All Aboard the Crazy Train!

by Sarah on November 23, 2011 · 15 comments

You know, I realized something after my drive across the country on Monday: I need to stop saying “I’m not a normal person” and just call a spade ‘a spade.’* Or, in this case, call insanity ‘insanity.’
*Does this expression come from people cheating in poker? Or were two gardeners hanging around one day arguing over their tools?

Enough with the euphemisms: I am really just a crazy person.

Ordinary: Driving across one or two state lines each day, stopping at night to be well rested for each days travels.
Crazy: Seven states* in less than 24 hours.
*The first being Texas. But there’s no photo for that.^

^In case you counted.[Insert some sort of "palmetto and moon" symbol for South Carolina.
That state flew by sometime between the hours of midnight and 2:00 AM.]

Ordinary: Writing a thank-you note or bringing a bottle of wine (or other hostess gift) to your “Little Sis” who woke up at 2:00AM to let you into her house, give you a glass of water, and show you to the most comfortable bed in which you’ve ever slept.

Crazy: Repaying her with a bag of Trader Joe’s White Cheddar Corn Puffs that you unearth from the depths of your vehicle. [And then posting a pre-shower photo of her on the internet. Love you, Little!]Ordinary: Starting your trip with a hearty, but not uncomfortably filling, breakfast of oatmeal and Pumpkin-Spiced Pecan Butter.
Crazy: Wrapping the jar in a paper towel and then aluminum foil to create a makeshift Thermos until you are ready to eat it.*
*You can laugh…but it worked!Ordinary: Enjoying some fruit on the road.

[Including a most delicious Sweetango apple, purchased with my Whole Foods voucher.]

Crazy: Packing an entire fruit basket……and produce bag of bananas.*
*All of which at one point took an extreme brake-induced nose-dive into the front of the car, resulting in a slightly bruised apple and some squished bananas that I ate for breakfast anyway.Ordinary: Worrying a little bit about the potential of theft at rest stops due to having your entire life packed into your car.Crazy: Having one of your best friends from college* tell you she’s not worried about anyone breaking into your car, since the sight of “whole grain wheat cereal” doesn’t look like anything a thief would want.
*See above.^
^If she’s forgiven me for that photo.
[Yes, that is Weetabix in the window. I told y'all I was getting creative with my packing...]

Ordinary: Packing snacks for the road.Crazy: Driving with those snacks lurking behind your left shoulder the entire time.Ordinary: Trying to stay healthy while traveling.Crazy: Staying healthy by eating hummus in the car.Ordinary: Not wanting to throw away rather expensive (and incredibly yummy) relish just because you were moving.
Crazy: Eating it straight from the jar with a fork!*
*Don’t worry, this was a reenactment. Or maybe you should worry…about the fact that I felt the need to reenact it at all.

Ordinary: Buying a few packs of gum for the trip.
Crazy: Chewing almost all of it.Ordinary: Having a lot to unpack when you arrive at your destination.
Crazy:
Also having to wash dishes.

foodfamilyfitness.com November 23, 2011 at 7:35 am

you are a driving machine!!!! I need to travel with you, you have good driving food :)

Jen@FoodFamilyFitness

Tricia @ saving room for dessert November 23, 2011 at 8:10 am

Welcome to the East Coast! So glad you had a successful, safe – not at all hungry – adventure! Happy Thanksgiving.

Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean November 23, 2011 at 8:38 am

haha love that you have so many dishes to wash when you get someplace. glad you made it safely in one piece!

Sara November 23, 2011 at 8:59 am

M husband and I join you on the insanity train. When we moved to Georgia from Alaska we went from AK to Montana in one swoop. A roughly 48 hour drive. And indeed my car had become tetris (thank God border patrol didn't make us pull everything out! I would have cried!) and we had the most interesting array of food for the drive… whew.

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table November 23, 2011 at 9:20 am

I can't believe all of that travel food! Wait… yes, I can. If there's ever a nuclear disaster, I'm coming to stay with you.

P.S. I made a jack up version of your spaghetti-os last night. I'm in love.

atastelife November 23, 2011 at 10:57 am

THANK YOU FOR THE PACKAGE!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so excited to dig in – the mini jam jars are just precious. Almost too precious to open. (I said "almost.") And I've totally been that girl to eat hummus while driving…and there's always a lunchbox next to me if the drive is over 2 hours. True.story.

And I know I'm not normal either.

Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers November 23, 2011 at 11:09 am

I would accept payment in the form of White Cheddar Corn Puffs. :) Glad you made it safely!

teabagginit November 23, 2011 at 11:43 am

if you're not normal, than neither am i. my passenger is my lunch box & i like it that way.
i've buckled in my box of food on road trips to prevent nose dives into the abyss!

Christin@purplebirdblog November 23, 2011 at 12:12 pm

I wrapped the mason jar I keep my spirulina in in foil to keep out light… and aliens. ;)

Maria November 23, 2011 at 1:03 pm

Oh Miss Sarah, you just made my morning with this post.

Glad you are safe and sound. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Katie November 23, 2011 at 5:56 pm

What..you mean normal people don't go through gum by like a pack a day, and don't eat hummus/entire trees of fruit on car trips?

I join you in derangement then :)

Happy Thanksgiving!

iheartvegetables.com November 23, 2011 at 11:17 pm

What?! Who doesn't want whole grain cereal? If I didn't want someone to break into my car, I'd hide my valuables under a bag of doritos. No one needs those.

YAY For traveling and coming to the great state of Virginia! :)

Leila @ Spinach and Skittles November 24, 2011 at 12:02 am

LOL, when we moved to San Diego I totally had a bag of creepster Kettle chips hanging out behind me. I'm glad you arrived safe and sound!

Diana @ VeggieNextDoor November 24, 2011 at 12:03 am

So glad to see you made it safely!

To me it looks like "crazy" might just be another word for FUN!… And a little "fun" is probably the only way you kept your sanity during such a long & tiring drive!

Fran@BCDC November 24, 2011 at 11:25 am

You would get along well with my husband. He usually takes cross country trips like that!