Grown Foods* Raisin Almond Crunch Granola.
*Did I ever thank y’all for helping me make it as a Love Blogger? Thank you for voting!
Oh and it tasted so good…
…but then it hurt kind of bad(ly).

And, as much as I don’t like living a Gavin DeGraw song…
I don’t want to live a John Mellencamp song* either.

*See 1982 hit “Hurts So Good.”

——————–
So what do I do?
Do I follow Kath‘s advice and “Screw it. Just eat a big bowl of ice cream and go down happy”?*
Do I purchase a whole lot of Lactaid and hope for the best?
Do I simply suffer knowingly?
Do I give up dairy forever?

??????
*Only once (or twice?) a year…not every day or anything. :)

lindsay December 17, 2011 at 11:46 am

lactaid maybe? I buy goats milk, its easier on the tummy or the coconut yogurt. Tried that?

Lauren December 17, 2011 at 12:12 pm

I have a dairy sensitivity, but cannot give up my yogurt….to much love :)

Laura @ LauraLikesDesign December 17, 2011 at 12:16 pm

Aw, you poor thing! That would be so frustrating!

Anonymous December 17, 2011 at 1:33 pm

Dairy messes with me too. BUT I eat a lot of it (at least one cup of yogurt a day, in addition to cheese, etc etc). I think the mental side of things influence us more than anything. So I don't restrict myself from anything and I find that our mind and mentality has a greater influence on the body than does any food. (of course, I eat way too much of it…but I am a creature of habit :)

Maria December 17, 2011 at 2:07 pm

Our bodies are funny in how the adapt and tolerate dairy if we've been eating it all our lives and then, bam, cut it out and all heck breaks loose. I've given up dairy before and felt so much better without it and considered myself a bit lacto as well, then I forced it back into my life because I simply cannot give up cheese pizza and froyo. Sorry your experiment didn't work out :(

Kath December 17, 2011 at 2:18 pm

Well now you know :( And i only said screw it once a year on some Arch's – not regularly if it's making you sick!!

teabagginit December 17, 2011 at 3:35 pm

arctic zero gives me issues big time. i think it's the sweeteners they use … monk fruit extract or something like that!

Eden December 17, 2011 at 4:09 pm

I hate that arctic zero crap. Seriously!? It doesn't taste like fro yo or ice cream. I don't even trust their nutrition facts cause like the third ingredient is sugar but whatever…I think they use whey which can cause major stomach issues/bloating/gas etc. I don't think you have a dairy issue. Lay off the artificial food for a bit. I promise, have a bowl of REAL gelato and you a) will be in flavor heaven, b) should be ok stomach wise, and c) you won't get fat, promise!

PB&Jenny December 17, 2011 at 4:24 pm

you become best friends with Turtle Mountain Company :)

they have the BEST coconut milk based products. I'm a dairy queen (bad pun) but prefer their ice cream and yogurts!

Wishing you (and your tummy!) all the best!

PB&Jenny December 17, 2011 at 4:24 pm

you become best friends with Turtle Mountain Company :)

Wishing you (and your tummy!) all the best!

PB&Jenny December 17, 2011 at 4:24 pm

you become best friends with Turtle Mountain Company :)

Wishing you (and your tummy!) all the best!

PB&Jenny December 17, 2011 at 4:24 pm

you become best friends with Turtle Mountain Company :)

Wishing you (and your tummy!) all the best!

sluehring December 17, 2011 at 4:46 pm

I was SO excited about that artic zero that I bought because I am testing the 'non-dairy' waters as well..it must have something yuck in it-glad to know it's not just me!

I have had a semi-hard time giving up my cottage cheese and greek yogurt, but other than that it really has been worth it so far as my tummy troubles have been exponentially better!

I read that even small quantities once in awhile can truly wreck your digestive system if you're sensitive, which is why I decided to cut dairy out. I always figured the relatively small amounts I ate couldn't have done too much but apparently they did!

Good luck and just think about how much better you feel without. Also, creating some non-dairy fro yo very soon would make the world (or at least you and I) a happier place! banana soft serve has been sufficing lately..

Anonymous December 17, 2011 at 7:44 pm

I agree with Eden. It is not the dairy : it is the artificial crap (arctic zero is not real food), etc…

Eat actual food (the real stuff)…its like eggs…the whole yolk, the whole egg should be eaten.
All these low-cal and low-sugar things are just fabrications of a money-obsessed nation that pump us with fake ingredients and sugars.
REAL ICE CREAM (with real fat and real cream and real sugar).

Ashley @ Freckles and Spice December 18, 2011 at 9:58 am

Have you tried coconut milk or almond yogurt??
These are things I've been wanting to try. I did try soy yogurt and it was honestly the worst thing I have ever tasted. I even dumped half a can of pumpkin in it, and I still could not manage to eat it. But I have heard good things about the coconut.

Susan December 18, 2011 at 10:33 am

I know I physically feel better giving up dairy. Sometimes I'll have a bite when I want some, but it usually reminds me that it's not worth the pain and discomfort. I think it's just evaluating which is more important to you! No shame either way.

Butter, thankfully, has not been a problem for me.

Christin@purplebirdblog December 19, 2011 at 11:00 am

I thought I had the dairy thing for a while, but it turned out to be the gluten thing instead. I still feel funny if I eat crap tons of dairy (as I'm known to occasionally do), but otherwise I do alright. I torture myself with the gluten thing just like you're doing with the dairy though, until it hurts so bad and I remember that I have issues and knock it off again for a while, until I forget and push the limits again, etc. and so forth. I find higher fat dairy and goat's dairy really doesn't have as many negative side effects if I do decide to dairy over-do-it. And So Delicious coconut milk yogurts are pretty rockin'.

Fran@BCDC December 21, 2011 at 12:34 pm

I'm so excited that a frozen yogurt place just opened about 5 miles away. I say try it occassionally and see how you do!

Leila @ Spinach and Skittles December 27, 2011 at 12:01 am

I down lots of lactaid, and as long as I limit myself to 1-2 servings of dairy a day I am ok…but have discovered some dairy filled items give me more problems than others.