A Holiday Bowl (WIthout the Football)

by Sarah on December 29, 2011 · 15 comments

Leftover cranberries in your fridge?*
*Perhaps from making a little Cranberry Guacamole with all of its red-and-green holiday cheer?
Apples from the orchard you somehow didn’t eat yet* and are now getting a wee bit soft?
*Despite the obsession with roasting them?
Excessive amounts of rosemary?^
^Or perhaps you are just obsessed with putting rosemary in everything?*
*Good thing those little plastic containers you buy for $2.99 in the produce section of most grocery stores are like clown cars for rosemary sprigs.

Obviously there is only one thing left to do:

Throw everything into a pot and see what happens!
And if you are even so lucky as to have just a smidge of applesauce left in the jar after the multitude of ‘healthified’ cookie experiments you’ve undertaken in the past few weeks,*
*Five batches in the past three days alone!
…well, you’ve got not only a natural sweetener for your Rosemary-Spiked Cran-apple^ Sauce (although a little extra honey helps)–
^I did almost just shorten that to ‘Crapple’…but realized that gave the wrong connotation.

–but a perfect storage vessel as well!

It turns out, however, that I’m not the first person to think of rosemary-infused cranberry sauce. [Apparently Joe the Trader thought of it awhile ago and has been making some sort of rosemary and cranberry cracker ever since.] But I just might be the first person to put it on Sweet Potato Grits!
And even if I’m not, I don’t care.

It seemed like an ingenius idea at the time…especially since the ginormous (and incredibly, incredibly) sweet potatoes Mama Smart’s been buying from Shop Rite of all places…

…tend to result in lots of leftovers.
[And yes, following the first time she saw me rabidly attack the roasted sweet potato skins and drippings from the roasting pan, Mama Smart saved the skin for me.]
If you’ve got cornmeal…

…and you’ve got sweet potatoes*…
*Which, with the holiday greens in the background of this photo, appear a bit more like oversized, deformed, and discolored carrots, do they not?

…well, why not just mix ‘em together?
A nice dose of cumin, a dash of salt, and just a hint of cinnamon rounds out the flavor. [I also suggest adding some nutritional yeast for just a hint of non-dairy cheesiness.]

It’s like Thanksgiving* in a breakfast^ bowl.
*Because I know everyone loooooooves Christmas, but I’d rather keep Thanksgiving around a bit longer, thankyouverymuch.
^Or lunch, or dinner, or snacktime. I don’t discriminate.
Rosemary Apple Cranberry Sauce
[Makes about 2 1/2 cups]
1 1/2 cups water
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 1/2 cups fresh cranberries
1 1/2 cups chopped apples
2 Tbsp. fresh rosemary leaves, chopped
1/4 tsp. salt
1-2 tsp. honey (optional)
1. Bring water to a boil in a small saucepan over medium heat.
2. Add remaining ingredients and return to a boil. [Cranberries will begin to pop and soften.]
3. Cook 10-20 minutes, until sauce has reduced, thickened, and reached desired consistency.
———————–
Sweet Potato Grits
[Serves 2]
2-3 cups water
1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
1/4 cup roasted sweet potato, mashed
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
dash of cinnamon
salt + pepper, to taste
1-2 Tbsp. nutritional yeast (optional)
1. Bring 2 cups water to boil over medium heat.
2. Slowly pour in cornmeal, whisking constantly.
3. Once grits have thickened, stir in sweet potato, adding more water to thin out if necessary.
4. Season to taste.

Fran@BCDC December 29, 2011 at 7:46 am

This sounds yummy! I only tried grits recently for the first time at Cracker Barrel of all places. With a recipe, I might try my own. Thanks, Sarah!

Tricia @ saving room for dessert December 29, 2011 at 8:16 am

Do you know what 'GRITS' stands for? Girls raised in the south! Love grits – especially from Cracker Barrel. The apple cranberry combo is speaking to me! Have a lovely day.

Lauren December 29, 2011 at 8:48 am

how cool! I need to try this :)

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table December 29, 2011 at 9:31 am

Sweet potato grits… mmmm… I turned mine into oatmeal. I think polenta may need to happen in the very near future.

Jennifer W. December 29, 2011 at 9:48 am

love cranberries – I make a homemade orange cinnamon cranberry sauce every holiday – it goes great w/ turkey and waffles! Now I may have to try it on oatmeal

Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean December 29, 2011 at 11:53 am

i love flavored applesauce!! the pear kind used to be my fav.

sarah @ sarah learns December 29, 2011 at 2:03 pm

i made cranberry sauce for the first time this year and i love love it! i wish i wasn't hard to find cranberries in wisconsin anytime other than the holidays. which is ironic since one of wisconsin's biggest food industry is cranberries…. bet ya didn't know that.

(or maybe you did bc of your family in wisconsin?)

Courtney Foster December 29, 2011 at 2:52 pm

Okay i love this combo and have to make it! hopefully my MO self can make some good grits! I love me some grits!

Alex@Spoonful of Sugar Free December 29, 2011 at 3:20 pm

LOVE this flavor combo!!! Looks fabulous :D I've been obsessed with sweet taters + rosemary lately…

raceready December 29, 2011 at 6:07 pm

I love sweet potatoes in any form, yum!

Thomas G December 30, 2011 at 10:22 am

That looks absolutely delish!

Ash @ Freckles & Spice December 30, 2011 at 9:46 pm

OMG Sarah! I have openly professed that sweet potatoes might be my favorite food all over my blog. And I am a southern girl at heart with a deep love for grits. This is genius!

Ash @ Freckles & Spice December 30, 2011 at 9:46 pm